Germany vs Argentina - World Cup Final 2014 - Mon 14th July, 02:00 am, - Match Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

that last kick of the 2014 world cup,OH WHAT A MESSI,there are quite a few so called world class players that need to visit

DR.DAVID BECKAMS clinic for treatment on how to take direct free kicks.

has there been a goal scored from a dead ball kick?

well done Germany,guts,grit and determination.

my dog and i vent and shlept. my vife and her dog vatched ze game. vhen ve got up vife told us "ve vone butt zere vas only vone goal." yewnonimously my dog and i agreed zat vone goal vas enuff to vin.

• Like 1

Feel kind of bad for Messi, he didn't look to happy even when he got the golden boot thing. However, he legitimately had some chances to score and if he only better aim/ball control it would have been a different game.

Well done Germany. UK might stand a chance again one day if we follow your example & field a unified team under a single flag/anthem, consigning our regional under achievers to history, save perhaps for a resurrected 4/5 nations championship.

Edited by evadgib

I know Germany cops a lot of criticism for having less flair than their opponents, but as someone who rarely watches football (or at least this version thereof) I thought they were fantastic. I did feel for Messi - you could feel the pressure he carried on those shoulders - but these guys are all paid ludicrous sums of money to be able kick a ball under pressure. As a longtime field hockey devotee, I was relieved that the Netherlands didn't make the final - for such a small country they are serious over-achievers ;)

http://www.fih.ch/en/fih/events/worldranking

Oz might have a mediocre football team but their hockey teams kick serious butt.

• Like 1

I know Germany cops a lot of criticism for having less flair than their opponents, but as someone who rarely watches football (or at least this version thereof) I thought they were fantastic. I did feel for Messi - you could feel the pressure he carried on those shoulders - but these guys are all paid ludicrous sums of money to be able kick a ball under pressure. As a longtime field hockey devotee, I was relieved that the Netherlands didn't make the final - for such a small country they are serious over-achievers wink.png

http://www.fih.ch/en/fih/events/worldranking

Oz might have a mediocre football team but their hockey teams kick serious butt.

Yes.

Germany quite useful with a hockey stick too, MrWW.

As a keen follower of both sports, there are some great similarities tactically and technique wise.

thumbsup.gif

I always felt that Argentina had to win it in 90 minutes. It was obvious in the closing stages several of their players were running on empty. The days less rest was compounded by the nature of the 2 semi finals.

Despite Germany's dominance in possession Argentina had better chances but didn't put them away. Excellent winning goal by Gotze. Like most of the recent World Cup Finals apart from 2006 the losers failed to score.

While not the greatest German team they were solid and efficient and overall were the best side in the competition. When you can bring on subs of the quality of Schurrle and Gotze it shows the strength of their squad.

• Like 1

I always felt that Argentina had to win it in 90 minutes. It was obvious in the closing stages several of their players were running on empty. The days less rest was compounded by the nature of the 2 semi finals.

Despite Germany's dominance in possession Argentina had better chances but didn't put them away. Excellent winning goal by Gotze. Like most of the recent World Cup Finals apart from 2006 the losers failed to score.

While not the greatest German team they were solid and efficient and overall were the best side in the competition. When you can bring on subs of the quality of Schurrle and Gotze it shows the strength of their squad.

Agree. Mechanical efficiency from the Germans but lacking a certain 'je ne sais quois'.

Neuer went for the ball and got there first - no foul. The "technique" with the knee is practiced by all top goalies (the Argentine goalie - Romero(?) - had a similar situation).

You mean that a goalkeeper can jump and hurt an other guy , no foul, no card, no free kick, no penalty ... he is not a normal player , and he can practise the "technique", as you say ?

In this case, the Argentinian was hurt; now , every goalkeeper knows he can do it, no risk ; happened already in 1982...

• Like 1

Neuer went for the ball and got there first - no foul. The "technique" with the knee is practiced by all top goalies (the Argentine goalie - Romero(?) - had a similar situation).

You mean that a goalkeeper can jump and hurt an other guy , no foul, no card, no free kick, no penalty ... he is not a normal player , and he can practise the "technique", as you say ?

