Ceiling fan speed control

sometime

If both fans are two-wire (plus earth) then the controllers should be fine.

To be sure check the value of the capacitor in the control unit, if more than say 10% different swap them.

Slightly related. I bought a few Ogawa ceiling fans, yet both of them seem to have lost their 'top speed' very quickly. The original controller was a very ugly square box thing so I chose to use a Clipsal fan controller (as its a pot it goes from nothing to fat out instead of the 123 speed settings). Is this likely to be the cause of the "dead slow" fans. At one point I switched out the controller to the original to see if it made a difference but it didn't. Have I damaged the head unit perhaps? We had two of them one in each room, I swapped out the slower one for the one in the other room and put a wall mount in there instead. But having now put the 'new' one on, it lasted a month or so and started to do the same thing. It works, but nowhere near any speed that is useful. Any thoughts?

Oz

Most likely the fan has a "blown" capacitor. (black sealed units that are "puffed" out) The speed is controlled by switching in different size capacitors. I have seven ceing fans and the high speed is out on all of them. I bought new capacitors and changed them but the one that controls the high speed doesn't last very long. I've actually done away with the pull chain switch on three that I only want to run at high speed and put an inline switch and increased the rating on the capacitor. I tried to do it without removing the pull chain switch and the other capacitors but there wasn't enough room. The others only work on medium and low but are in areas where they are not used much.

Different fan motors will use different size capacitors to achieve their various speeds.

It is possible to use different brands of controllers but the rating of the capacitors needs to be similar or the speeds will be wrong.

I do this often ( I am an electrical contractor )and usually have to try several controllers before finding one that is reasonably matched.

Therefore check each fan controller for compatability.

Seeing as how we are on fans and speed control, I have a question on some 3 speed fans I have with wireless speed controllers (Starlight brand fans), I noticed the other day some 4 speed controllers for sale in Global House same brand as the fans - Question - could these be retro fitted or are the fan motors only set for the 3 speed and would need some modifications?

Edited by Artisi

Seeing as how we are on fans and speed control, I have a question on some 3 speed fans I have with wireless speed controllers (Starlight brand fans), I noticed the other day some 4 speed controllers for sale in Global House same brand as the fans - Question - could these be retro fitted or are the fan motors only set for the 3 speed and would need some modifications?

Receiver/Controller governs the power being supplied to the Fan to control the speed. As Crossy has previously stated in the thread, be sure make sure the Receiver/Controller is rated to handle the power draw of that model Fan.

Some Ceiling Fans may also have on-board (chain-pulled) speed settings or reverser switches. When used with a remote controlled 'Receiver/Controller' the Fan itself is set to HIGH and the reverser is operated manually when needed.

The Receiver/Controller wires should be labeled like so:

(Note: these devices do not have a Ground Wire, so remember to tie all other GROUND Wires together)

CeilingFanRemoteControl.jpg

Receiver/Controller governs the power being supplied to the Fan to control the speed. As Crossy has previously stated in the thread, be sure make sure the Receiver/Controller is rated to handle the power draw of that model Fan.

Some Ceiling Fans may also have on-board (chain-pulled) speed settings or reverser switches. When used with a remote controlled 'Receiver/Controller' the Fan itself is set to HIGH and the reverser is operated manually when needed.

The Receiver/Controller wires should be labeled like so:

(Note: these devices do not have a Ground Wire, so remember to tie all other GROUND Wires together)

CeilingFanRemoteControl.jpg

Thanks for the reply, like you I was of the opinion - just replace the 3 speed controller with the 4 speed receiver / controller, 1 being the high speed and 4 the low. Unfortunately this doesn't work, speed 1,2 4 will change speed whereas 3 doesn't -- the fan stops.

The first post was kept basic so as not to confuse the issue however I can now add some more detail to either clarify or confuse.

1. This is the second fan the 4 speed receiver / controller has been tried on - same on both - no 3rd speed, this is also the second receiver / controller - the first was returned as faulty as it didn't operate on the 3rd speed and I assumed it was faulty.

2. One motor unit (I have 4 fans total) and its receiver / controller was sent back to the supplier as I wasn't working, it was returned under warranty with a new motor and a new 4 speed controller - this one works fine on 4 speeds - same control / receiver I have recently purchased.

Any suggestions ---- guess I can always call the supplier but an loath to do so initially because of the language barrier / understanding, I can give the wife a 30 minutes lesson in electrics / speed control / and the in's and out's - unfortunately this also can result in trouble as they can tell her anything they like and she can only accept what they say at face value.

PS. Added - the 4 speed unit is the same as the one you have shown - near enough.

Thanks

Edited by Artisi

Just hold on the previous post.

It seems that the fan unit might have a problem as is doesn't seem to be running at its higher speed with it's 3 speed controller / receiver, so it is possible there is nothing wrong with the 4 speed control / receiver. I'm going to return the fan motor unit to the store where I brought it - for return to the agent to see what the story is - will post more when the it comes back and I am sure the fan has a clean bill of health.

Thanks

[...]

1. This is the second fan the 4 speed receiver / controller has been tried on - same on both - no 3rd speed, this is also the second receiver / controller - the first was returned as faulty as it didn't operate on the 3rd speed and I assumed it was faulty.

2. One motor unit (I have 4 fans total) and its receiver / controller was sent back to the supplier as I wasn't working, it was returned under warranty with a new motor and a new 4 speed controller - this one works fine on 4 speeds - same control / receiver I have recently purchased.

Any suggestions ---- guess I can always call the supplier but an loath to do so initially because of the language barrier / understanding, I can give the wife a 30 minutes lesson in electrics / speed control / and the in's and out's - unfortunately this also can result in trouble as they can tell her anything they like and she can only accept what they say at face value.

PS. Added - the 4 speed unit is the same as the one you have shown - near enough.

Thanks

Can you confirm that both 4 speed control / receivers you have (the one you purchased, and the one you received under replacement warranty) work with the new motor unit? Just want to verify that the purchase unit does work.

[...]

Thanks

Can you confirm that both 4 speed control / receivers you have (the one you purchased, and the one you received under replacement warranty) work with the new motor unit? Just want to verify that the purchase unit does work.

Curiouser and curiouser!” Cried Alice :

Well the purchased one doesn't work on speed 3 but neither did the one I returned as "faulty" , so I connected my multi meter to the output side on the receiver and see power when switching between speed, position 1, 2, 4 read 220v but position 3 only reads 200v.

It's no big deal other than trying to understand what is going on, I will either throw the unit into the drawer or see if I can get my money back.

• 1 month later...