Burmese warship patrol seizes Thai fishing boat, lets fisherman flee

Lite Beer

morality of the story:

now its pretty clear -at least for the junta- thailand definitively need a subway!

I guess you mean the RTNavy definitely needs a submarine... LOL

silly, silly meblink.png

thanks mate to point my mistake!

Not easy to comprehend, but I guess the moral of the story is its ok to break the law if you don't get caught?

When I asked my Thai ex why everybody runs red lights in Thailand, she said, "No problem, not illegal if no police." Thai's believe something is not illegal unless you get caught. Not joking.

Slightly off topic, < off topic deflection comments removed >

Regarding the actions of the Burmese pirates - sorry - navy, I think that despite the incursion by the fishing boat, to then tell the crew to jump overboard IS ACTUALLY attempted murder at the very least, and would be construed as piracy if they were in international waters - it certainly strikes me that it is a serious incident that could have resulted in the death of a 20 man crew at the hands of the Burmese - who apparently after hundreds of years STILL can't be trusted.

Edited by metisdead
Off topic deflection comments edited out of post.

Not easy to comprehend, but I guess the moral of the story is its ok to break the law if you don't get caught?

When I asked my Thai ex why everybody runs red lights in Thailand, she said, "No problem, not illegal if no police." Thai's believe something is not illegal unless you get caught. Not joking.

Slightly off topic, <off topic deflection comments removed >

Regarding the actions of the Burmese pirates - sorry - navy, I think that despite the incursion by the fishing boat, to then tell the crew to jump overboard IS ACTUALLY attempted murder at the very least, and would be construed as piracy if they were in international waters - it certainly strikes me that it is a serious incident that could have resulted in the death of a 20 man crew at the hands of the Burmese - who apparently after hundreds of years STILL can't be trusted.

No indication the Burmese Patrol boat ordered Thai fisherman to jump overboard--it only says the Burmese did not prevent them from doing so.

Edited by metisdead

"We're confiscating your boat, but we'll let you jump overboard in the heavy seas that sank your tug boat, and let you swim for it."

Sounds a lot like what pirates in the days of yore used to do (but with more fanfare and walking of planks and such).

(Or did the fishermen all jump overboard before Burmese ship arrived, so they wouldn't be arrested and tossed into a Burmese prison for awhile ? Or did the Burmese "let" them jump overboard as it would be less paperwork than dealing with 20 prisoners ?)

(Normally if there are people in the water (man overboard) all ships in the area try to rescue them. Seems odd that the Burmese would "let" them escape by jumping into rough seas, even if they were fairly close to land.)

At least they weren't kept as slaves at sea as Thai fishing boats apparently do. The Burmese ship probably saw the assisting fishing boat on radar and thought the swimmers would be rescued. Should ask the Rohingyas.

The news report in Myanmar "Navy scores new fishing boat, adrift at sea".

It was only 10 km to shore in a strong swell? What were the navy thinking?

The Thais should all go and buy a lottery ticketthumbsup.gif

And all the Thai Admiral could say was that the fisherman of Thailand should be careful, no condemnation?

Considering the Pulitzer prize winning story about Thai navy selling Myanmar residents into slavery, probably thought same would happen to them if they fell into Burma navy's holds. Hmmm since they jumped overboard to swim to Thai navy ship, guess you could say it was "no holds barred"?

• Like 1

"We're confiscating your boat, but we'll let you jump overboard in the heavy seas that sank your tug boat, and let you swim for it."

Sounds a lot like what pirates in the days of yore used to do (but with more fanfare and walking of planks and such).

(Or did the fishermen all jump overboard before Burmese ship arrived, so they wouldn't be arrested and tossed into a Burmese prison for awhile ? Or did the Burmese "let" them jump overboard as it would be less paperwork than dealing with 20 prisoners ?)

(Normally if there are people in the water (man overboard) all ships in the area try to rescue them. Seems odd that the Burmese would "let" them escape by jumping into rough seas, even if they were fairly close to land.)

10 nautical miles or 14km is a hell of a long way to swim for the vast majority of us. Thais aren't normally considered to be good swimmers, not even if they're fishermen or live by the sea. Having said that I don't think anyone would have found such a swim, in rough waters, to be like a walk in the park. These men were lucky indeed. If they were dropped just 500m from shore it wouldn't have been that bad, but this is negligence bordering almost on attempted murder if you ask me. No civilized country just drops men into the ocean allowing them to drown, even if they've committed a criminal act and especially not for having trespassed territorial waters like in this case. Despite all the negative press, there is no way Australia would ever do that. But then again it's not like Myanmar is a civilized country, as nice as that country is, but it's not like I'm surprised here.

If you allow me, 10 nautical miles are not 14 km but 18,5 km.

"... about 10 nautical miles west of Koh Chang (off the coast of Ranong)."? If my geometry serves, Koh Chang is in The Gulf of Thailand. They must have meant (Koh) Zadetkyi, (Koh) Than, or one of the other islands off of Ranong. Of less importance is that Ranong's latitude is closer to 10 degrees (9.96 at the travel police station) than 9 degrees.

"... about 10 nautical miles west of Koh Chang (off the coast of Ranong)."? If my geometry serves, Koh Chang is in The Gulf of Thailand. They must have meant (Koh) Zadetkyi, (Koh) Than, or one of the other islands off of Ranong. Of less importance is that Ranong's latitude is closer to 10 degrees (9.96 at the travel police station) than 9 degrees.

Agree its of little importance but, "He said the tug-boat and fishing boat breached Myanmar waters, at the coordinates of 9 degrees latitude, 40 clicks north, and 98 degrees longitude, 14 clicks west about 10 nautical miles west of Koh Chang (off the coast of Ranong).

Wheres KareBravo?

9 degrees 40 minutes is 9.67 degrees...or 0.32 degrees from the police station coordinates you provided. This converts to approximately 19 NM (nautical miles) +\- 1 NM.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

10 nautical miles or 14km is a hell of a long way to swim for the vast majority of us. Thais aren't normally considered to be good swimmers, not even if they're fishermen or live by the sea. Having said that I don't think anyone would have found such a swim, in rough waters, to be like a walk in the park. These men were lucky indeed. If they were dropped just 500m from shore it wouldn't have been that bad, but this is negligence bordering almost on attempted murder if you ask me. No civilized country just drops men into the ocean allowing them to drown, even if they've committed a criminal act and especially not for having trespassed territorial waters like in this case. Despite all the negative press, there is no way Australia would ever do that. But then again it's not like Myanmar is a civilized country, as nice as that country is, but it's not like I'm surprised here.

10 Nautical miles = 18,520 meters !!!

Edited by FredNL

I can understand the Burmese Official stance.... We will let you swim away to freedom because in 1.5 years we will all be trying to make 10 countries 1.

We will become 1 economic state with love, prosperity and happiness for all.

Enjoy your swim to freedom.

whistling.gif