Will you lose your condo or car?

Bulldozer Dawn

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will they be cracking down on houses bought illegally with bogus thai companies. That's when the real pain will start.

I don't know about other parts of the country but that crackdown has been underway here for several years, at least two friends, both long term residents, have been visited by LO officials where the matter has been discussed quite amicably. The end result was that both were given six months to transfer ownership into some form of legal mechanism and both quite happily obliged.

What is the usual "legal mechanism". Do they wind up the company and transfer ownership to their thai wife? If you don't have a wife who becomes the legal owner?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Your vitriol reminds me on "FatDrunkandStupid" I think you are him.

You've got $$$$ dripping out of your ass and a GF with a Master's Degree but no common sense to get a Non-Imm Visa.

Maybe you should add Special Needs to your resume.

That thought about FatDrunkandStupid passed my thoughts also, as Bulldozer Dawn posted some stuff about me in a now deleted post (thanks Mods) that not that many people know.

If that's true, it's kinda of sad because FatDrunkandStupid is quite a smart bloke as far as intellectual quotient is concerned (we used to discuss the Thai Stock Market through a PM).

Agreed FDAS seemed to have a high IQ but sometimes you'd wonder if he could tie his own shoelaces.

Could tell you the precise cubic capacity of a jam jar, but couldn't get the lid of it.......................tongue.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Your vitriol reminds me on "FatDrunkandStupid" I think you are him.

You've got $$$$ dripping out of your ass and a GF with a Master's Degree but no common sense to get a Non-Imm Visa.

Maybe you should add Special Needs to your resume.

That thought about FatDrunkandStupid passed my thoughts also, as Bulldozer Dawn posted some stuff about me in a now deleted post (thanks Mods) that not that many people know.

If that's true, it's kinda of sad because FatDrunkandStupid is quite a smart bloke as far as intellectual quotient is concerned (we used to discuss the Thai Stock Market through a PM).

Agreed FDAS seemed to have a high IQ but sometimes you'd wonder if he could tie his own shoelaces.

Could tell you the precise cubic capacity of a jam jar, but couldn't get the lid of it.......................tongue.png

But could he give you the precise cubic capacity of a jam jar with a golliwog logo. biggrin.png

Will they be cracking down on houses bought illegally with bogus thai companies. That's when the real pain will start.

I don't know about other parts of the country but that crackdown has been underway here for several years, at least two friends, both long term residents, have been visited by LO officials where the matter has been discussed quite amicably. The end result was that both were given six months to transfer ownership into some form of legal mechanism and both quite happily obliged.

What is the usual "legal mechanism". Do they wind up the company and transfer ownership to their thai wife? If you don't have a wife who becomes the legal owner?

In the case of one of our UK friends who is married to another Brit, my wife became the owner and she granted our friends a 30 year lease along with control of the property using an usufruct. But the way forward will be different for everyone based on their circumstances and their levels of trust, fortunately my wife has no interest in benefiting from the ownership of the property so it's a very safe deal.

What about people who don't fall into any visa category?

You mean people that have no reason to be here except that they want to ?

They are called tourists. Get a tourist and abide by the long standing existing law.

But people are reporting that you can't stay in Thailand perpetually on tourist visas anymore.

So what visa exactly are they supposed to get instead?

What about people who don't fall into any visa category?

You mean people that have no reason to be here except that they want to ?

They are called tourists. Get a tourist and abide by the long standing existing law.

But people are reporting that you can't stay in Thailand perpetually on tourist visas anymore.

So what visa exactly are they supposed to get instead?

I think that is the whole point. They are saying that you " CANNOT " be a perpetual tourist.

I think that is the whole point. They are saying that you " CANNOT " be a perpetual tourist.

It seems arbitrary to say that retirement visas should be limited to the elderly. Why shouldn't a successful younger person be welcomed to live and enjoy Thailand?

It seems arbitrary to say that retirement visas should be limited to the elderly. Why shouldn't a successful younger person be welcomed to live and enjoy Thailand?

In case you have not worked it out yet.

There is laid down procedures and criteria for obtaining Visa's. If YOU are not happy with the procedures and criteria, take it up with the relevant Thai Authority.

If you wish to be " Welcomed to live and enjoy Thailand " and the various Visa's that are on offer do not fit your circumstances. Go and get an " Elite " card.

After all 500,000 Baht for 5 years for a " Successful younger person " is peanuts.

Tourists are not meant to " Live " in Thailand in Perpetuity. they are meant to have a holiday and then return to their home Country.

It is really not that difficult.

