Passport stolen whilst abroad(from Thailand)

Got emergency one from Brit consul,plus visa until 2 Sept 14 from Thai consul. I already have retirement visa, showed in stolen passport which presumably is held on computer ,and have copy of such...question is ..... valid until (the emergency passport )until March 15 2015 ,will Thai immigration transfer my retirement visa into it my emergency one,so I can use it until that date ?

got a date from Brit embassy to replace the stolen one, ( I fill the passports that quickly,only had two pages left in stolen one,with another 7 years left on it) it seems a good opp to take advantage of using a few pages up of the emergency one until time up next year

Wherever you are, if you are overseas, then it will probably take 8-10 weeks for your replacement passport to arrive and even if you have the ETD you will need to go to that same country to collect your passport.

My understanding from the British Embassy BKK is that the ETD is only good for the journey which is written up in the observation notes.

The Embassy indicated to me that Thai Immigration might also not accept an ETD for new extensions but it should be ok as regards transfer of extension details, but whether this is actually the case or not has not is yet to be reported.

If your plan is to travel to Thailand and apply here, then allow 10 weeks from application to collection with an extra 2-4 weeks wait for an application appointment at trendy BKK.

The Thai visa in your ETD will give you until the 2 Sept, which is almost certainly not enough, however it has been reported that Thai immigration departments have been asked from high up to help when possible UK citizens trapped in the British Passport application fiasco to resolve these kind of problems, so you might be in luck.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Wherever you are, if you are overseas, then it will probably take 8-10 weeks for your replacement passport to arrive and even if you have the ETD you will need to go to that same country to collect your passport.

My understanding from the British Embassy BKK is that the ETD is only good for the journey which is written up in the observation notes.

The Embassy indicated to me that Thai Immigration might also not accept an ETD for new extensions but it should be ok as regards transfer of extension details, but whether this is actually the case or not has not is yet to be reported.

If your plan is to travel to Thailand and apply here, then allow 10 weeks from application to collection with an extra 2-4 weeks wait for an application appointment at trendy BKK.

The Thai visa in your ETD will give you until the 2 Sept, which is almost certainly not enough, however it has been reported that Thai immigration departments have been asked from high up to help when possible UK citizens trapped in the British Passport application fiasco to resolve these kind of problems, so you might be in luck.

Thanks for the information

Just to follow up yes am now in Thailand. The retirement visa was good until 1 Nov 14,and will go to immigration and put it to them,see how they respond. I have quite a few weeks left anyway.

The thief was caught,but no passport,looks as though I might make a similar MH370 flight in the future

Have got interview date at BKK ,and really do not want to go back to where I reported the passport stolen

I assume you only got a tourist visa at the Thai embassy.

I also assume you had an extension of stay you got from immigration not a visa. If you had a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate it is gone with the passport and cannot be re-instated.

When you go to immigration make sure you have a copy of the police report for the stolen passport.

I also assume you had a valid re-entry permit in your stolen passport. Do you have copy of it?

If you have all the above immigration should reinstate you extension and re-entry permit into the ETD and change your permuted to stay date the date your extension was valid to.

Just to follow up yes am now in Thailand. The retirement visa was good until 1 Nov 14,and will go to immigration and put it to them,see how they respond. I have quite a few weeks left anyway.

The thief was caught,but no passport,looks as though I might make a similar MH370 flight in the future

Have got interview date at BKK ,and really do not want to go back to where I reported the passport stolen

Understood, you used the ETD to travel back to Thailand from where your passport was stolen and have arrived here on your ETD, thanks for the extra info.

Thai Immigration in some areas require a letter from the British Embassy confirming new passport issue and asking for stamps to be transferred.

In your case such an Embassy letter may serve to prove that your passport was indeed stolen along with the local police report proving why the old item cannot be produced for transfer and as to how you got to Thailand.

The Embassy letter may also help you again at your passport application. in that the new procedure requires that you bring a full copy of your passport (which you obviously no longer have) from front to back .

Trendy Towers are mere a contract agent, they are not HMPO staff, they are probably not contracted to think, so anything out of the ordinary may throw a spanner in the works - the more supporting paperwork that you can produce the smoother it may run.

Please post your experiences (better in the thread on this forum called 'Changes to British Passport Services in Thailand'.

It would also be very interesting to see a scan of the observation page in your ETD (with any personal/ID data removed) showing the text of your approved journey.

Good Luck

Think this is the gist of it.

The thief (I think I have got over a barrel) yes was the thief. Likes travelling to the USA frequently,as the thief was arrested questioned and searched is enough for the visa waiver process to be denied and I informed the thief of that,full blown visa has to be applied for. Sent me a load of threatening emails if I reveal to US immigration if I do just that,I replied if payment was received for all the inconvenience (had to stay another 2 weeks to sort things out and get cheaper flights)

Even if thief reimburses me all the expenses, I might wait a while and do just that

Not bothered about re-entry stamp at this stage,cannot see myself going anywhere for a bit. Looks as if I have caught another dose of pneumonia and on meds accordingly. Always coming from cold weather into hot one,first bad cold ,then onto chest,left alone it certainly gathers a'pace

Yes was visa extension

post-208811-0-44261600-1405045438_thumb.

post-208811-0-76070500-1405045488_thumb.

