'Spiegel' claims Germany's Merkel considers stepping down

webfact

Spiegel claims Merkel considers stepping down

BERLIN: -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel is determined to resign ahead of term without waiting for an election or a change of leadership in the Christian-Democratic Union (CDU), Der Spiegel reports, quoting government and CDU sources.

In an article timed for Merkel’s 60th birthday, Der Spiegel alleges that the chancellor’s party and Cabinet entourage are convinced that she may step down voluntarily so as not to share the fate of former chancellors Konrad Adenauer and Helmut Kohl, who were both highly popular in Germany, yet were forced to quit due to internal party struggle or after suffering an election defeat.

Mass media have repeatedly speculated about Merkel’s early resignation before.

Meanwhile, Merkel has dismissed these speculations, saying she is not planning to step down.

She told the ZDF television she was willing to do her best during her current term in office and then "we'll see", Deutsche Welle reports.

Source: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_07_14/Spiegel-claims-Merkel-considers-stepping-down-5323/

vor.jpg
-- Voice of Russia 2014-07-14

From the original source (Spiegel Online, the article is in German only, I tried my best to translate the headlines, corrections will be highly appreciated smile.png ):

"Possible Resignation: Merkel-Aides expect that she will voluntarily step down

A possible defeat in elections is not supposed to determine her fate: Angela Merkel is determined to be the first Kanzler since 1949 to voluntarily step down one day."

No mentioning of any specific date in the near future or a timeline. But noting that 2016/2017 the posts of the UN Secretary General and the President of the Council of the European Union will become available for suitable candidates. She might send in her Curriculum Vitae then.

Edited by jope

After she has eleminated all competitors in her party it may be a trick to make her party evaluate that there is no alternative to her in order to strengthen her position. I cannot find any other clue if this article is real.

After she has eleminated all competitors in her party it may be a trick to make her party evaluate that there is no alternative to her in order to strengthen her position. I cannot find any other clue if this article is real.

"Spiegel-Online" sees Minister of Defense Ursula von der Leyen as a possible successor (if she survives that position, I would argue).

I agree, it could very well be part of the political game.