very tasty cooked ham.

meatboy

normally the mrs.goes shopping on her own but yesterday I went along,its always the food section that interests me.

seeing new adverts on the telle. on BUTCHER products I spoted them,bacon,sausages and ham,getting fed up with no taste,dry cooked ham at home fresh I picked up a packet of BUTCHER PREMIUM PORK HAM 105grms[4slices] x 105bht.

its the best I have had here in Thailand,so next its the sausages.the bacon was a bit expensive but if its as nice as the ham what the hell buger the cost,i will get the wife to cut down on her buying comics.

• Like 1

I think you mean "Bucher".

When the brand first appeared a few weeks ago I was impressed by the ham - not good, but relatively dry compared with most brands. However, the last couple of packs have both been unpleasantly slimy. Not sure if this is a temporary glitch, or they've dropped their quality standards.

I think you mean "Bucher".

When the brand first appeared a few weeks ago I was impressed by the ham - not good, but relatively dry compared with most brands. However, the last couple of packs have both been unpleasantly slimy. Not sure if this is a temporary glitch, or they've dropped their quality standards.

yes ayg.I found there was some say jus,but I just wiped the ham with a kitchen towel[paper] I think this is down to either

salt in the ham coming out,transportation or as the norm.with supermarkets the fridges are turned down to min.temp.

It's caused by the manufacturer injecting polyphosphate into the meat to make it absorb more water, then soaking the meat in brine so that it swells. In other words, the manufacturer is selling us water, rather than meat, so maximising its profit at the expense of taste. Home made ham is never like this. Over time the gunk leaks out. Such a pity one can't buy good quality ham in Thailand. If I had a larger fridge I'd make my own.

BTW where's your avatar gone? I miss it.
  • Like 1

It's caused by the manufacturer injecting polyphosphate into the meat to make it absorb more water, then soaking the meat in brine so that it swells. In other words, the manufacturer is selling us water, rather than meat, so maximising its profit at the expense of taste. Home made ham is never like this. Over time the gunk leaks out. Such a pity one can't buy good quality ham in Thailand. If I had a larger fridge I'd make my own.

BTW where's your avatar gone? I miss it.

I will have to have a word with my neighbor who has got some clout with cp.

as for my avatar we tried to change it as my boy was fadeing but we cant up load a new one,and my mate that will do it for me is stuck in the in that thyphoon down in the philipenes.

I make my own ham. It takes about a week and I make 3 to 5 kg at a time and freeze what I don't use until I need it.

attachicon.gifBills cooked ham no molasses v03.doc

Yepp, that's the way to go.

I make my cooked ham in a similar way and also inject cure (about 15-20% of the pork's weight)

Additionally, I brought back a 2nd hand "ham press" from my last visit in Germany.

Was about 30€ at Ebay

The advantage of these presses is, you can make one ham from two or more pieces of pork

The red marked drill-hole is for the meat thermometer.

Recommended core temperature 65-68° Celsius

attachicon.gifschinkenpresse.JPG    attachicon.gifschinkenpresse1.JPG

If all goes well, it should look like this one..

attachicon.gifschinken3.JPG

can I place my order please,or are you telling us pork-ies.

tried the bucher sausages yesterday,no comment.

had another pack of ham yesterday,this one tasted better than the first,2 buttered bread rolls,2 slices of ham in each and stuffed with as many chips I could get on top.ooooooooooooooooooooooh the butter was running down my chin.

• Like 1

The reason, I started making ham and sausages, etc. was because the quality of the local available stuff

was abysmal compared to my favourite German meat products.

The thing is, you buy three times the same ham or sausage, but it tastes always different.

Some times sour and/or slimy, or they put some "wrong" spices in it or whatever.

But it's not only the taste, I've bought  "smelly" ham two times in a "friendly Supermarket" in Pattaya, never again.

Same goes for German "Mettwurst", "Bratwurst" or liver sausage/pate which is mostly fat without any taste.

I am not really sure, what some of our "famous Butchers" have worked in their former life...wink.png

Edited by roban
  • Like 1

The reason, I started making ham and sausages, etc. was because the quality of the local available stuff

was abysmal compared to my favourite German meat products.

The thing is, you buy three times the same ham or sausage, but it tastes always different.