Edited by loppylugs1

I mentioned the re-entry permit as being needed if you were trying to get a an extension of stay reinstated.

Now I assume you a visa not an extension of stay based upon retirement.

You will have to go somewhere by Sept. 2 or apply for a 30 day extension for your 60 day tourist visa entry.

Hopefully you will have a new passport by October or you will end up on an overstay.

I mentioned the re-entry permit as being needed if you were trying to get a an extension of stay reinstated.

Now I assume you a visa not an extension of stay based upon retirement.

You will have to go somewhere by Sept. 2 or apply for a 30 day extension for your 60 day tourist visa entry.

Hopefully you will have a new passport by October or you will end up on an overstay.

Yes am on visa extension,on retirement visa,had it for some mmm 5 years or so,prob longer. Think immigration offices closed today,will try next week,anyway I quite like Penang . Queen Vic and all that stuff

The thief (I think I have got over a barrel) yes was the thief. Likes travelling to the USA frequently,as the thief was arrested questioned and searched is enough for the visa waiver process to be denied and I informed the thief of that,full blown visa has to be applied for. Sent me a load of threatening emails if I reveal to US immigration if I do just that,I replied if payment was received for all the inconvenience (had to stay another 2 weeks to sort things out and get cheaper flights)

Even if thief reimburses me all the expenses, I might wait a while and do just that

Not bothered about re-entry stamp at this stage,cannot see myself going anywhere for a bit. Looks as if I have caught another dose of pneumonia and on meds accordingly. Always coming from cold weather into hot one,first bad cold ,then onto chest,left alone it certainly gathers a'pace

Yes was visa extension

Thanks for the scans - very informative.

As you have the police report plus the ETD observations page states that it replaced your passport, which was declared as lost, then the Embassy Letter may well not be necessary.

Definitely bowl up to your local immigration that previously issued your retirement Extension/Re-entry Permit, they will be able to access your details through your stated old passport number and then transfer the stamps to your ETD.

Only issue I can see is that you entered Thailand this time on a TR Visa, but in the current climate how else could you have entered?

Pretty sure immigration will re-instate your Retirement extension and re-entry permit, however is the original Retirement Extension expiry date before or after the ETD expiry date.

Good luck and please do let the forum know how it goes.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Yes was visa extension

Thanks for the scans - very informative.

As you have the police report plus the ETD observations page states that it replaced your passport, which was declared as lost, then the Embassy Letter may well not be necessary.

Definitely bowl up to your local immigration that previously issued your retirement Extension/Re-entry Permit, they will be able to access your details through your stated old passport number and then transfer the stamps to your ETD.

Only issue I can see is that you entered Thailand this time on a TR Visa, but in the current climate how else could you have entered?

Pretty sure immigration will re-instate your Retirement extension and re-entry permit, however is the original Retirement Extension expiry date before or after the ETD expiry date.

Good luck and please do let the forum know how it goes.

Retirement visa extension was good to up and until 1 Nov 14

Please post your experiences (better in the thread on this forum called 'Changes to British Passport Services in Thailand'.

I think it would be better if the OP posted his experiences in this thread (as, in fact, he appears to be doing). ETD's have been around ever since we had to start sending our renewal applications to Hong Kong, and the issue of whether or not a retirement extension can be transferred into an ETD from a stolen passport really does not IMHO have any bearing on the ridiculous procedural changes introduced in March - which are the subject of the "Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand" thread.

In any event, any reporting-back which the OP might choose to post in that particular thread is liable to get overlooked among the welter of posts which it is generating - and is likely to continue doing so until such time as HMPO finally come to their senses.

Edited by OJAS

I think it would be better if the OP posted his experiences in this thread (as, in fact, he appears to be doing). ETD's have been around ever since we had to start sending our renewal applications to Hong Kong, and the issue of whether or not a retirement extension can be transferred into an ETD from a stolen passport really does not IMHO have any bearing on the ridiculous procedural changes introduced in March - which are the subject of the "Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand" thread.

In any event, any reporting-back which the OP might choose to post in that particular thread is liable to get overlooked among the welter of posts which it is generating - and is likely to continue doing so until such time as HMPO finally come to their senses.

Fair point.

Maybe it would have been better to write 'as well, please post your experiences on the Extension transfer to the ETD in the thread 'Changes to British Passport Services in Thailand'.

I suggested that the OP posted in the big thread primarily because there are going to be qute a few looking for information on doing stuff with ETDs over the next few months, whist they are waiting for their new passports to arrive during the diabolically long 10 week waiting period.