What is the true situation for people on overstays?

My school just hired a teacher. This person told me (as I am the lead teacher) that she is on an expired visa (13 months) and needs to do a border run. So what is the real situation? Can this person do a visa run and pay the overstay fine? Or have the new regulations kicked in and this person will not be allowed back in Thailand?

Please, no preaching. I am looking for people who have knowledge of what the current situation is. Thank you.

Edited by wangsuda

The new overstay rules have not started yet because they are waiting for approval.

If they go out for a visa (not an exempt entry) they can pay the 20k baht fine on departure. And then return.

It would be best it they could go out for a single entry non-b visa.

• Like 2

I am not in charge of hiring or firing. I just get all the headaches LOL

Thanks for your clear response. Just out of curiosity, is the Nong Khai crossing still good? Might as well recommend a crossing for her.

Nong Khai is not a problem at the moment.

Getting there could be a problem because of martial law there are a lot of additional cheek points so there is a greater risk of getting caught with an overstay on the way to the border.

• Like 1

I heard about some guy at Nong Khai border with 7 months overstay was refused to leave and given 7 days to leave Thailand. Something like that.

I'd leave via the airport rather than a land border. Anyone know of anyone who has left recently via an airport with a big overstay?

'

Edited by rkidlad

I heard about some guy at Nong Khai border with 7 months overstay was refused to leave and given 7 days to leave Thailand.

I'd leave via the airport rather than a land border.

There is a need for more info about this.

Did the person have the documents and the intent to apply for a visa while in Laos. I suspect not and they had the intention of doing an exempt entry.

I heard about some guy at Nong Khai border with 7 months overstay was refused to leave and given 7 days to leave Thailand.

Did the person have the documents and the intent to apply for a visa while in Laos. I suspect not and they had the intention of doing an exempt entry.

The said person was with a visa run company going to obtain a single or double tourist visa from the embassy in Laos.

When at the border, he was berated by the IO for being 7 months overstayed and told he had 7 days to leave Thailand. He didn't continue into Laos with the visa run company.

The said person was with a visa run company going to obtain a single or double tourist visa from the embassy in Laos.

When at the border, he was berated by the IO for being 7 months overstayed and told he had 7 days to leave Thailand. He didn't continue into Laos with the visa run company.

There could well be other reasons for the immigration officers decision. It is not something that would normally be done.

It cannot be said that the same thing will happen to everybody.

Thai immigration cannot deny you leaving the country when you have paid the overstay. In fact, you must leave the country.

What they probably did is deny him to leave the country at that border, as they feared he could only return to Thailand, which they didn't want as they suspect him not being a genuine tourist or because they wanted to impose the new overstay rules and ban him from entry based on that.

They probably gave him 7 days to in order for him to buy a ticket home.

My understanding has always been that its potentially risky to try and pay the 20k maximum overstay anywhere other than the airport with a ticket out of Thailand in your hand. Its possible that in other circumstances you could be detained.

By the way, the OP mentioned an expiered visa. this has no real significance, technically a visa does not expire as it simply passes the date beyond which entry into Thailand must take place. The entry stamp is all that matters. A 12 month O or B multi entry visa is good for 15 months, for example.

Do not go to a border and try to pay overstay. Currant climate, go to the airport pay the 20k and FLY to Laos, take all your job documents etc and then FLY back again with a none imm Visa. Forget all borders completely. They are on some kind of power trip at the min. They will not refuse you entry via the airport with a none imm visa YET! but be quick about it.

• Like 1

Immigration officer maybe thought that even with visa this guy would not be let in. And he got 7 days straight away and saved visafees.

My understanding has always been that its potentially risky to try and pay the 20k maximum overstay anywhere other than the airport with a ticket out of Thailand in your hand. Its possible that in other circumstances you could be detained.

By the way, the OP mentioned an expiered visa. this has no real significance, technically a visa does not expire as it simply passes the date beyond which entry into Thailand must take place. The entry stamp is all that matters. A 12 month O or B multi entry visa is good for 15 months, for example.

"...technically a visa does not expire as it simply passes the date beyond which entry into Thailand must take place. The entry stamp is all that matters. A 12 month O or B multi entry visa is good for 15 months, for example."

This is not true, technically or otherwise. Visas expire. You are not legally in Thailand because of the visa. You are legally in Thailand because of the permission to stay given to you by Immigrations.

