Chiang Mai Zoo -- Monkey Prison

Trujillo

There are some things I like about the zoo, others I think are in need of attention, and then there's this:

post-165256-0-92950600-1405504529_thumb.

This is one of several monkey enclosures near the front gate, and while the zoo apparently has the money to finance a new, large petting zoo section, which is under construction, can build a giant, soulless new penguin house (very sad looking residents, indeed), this is the best they can do for the various monkeys?

No shade, no trees. The ground is filthy dirt and the water (like so many other exhibits with water features) in front is fetid, brackish and disgusting, with scum, discarded food and other, unidentified material in it. (Actually, the photo does not adequately convey the destitution of the area.)

To see one of the most intelligent animals at the zoo in conditions like these brings a tear to even this old wooden eye.

Shameful!

• Like 2

This thread is similar to those who write condemning a meal at a restaurant.

You expect thai visa readers to sort this out for you?

and the advice I often read is to point out your grievance to the owners,managers.

You are basically firing bullets and running to ground.

I have no opinion whatsoever,about what state animal care should be at, I can't stand animals but grow some balls and tell the zoo.....not us, we can't solve your problem

• Like 1

2014 all ZOO'S should be banned, so so sad for all the animals involved....

Vote with your feet and don't go to these kind of places.....

vote with your feet in Thailand and you will end up in the monkey house

I like zoos

• Like 2

and that Tiger Kingdom thing is pretty useless, also. I can proudly say I've never been there. Maybe if people would quit paying to have their photos taken with the no electric Hilltribes People, they would actually start using electricity and quit bugging people trying to have a beer. Of course, they managed to have a nice concrete road built to the doorways of their shacks......and the there's the Longnecks.......

• Like 2

2014 all ZOO'S should be banned, so so sad for all the animals involved....

Vote with your feet and don't go to these kind of places.....

vote with your feet in Thailand and you will end up in the monkey house

I like zoos

Nice one !!!

and that Tiger Kingdom thing is pretty useless, also. I can proudly say I've never been there. Maybe if people would quit paying to have their photos taken with the no electric Hilltribes People, they would actually start using electricity and quit bugging people trying to have a beer. Of course, they managed to have a nice concrete road built to the doorways of their shacks......and the there's the Longnecks.......

swore I would never go in a cage with a tiger. Guess the sex of visitors for whom the first Thailand visit would be incomplete without? Now I have been inside twice. Kitten so cute and popular!

But they get big fast, must keep breeding. Big tiger live long time requiring much care, most not sociable enough for petting. Too many big Tiger? Probably export to China, in one form or another.

Horrible to contemplate.

Grow up children, Jeez!

CM Zoo was once a model zoo; the best zoo I ever visited in Asia. Over the years it has became more and more commercial (and expensive) and the animals have become less of a priority. Zoos do an important job, they preserve species that would die out in the wild (or have), and the raise awareness of animals and their plight.

Trujillo is right to bring this situation to our attention. I had no idea it was so bad there. I haven't been in five years. Surely they make a ton of money and something can be done. I willing to help join the effort if there is something we can all do to improve the situation.

Trujillo is right to bring this situation to our attention. I had no idea it was so bad there. I haven't been in five years. Surely they make a ton of money and something can be done. I willing to help join the effort if there is something we can all do to improve the situation.

After being a visitor to Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney over many years,acknowledged as one of the worlds best it is indeed depressing to go to the CM Zoo and the Night Safari "Zoo"

I'm not convinced that animal species preservation it high on the agenda at either although they will of course deny that. We have no intention of going back but guess it might be high on the list for

visitors from China and they will keep the turnstiles ticking over.

This thread is similar to those who write condemning a meal at a restaurant.

You expect thai visa readers to sort this out for you?

and the advice I often read is to point out your grievance to the owners,managers.

You are basically firing bullets and running to ground.

I have no opinion whatsoever,about what state animal care should be at, I can't stand animals but grow some balls and tell the zoo.....not us, we can't solve your problem

You make me cheesy.gif

You seemed to have missed the point of TV or any forum for that matter. I guess its back to the drawing board for you then whistling.gif

I don't particularly like or support zoos for various reasons but one that's poorly managed is just sad. The neglect is plain to see in the photo.

Lots of zoos have to use volunteers to keep running day to day. I don't suppose there is an animal welfare rights office in CM?

Edited by intel4004

After being a visitor to Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney over many years,acknowledged as one of the worlds best it is indeed depressing to go to the CM Zoo and the Night Safari "Zoo"

I'm not convinced that animal species preservation it high on the agenda at either although they will of course deny that. We have no intention of going back but guess it might be high on the list for

I know I just said I'm not keen on zoos BUT I was planning on visiting the night safari soon. Now you've burst my bubble. Is it that bad?

