50-year-old elephant killed for tusks in Ayutthaya

webfact

50-year-old elephant killed for tusks in Ayutthaya

BANGKOK: -- A 50-year-old elephant was drugged to death in Ayutthaya Thursday night and the assailants saw off its tusks.

Its mahout, Phan Salangarm, told police that he left the elephant chained by a river in the evening came back to find it dead Friday morning.

He said the elephant was apparently killed by a highly poisonous substance.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-11

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ayutthaya elephant poisoned for ivory
By Digital Content

14050586989385.jpg

AYUTTHAYA, July 11 -- A male elephant was found dead inside the compound of the Ayutthaya Elephant Palace & Royal Kraal in this central province today, and the authorities believe the elephant was poisoned for its ivory.

Police officers from Ayutthaya Police Station inspected the scene at Suan Prik subdistrict, Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya district, finding a male elephant named Klao, age 50, dead near a small woods, next to the elephant kraal. Both of its tusks were cut off and taken away.

The tusks were about 5-6 inches in diameter. Police believe the elephant was dead for at least 9-10 hours before being discovered.

The authorities surmised that the suspects must have drugged the elephant during the night and waited until it fell before cutting away its tusks.

Ayutthaya Elephant Palace & Royal Kraal owner Laithongrian Meephan said the deceased elephant came to live at the camp in 1999, but was kept for only special occasions as he resembles a mighty elephant, Phraya Kotchasarn, the Great Elephant.

The owner said each tusk have been at least 1 metre in length.

He pleaded for the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to help with the case, as the council has asked for cooperation in restraining from possessing weapons, making it difficult to keep the culprits at bay.

At present, the police are inspecting whether the elephant was poisoned, and will track the suspects to ensure success in making an arrest. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-11

By Digital Content

14050586989385.jpg

AYUTTHAYA, July 11 -- A male elephant was found dead inside the compound of the Ayutthaya Elephant Palace & Royal Kraal in this central province today, and the authorities believe the elephant was poisoned for its ivory.

Police officers from Ayutthaya Police Station inspected the scene at Suan Prik subdistrict, Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya district, finding a male elephant named Klao, age 50, dead near a small woods, next to the elephant kraal. Both of its tusks were cut off and taken away.

The tusks were about 5-6 inches in diameter. Police believe the elephant was dead for at least 9-10 hours before being discovered.

The authorities surmised that the suspects must have drugged the elephant during the night and waited until it fell before cutting away its tusks.

Ayutthaya Elephant Palace & Royal Kraal owner Laithongrian Meephan said the deceased elephant came to live at the camp in 1999, but was kept for only special occasions as he resembles a mighty elephant, Phraya Kotchasarn, the Great Elephant.

He pleaded for the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to help with the case, as the council has asked for cooperation in restraining from possessing weapons, making it difficult to keep the culprits at bay.

At present, the police are inspecting whether the elephant was poisoned, and will track the suspects to ensure success in making an arrest. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-07-11

Looking at this poor elephant.... as he resembles a mighty elephant, Phraya Kotchasarn, the Great Elephant .it dosent look to much like the Mighty Elephant in this pic.... i say a decent feed would have done wonders..maybe it starved to death.. and someone ?, took the op to take the tusks

The mahout forgot to add first that he was paid to leave his elephant chained by the river and told not to come back till morning. There's no way these mahouts would leave their elephants out of sight.

In Samut Prakarn were always a few mahouts with elephants who went from house to house to make money and they always went drinking lao kao when the money was enough, let the Elephants (2-3) stay at a grassy place with a lot rubbish.

By Digital Content

14050586989385.jpg

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-07-11

Looking at this poor elephant.... as he resembles a mighty elephant, Phraya Kotchasarn, the Great Elephant .it dosent look to much like the Mighty Elephant in this pic.... i say a decent feed would have done wonders..maybe it starved to death.. and someone ?, took the op to take the tusks

koff

The mahout forgot to add first that he was paid to leave his elephant chained by the river and told not to come back till morning. There's no way these mahouts would leave their elephants out of sight.

OH come on! Stop picking on the poor guy. Surely he is allowed to sleep sometimes.

Here is the big whining for an elephant, but no one care how pigs for meat are treated or how the killings for halal beef is done....

The topic is the senseless slaughter of what must have been a magnificent animal with a set of tusks worth stealing.

I am sure many members here feel the same way as you about cruel slaughterhouse methods. I wonder whether you, as a "carnivore member", have made any progress against this cruel treatment of meat animals?

Back to topic, as one other mentioned, why was the elephant left unattended at night on its own? It should have been in a secured location if it had any value. Perhaps he can claim on the insurance with the owner.

I think you misunderstood me: What I mean is: For cruel on one elephant or a lovely rabbit everyone gets very upset.

But that are 1000s of animals processed in a very cruel way and with unnecessary pain doesn't make anyone (OK a few) upset. Pigs are actually very smart animals, more than dogs. (And the forum is furious about killing dogs).

My point is, that it is complete out of balance. Just lovely animals have rights?

• Like 1

Here is the big whining for an elephant, but no one care how pigs for meat are treated or how the killings for halal beef is done....

One would have thought that by now people would realise how incredibly facile this argument is!....yet it still keeps turning up, more a reflection on the lack of understanding of the poster than anything else.

To call these people "mahout" is usually a misnomer.....mahouts spend a life-time with an elephant. These people are usually "elephant handlers" who rent the animals off the legal owners for commercial - usually touristic - purposes.

• Like 2

Thieves poison elephant to steal tusks

7-11-2014-3-57-57-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

AYUTTHAYA: -- A 50-year-old male elephant was poisoned to death and its tusks sawn off near Lopburi river in Ayutthaya province Friday morning.

The police said the brutal theft was carried by more than three persons while the owner of the Royal Elephant Kraal said the thieves were not professional judging from the tusks they cut.

The elephant, Klao, was found dead near the river in Ayutthaya. It was chained to a tree beside the river in Moo 6 village of Ban Koh sub-district.

Its mahout said he had chained the elephant there on Thursday as it had been in rut in the past week.

It was killed by poison early Friday morning.

Owner of the Elephant Kraal, Laithongrian Meephan, said the killers might be teenagers or drug addicts nearby the place judging from the tusks they cut off not right at their base.

They did not appear to know that beautiful tusks must include the base to be truly valued. A pair of the tusks valued 4-5 million baht, he said.

Ayutthaya police said they were asking veterinarian to conduct autopsy to find what kind of poison was used to caused death to the elephant son that they could have traces to find out the thieves.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thieves-poison-elephant-steal-tusks/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-11

Pigs and Cattle are killed for meat at least. I have never heard of a pig reaching the age of fifty and possibly being the only male breeder for miles being killed for it's canine teeth only. I think there is a difference.

• Like 1

The topic is the senseless slaughter of what must have been a magnificent animal with a set of tusks worth stealing.

I am sure many members here feel the same way as you about cruel slaughterhouse methods. I wonder whether you, as a "carnivore member", have made any progress against this cruel treatment of meat animals?

Back to topic, as one other mentioned, why was the elephant left unattended at night on its own? It should have been in a secured location if it had any value. Perhaps he can claim on the insurance with the owner.

I think you misunderstood me: What I mean is: For cruel on one elephant or a lovely rabbit everyone gets very upset.

But that are 1000s of animals processed in a very cruel way and with unnecessary pain doesn't make anyone (OK a few) upset. Pigs are actually very smart animals, more than dogs. (And the forum is furious about killing dogs).

My point is, that it is complete out of balance. Just lovely animals have rights?

mmm rabbit stew!

• Like 1