The visa I used to enter Thailand the last time expired something like 7 years ago. I'm not in the country because of the visa. I'm here because I've been granted annual extensions of stay by Immigrations.

• Like 2

Getting there could be a problem because of martial law there are a lot of additional cheek points so there is a greater risk of getting caught with an overstay on the way to the border.

If you get caught on an overstay, wouldn't they just take you to the border anyway?

If you get caught on an overstay, wouldn't they just take you to the border anyway?

Eventually, after being locked up in the immigration detention centre and then deported, if you can afford it.

If you are asking would they take you to any bordering country - no.

• Like 1

Do not go to a border and try to pay overstay. Currant climate, go to the airport pay the 20k and FLY to Laos, take all your job documents etc and then FLY back again with a none imm Visa. Forget all borders completely. They are on some kind of power trip at the min. They will not refuse you entry via the airport with a none imm visa YET! but be quick about it.

Maybe, maybe not...who knows at the moment? They might not like the look of you and deny entry...no definites involved here.

And all this assumes that a visa is granted in the first place. Who knows they may see this as a back to back entry and refuse............

I have a question for the experts out there. Can you pay your fine at DM airport or only Swampy?

I'm trying to help out a friend who is 30 days overstay and I don't want to book him a flight at Donmuang if he can't pay his fine there.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have a question for the experts out there. Can you pay your fine at DM airport or only Swampy?

I'm trying to help out a friend who is 30 days overstay and I don't want to book him a flight at Donmuang if he can't pay his fine there.

One can pay overstay fines at any land border or international airport post.

"...technically a visa does not expire as it simply passes the date beyond which entry into Thailand must take place. The entry stamp is all that matters. A 12 month O or B multi entry visa is good for 15 months, for example."

This is not true, technically or otherwise. Visas expire. You are not legally in Thailand because of the visa. You are legally in Thailand because of the permission to stay given to you by Immigrations.

The visa I used to enter Thailand the last time expired something like 7 years ago. I'm not in the country because of the visa. I'm here because I've been granted annual extensions of stay by Immigrations.

Best post re: "expiry of a visa yet.

Nail right on the head brother.

Emphasis on the "permission to stay....". wai.gif

Maybe, maybe not...who knows at the moment? They might not like the look of you and deny entry...no definites involved here.

And all this assumes that a visa is granted in the first place. Who knows they may see this as a back to back entry and refuse............

First thing that they will notice is that RED stamp........

Airport, yea.

Land border......?

At this precise moment with all the hoopla......well........????????

Airport, yea.

Land border......?

Yes, the issue is coming back with no visa or questionable visa.

No issue in paying overstay and leaving.

Beside, one can leave by land and return by air.

Airport, yea.

Land border......?

Yes, the issue is coming back with no visa or questionable visa.

No issue in paying overstay and leaving.

Beside, one can leave by land and return by air.

Well, you and anyone can say and think what they want.

What it all comes down to is timing and rules.

Luckily I'm not nor have I ever been an overstayer, so call me ignorant.

I do however KNOW Thailand.

So, You're on your own guys and gals.

If it was me I'd get my butt outa here via airport quick as I could.

Get yourself a NEW passport (no overstay stamp).

Get a visa (depends of course on your intention, etc as to what kind).

And then just waltz on in with a bright smile on your face.

Now, next and most important.

Follow the rules.

This is Thailand.

We falang are NOT Thai.

The rules is the rules.

Follow 'em or ya lose kap wai.gif

• Like 1

Airport, yea.

Land border......?

Forgive me but I have never been in thus position. Am I right in assuming he will be ok to fly back on the same day or should he leave it a few days?

Airport, yea.

Land border......?

Forgive me but I have never been in thus position. Am I right in assuming he will be ok to fly back on the same day or should he leave it a few days?

Well, use your brain a bit.

Flying back on the same exact day would look a fishy, eh ?

Especially with the current climate.

And, how does one get a visa in one day anyway ?

Did you read my earlier statement about what I would do ?

I dont understand whats sohard since new law is not in effect.

If on overstay get a rt ticket to cambodia. Got to airport, pay fine, fly out, fly back get 30 more days.

Or apply for a visa in a cambodia.

Sent from my iPhone

1: Buy a ticket back home

2: Go to the airport

3: Pay the overstay

4: Get in your country a new passport

5: Go to Thai Embassy/Consulate and get a new visa

6: Come back

7: Never get overstay again

Don't wait to long, the rules getting changed