Are you suggesting take their means of earning a living away from them. Let them starve or come into town and beg? Their are a lot of people in the world who have to see the condition these people live in to believe it. Now you are suggesting take their means of making a living away from them. Deprive tourists of the sight of a hill tribe village. Whether you like it or not when the tourists leave at the end of the day they do not go to big fancy houses or condos they live in those buildings.

What is it to you if others want to see them?sad.png

Well, the Long Neck thing doesn't border on human trafficking; it is. As far as seeing the hilltribe shacks......it's a lot like orphanage tourism. When you visit San Francisco or LA; do you locate poor people, and take a lot of photos? Why make a novelty out of it? They could have electricity if they wanted it, they could also have normal height ceilings...but that would spoil the show. Any place the vans stop is suspect for rip-off. Perhaps they could sell their little frog noisemakers at Walking Street, but instead they insist on being a nuisance. Just like the table cloth salesmen at the beach or the women walking around giving people toenail infections......http://www.irinnews.org/report/95566/thailand-children-trafficked-to-sell-flowers-and-beg

• Like 1

If you think that's bad you wanna go to zoo or safari park in China. Vendors sell live chickens and rabbits at the entrance so you can hoi them at the lions and watch them get ripped apart. The locals seemed to love it, but the smoking chimps stole the show.

I know I just said I'm not keen on zoos BUT I was planning on visiting the night safari soon. Now you've burst my bubble. Is it that bad?

Actually the Night Safari is quite good - real enclosures etc, though they still do the posing with tiger cubs and stuff that is endemic in Asia.

Actually the Night Safari is quite good - real enclosures etc, though they still do the posing with tiger cubs and stuff that is endemic in Asia.

That's one thing in CM I have never done, the night safari. Have to put that on the list but I get tired of seeing Animals exploited so I tend to try and not support. I know when I have done my 90 day visa runs I take candy for children at the border but don't give money. It's all kinda sad but all children like candy and I refuse to help those that exploit these poor kids...so candy is a good choice and I grab a few bags at the check out of Tops.

I have been to the Tiger Kingdom and taken some photos but I would never go into a cage after watching that dude in Alaska get all friendly with wild grizzlies that got him and his GF eaten. One time I was there and this couple was in the cage and the handlers were going ape chit and I was like oh here we go. So there are Tigers in there with a head the size of a Thai torso and these Thai guys were going crazy due to red ants. Like being bitten by a red ant is so bad when there we 2-3 tigers in the open. I just had to shake my head.

I can think of one poster I would like to see in with the Tiger!

Sent from my iPad

For those who want to take a few minutes to register their concern about the monkey exhibit:

E-mail - <removed>

Write:

Chiang Mai Zoo

100 Huaykaew Rd.

T.Suthep A.Muang

Chiang Mai

It may help to point out that the zoo is under the patronage of his majesty, who as a fervent naturalist would himself be very disappointed to witness the poor condition of some exhibits.

Edited by onthedarkside
eemail removed as per forum rules

That's one thing in CM I have never done, the night safari. Have to put that on the list but I get tired of seeing Animals exploited so I tend to try and not support. I know when I have done my 90 day visa runs I take candy for children at the border but don't give money. It's all kinda sad but all children like candy and I refuse to help those that exploit these poor kids...so candy is a good choice and I grab a few bags at the check out of Tops.

I have been to the Tiger Kingdom and taken some photos but I would never go into a cage after watching that dude in Alaska get all friendly with wild grizzlies that got him and his GF eaten. One time I was there and this couple was in the cage and the handlers were going ape chit and I was like oh here we go. So there are Tigers in there with a head the size of a Thai torso and these Thai guys were going crazy due to red ants. Like being bitten by a red ant is so bad when there we 2-3 tigers in the open. I just had to shake my head.

I can think of one poster I would like to see in with the Tiger!

Sent from my iPad

Having a mouthful of gum, doesn't really help a child's case, when he has done wrong (in this case, not brought in enough money).

I have visited the Chiang Mai zoo twice in over 30 years and on both occasions was appalled by the conditions the animals were kept in. It appears according to the OP`s report that little has changed.

After my second trip 15 years ago I vowed never to visit that zoo again. Also I have never and would never visit the night safari, or the tiger kingdoms located in temples where stupid dumb tourists pose with obviously sedated tigers, the elephant farms and other such institutions of suffering and cruelty for profits.

The solutions are very easy, if visitors avoid these places then these businesses will either try to clean up their acts to give the public what they expect to see and want for the welfare of the animals or go out of business, because that`s what they are businesses, where profits are number one and the care of the animals are low on their list of priorities.

As our loaded quite rightly advises, vote with your feet, it`s up to you.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

I agree that Zoos suck and are not there to "save" animals but to make a profit from them. Same as the dolphin parks, tiger shows and all the other crap.

Animals are not here for us Humans to stare at and exploit, they are there for us to eat as god intended otherwise he would not have made them taste so good.