Nepal's ex-crown prince arrested in Thailand with marijuana

Lite Beer

He is one of the survivors of the deadly royal massacre in 2001 when the entire family of the then King Birendra was killed at Narayanhity royal palace in Kathmandu.

How can he be one of the 'survivors' if the entire family was killed??

Edited by Rooo
Font
  • Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would cut the guy some slack with the marijuana possession. Marijuana legitimately does have medicinal purposes for pain relief, which has been recognized by several U.S. States and European countries, and he did just have a heart attack in 2013. Frankly I think alcohol creates more societal problems than marijuana use.

The guy is clearly an idiot, but 12 grams doesn't justify the cost of incarcerating him. Just deport him.

Exactly. Thailand has the silliest pot laws. Why such a big deal? It is only ganga. Why the need to embarrass this guy over nothing? Real crimes are being committed. People are being murdered, raped, and tourists are getting fleeced by jet ski scammers. And they go after this guy?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"The Thai police also informed the Nepal embassy that he was presented at a local criminal court after being charged but declined to divulge details where he was kept."

His location can't be revealed for being charged for possession of 12g of marijuana? I didn't see any charges for distribution, so what's the secrecy? And isn't he entitled to seek advice of his embassy and isn't the embassy entitled to know where he is being held? In fact he was already brought to criminal court before the police even notified the embassy of his arrest. Something else is going on with the judicial process taht leaves a lot of suspicion as to what game plan is really in motion.

It also just inept Thai attempts at journalism.

Even worse.

The gibberish-laden OP is Indian journalism.

Edited by Minaj82

Isn't he protected by the Thai Lese Majeste laws?

The lese majeste law of Thailand exists to protect the dignity of the Thai royal family.

This man has no dignity.

It protects all royalty from all countries if you read the small print.

It's not applicable to expunged royalty in countries no longer having royalty if you read the large print.

Isn't he protected by the Thai Lese Majeste laws?

The lese majeste law of Thailand exists to protect the dignity of the Thai royal family.

This man has no dignity.

It protects all royalty from all countries if you read the small print.
It's not applicable to expunged royalty in countries no longer having royalty if you read the large print.

Not sure about the deposed bit. That's why I asked the question. When does royalty cease to be royalty?

I would cut the guy some slack with the marijuana possession. Marijuana legitimately does have medicinal purposes for pain relief, which has been recognized by several U.S. States and European countries, and he did just have a heart attack in 2013. Frankly I think alcohol creates more societal problems than marijuana use.

So a driver who killed your little daughter should be given less punishment if he was intoxicated by ganja than by alcohol?

• Like 1

Nepal ex-prince arrested for drugs in Thailand

BANGKOK, July 16, 2014 (AFP) - Former Nepalese crown prince Paras Shah has been arrested on drugs charges in Thailand for a second time and could face up to five years in prison, police said Wednesday.

Shah was detained with about 13 grams (0.5 ounces) of marijuana at a hotel in Bangkok, according to an officer at Thonglor police station who did not want to be named.

"He borrowed a flash drive from hotel security and when the security guard entered his room to get his flash drive back he saw marijuana on the counter so he told police," the officer told AFP.

He said Shah, who is visiting Thailand on a tourist visa, had admitted illegal drug possession and was remanded in custody.

It is not the first time the former royal has been in trouble with the law in Thailand.

Shah, who as crown prince was unpopular for his playboy lifestyle, was arrested for possession of about three grams of marijuana on the island of Phuket in October 2012.

He was detained again later the same year for smashing property at a luxury apartment in Bangkok.

In February 2013 Shah was admitted to intensive care in Thailand after suffering a heart attack.

Shah became heir to the throne in 2001 after his cousin Crown Prince Dipendra killed nine members of his family including the king and queen in a drink-and-drugs-fuelled rampage, before apparently turning his gun on himself.

Nepal abolished its monarchy in 2008.

The Nepalese embassy in Bangkok said it had been notified of Shah's latest arrest.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-07-16

The people of Nepal actually believe this is the guy that had his entire family wiped out so he could assume the throne, Dipendra was only the scapegoat and was equally murdered..

That is what many have told me in Kathmandu.

Officially there is no longer a monarchy.... but unofficially there is still one.

They still inhabit the royal palace in the city centre.

He is one of the survivors of the deadly royal massacre in 2001 when the entire family of the then King Birendra was killed at Narayanhity royal palace in Kathmandu.

How can he be one of the 'survivors' if the entire family was killed??

555, i was going to post this question yesterday.

-*I typed this myself*-

In many countries it's legal, why make such a big deal out of it.

May be the policemen who caught him are going to be on tv with a pointing finger. Selfie, selfie.

Many countries, or many US states?