Some times sour and/or slimy, or they put some "wrong" spices in it or whatever.

But it's not only the taste, I've bought  "smelly" ham two times in a "friendly Supermarket" in Pattaya, never again.

Same goes for German "Mettwurst", "Bratwurst" or liver sausage/pate which is mostly fat without any taste.

I am not really sure, what some of our "famous Butchers" have worked in their former life...wink.png

I used to buy the cooked ham in homefresh sometimes ok.but other times no taste,dry and also cut with the protective plastic cover still on,and if your not carefull you can choke on it.as for sausages I used to have Bangkok meats small garlic and the assorted packets of spicey ones till I asked them are they uncooked or cooked as usual no response,i dont like  food that's cooked twice.i am not worried it the packet contains some say brine what concerns me more is the practice that stores do by turning the fridges and freezers down to zero overnight.to test this go and buy an icecream[cornetto] in the morning.

I liked the german meat products back in the uk.bought from LIDL AND ALDI.

Where did you get the nitrite from?

I got mine from a mate in Nakhon Sawan who in turn got it from the Royal Group in Phuket and their web site is here.

http://www.royalgroupphuket.com/?cid=1838166&subid=200255

Thanks very much, found their shop in Soi Bunsophan, khao Noi Pattaya, 101 THB/kg

To be correct, Soi Wat Bunsampan, also known as Soi Khao Noi - right next door to Star bar (and directly opposite PJ bar), for those who need more specific directions. Their website is not always up to date (not a criticism, as they told me they are constantly turning over stock and sourcing new stuff).
  • Like 1

I thought they had a shop in Pattaya but as I have never been there and the website was Phuket that they had moved.

I don't suppose you have their GPS location do you?

Not accurately, but must be near 12.918456, 100.914623, but have a picture from Google street maps!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

not so very tasty yesterday,it was more like nasty,nasty.mrs.bought a packet fri.8th and I opened it yesterday,well what came out of the packet went in the bin,all 4slices were stuck together with what I can only describe as glue,slimey looking substance that wouldn't come off with kitchen towels.bah.gif  

I bought a pack of that Kucher ham somebody recently recommended at Tesco on Wednesday.  Opened it Friday and it kind of "smiled" it way out of the pack directly into the trash can!  Yuk!!

I bought a pack of that Kucher ham somebody recently recommended at Tesco on Wednesday.  Opened it Friday and it kind of "smiled" it way out of the pack directly into the trash can!  Yuk!!

I couldn't bring myself to give it to the little shit of a dog next door,i am not that cruel.

you have credit of a half can of cider.

Thanks very much, found their shop in Soi Bunsophan, khao Noi Pattaya, 101 THB/kg

Let us know the results Burl,

Thanks

Bought 1 kg Green pork Loin at Tesco used a simple sugar, salt, nitrite cure, left it in 4 days. cooked it at 180Deg C in oven in tin foil, excellent dry ham, but still uncured in the centre.

Them bought 50 ml syringe in Pharmacy and injected brine into the centre of the next one, problem solved, but used pork hip meat from Makro, not so good taste and texture.

Just cured the Green Pork loin again from Tesco and injected it over 4 days. Same roasting to an internal temp of 71 deg c and lo and behold perfect again!

Let us know the results Burl,

Thanks

Bought 1 kg Green pork Loin at Tesco used a simple sugar, salt, nitrite cure, left it in 4 days. cooked it at 180Deg C in oven in tin foil, excellent dry ham, but still uncured in the centre.

Them bought 50 ml syringe in Pharmacy and injected brine into the centre of the next one, problem solved, but used pork hip meat from Makro, not so good taste and texture.

Just cured the Green Pork loin again from Tesco and injected it over 4 days. Same roasting to an internal temp of 71 deg c and lo and behold perfect again!

Perhaps these may be of help to you.

The lady at the market where my wife gets pork from usually carries the cheaper cuts of pork so I printed out pork cuts 03 and marked the cuts that I wanted ( a complete hind leg minus the trotters). She showed it to the lady who ordered from her suppliers and I got what I wanted in about 3 days.

[attachment=278733:pig drawing 01.gif]

[attachment=278734:pork cuts 02.jpg]

[attachment=278735:pork cuts 03.jpeg]