In this case, the Argentinian was hurt; now , every goalkeeper knows he can do it, no risk ; happened already in 1982...

Agree. The knee up thing happens all the time. And goalkeepers mostly get away with it.

If an outfield player were to do the same it would be a foul, and a yellow or red dependent on extent of contact/intent to injure.

In this match ( final !), the ref ( who made two mistakes, this one is the first ) gave a freekick for Germany !!! it's a case where video is needed

a goalkeeper is allowed to kick a ball without paying attention to the guy in front of him ? It's an agression, every other player has a foul for it, why not a goalkeeper ? This action at least needed a freekick: it's a pity that the ref didn't say anything

I was for germany's victory, but I regret always ref mistakes: it can change many things, and it was the world cup final.

If my english is not correct, excuse me, it's not my language.

In this match ( final !), the ref ( who made two mistakes, this one is the first ) gave a freekick for Germany !!! it's a case where video is needed

a goalkeeper is allowed to kick a ball without paying attention to the guy in front of him ? It's an agression, every other player has a foul for it, why not a goalkeeper ? This action at least needed a freekick: it's a pity that the ref didn't say anything

I was for germany's victory, but I regret always ref mistakes: it can change many things, and it was the world cup final.

If my english is not correct, excuse me, it's not my language.

Perfectly understood.

thumbsup.gif

To Aforek...

Goal keepers enjoy special privilege inside the penalty box. They are allowed to use their hands. They also have special "protection" inside the goal box (the rectangle around the goal inside the penalty box) where they cannot be obstructed / blocked by opposing players.

The knee thing looks a bit rough (it's primarily a self-protection measure) but if the intent is clearly to go for the ball (and getting there first!) there is no foul. If the goalie goes for the man then it's clearly a foul (including red / yellow cards and penalty).

To Aforek...

Goal keepers enjoy special privilege inside the penalty box. They are allowed to use their hands. They also have special "protection" inside the goal box (the rectangle around the goal inside the penalty box) where they cannot be obstructed / blocked by opposing players.

The knee thing looks a bit rough (it's primarily a self-protection measure) but if the intent is clearly to go for the ball (and getting there first!) there is no foul. If the goalie goes for the man then it's clearly a foul (including red / yellow cards and penalty).

That is basically what I was about to write as well.

I just looked at the video several times. normal speed and slo mo. I clearly went for the ball, which he accomplished AND got there first. I do not think Neuers leg/knee lifting was an intend to injure Higuain, but more to protect himself. If he didnt lift his leg, his whole upper body would have been exposed without any protection...at the speed and force the collision happened, with an exposed uppbody, Neuer would of most certainly suffered some sort of injury....broken rib(s) perhaps?

Neuer aimed for the ball, got there first and protected himself.

Higuain was trying to get to the ball first, didn't succeed and then collided with Neuer.

Why should a penalty/freekick been awarded? Or even a card given to Neuer?

• Like 1

To Aforek...

That is basically what I was about to write as well.

I just looked at the video several times. normal speed and slo mo. I clearly went for the ball, which he accomplished AND got there first. I do not think Neuers leg/knee lifting was an intend to injure Higuain, but more to protect himself. If he didnt lift his leg, his whole upper body would have been exposed without any protection...at the speed and force the collision happened, with an exposed uppbody, Neuer would of most certainly suffered some sort of injury....broken rib(s) perhaps?

Neuer aimed for the ball, got there first and protected himself.

Higuain was trying to get to the ball first, didn't succeed and then collided with Neuer.

Why should a penalty/freekick been awarded? Or even a card given to Neuer?

As an Argentina fan I agree. I was hoping the blow might set Higuain right, but alas no.

Referees protect goalkeepers pretty much.

Sometimes they protect Messi and Neymar, sometimes they don't.

Goalkeeper can use his hands, outfield players can't.

Goalkeeper can lead with his knee, outfield player can NOT lead with his elbow.

Needs looking at.

German goalkeeper was aggressive in his approach.