• Like 1

Retirement visa's are already available at age 50, even that is quite young for retirement. But if you mean that you want to see the program opened up to even younger people who have enough money, there are a number of other routes for that including the BOI scheme.

The fearmongering in this thread is becoming worrisome.

May I share my experience with Thai immigration? So I try to enter the Kingdom on my THAI passport. The immigration officer at swampy asks if I also have a U.S. passport, which I also have. The immigration officer says that a person cannot have dual citizenship and if you are a citizen of another country you must renounce Thai citizenship. I (while still trying to remain polite, cuz this is Thailand) respectfully tell her that she is incorrect and there is no law which prohibits dual citizenship. She gets supervisor. Supervisor says no dual citizenship, must relinquish Thai passport. So I say that this is not the law. Response from supervisor is that they just changed the law recently. I ask if the supervisor can cite to the Thai law. Response is no they cannot. It's just the law.

Now there has been enough posting on Thaivisa, and I have conducted enough research on this point...What I am trying to get to, and what has not really been addressed in this thread is this MAYBE THAI IMMIGRATION ARE JUST WRONG AND THE PARTICULAR OFFICIALS ARE BEING A PAIN BECAUSE THEY ARE ON A POWER TRIP.

What we have is this: one experience from one poster with one set of immigration officials. We have a poster that just joined TV within the past 24 hours. There has been no official news release by Thai immigration on anything. We do know that Thai government officials seem to have ego and power "issues".

So maybe Thai immigration is making changes...or maybe it's just one official who didn't like the OP..maybe it happened...maybe it didn't. I don't know. But before people start trying to sell their cars, and their condos, or make plans to riot...let's just take a moment to relax and breathe and see what happens.

All I know is that if immigration starts enforcing rules not previously enforced, the way they work is usually to issue a little press release or something about it. Why? because the people they are trying to please are not the foreigners, but the Thais and they would love nothing more than to put out a story to the the press and the Thai populace that Thai immigration is taking a stand against these evil nasty foreigners trying to invade the country. If i don't see that I don't think anything has really changed.

• Like 1

The fearmongering in this thread is becoming worrisome.

May I share my experience with Thai immigration? So I try to enter the Kingdom on my THAI passport. The immigration officer at swampy asks if I also have a U.S. passport, which I also have. The immigration officer says that a person cannot have dual citizenship and if you are a citizen of another country you must renounce Thai citizenship. I (while still trying to remain polite, cuz this is Thailand) respectfully tell her that she is incorrect and there is no law which prohibits dual citizenship. She gets supervisor. Supervisor says no dual citizenship, must relinquish Thai passport. So I say that this is not the law. Response from supervisor is that they just changed the law recently. I ask if the supervisor can cite to the Thai law. Response is no they cannot. It's just the law.

Now there has been enough posting on Thaivisa, and I have conducted enough research on this point...What I am trying to get to, and what has not really been addressed in this thread is this MAYBE THAI IMMIGRATION ARE JUST WRONG AND THE PARTICULAR OFFICIALS ARE BEING A PAIN BECAUSE THEY ARE ON A POWER TRIP.

What we have is this: one experience from one poster with one set of immigration officials. We have a poster that just joined TV within the past 24 hours. There has been no official news release by Thai immigration on anything. We do know that Thai government officials seem to have ego and power "issues".

So maybe Thai immigration is making changes...or maybe it's just one official who didn't like the OP..maybe it happened...maybe it didn't. I don't know. But before people start trying to sell their cars, and their condos, or make plans to riot...let's just take a moment to relax and breathe and see what happens.

All I know is that if immigration starts enforcing rules not previously enforced, the way they work is usually to issue a little press release or something about it. Why? because the people they are trying to please are not the foreigners, but the Thais and they would love nothing more than to put out a story to the the press and the Thai populace that Thai immigration is taking a stand against these evil nasty foreigners trying to invade the country. If i don't see that I don't think anything has really changed.

I'm curious how did you get out of this? Did you loose your Thai passport?

I went to the trouble to get a non-o went I got my DL and when I bought truck and Motorbike. Now, I'm back to 30 day tourist visas. We'll see.

Yes, I also went the Non-O Visa to get my Licence and bought a car as I was refused the Licence on a Tourist Visa.

Will be getting a Non-O again when I head back.

Ha, I'm pretty sure that if you told them you only got the NON O for the purpose of the purchase and then intended to go back to a tourist visa, you would have had a problem.

Right there, that is an example of you abusing the system by deceiving the government.

Residents who work here or spouses have the PRIVILEGE of owning a vehicle. Tourists DO NOT.

I'm curious how did you get out of this? Did you loose your Thai passport?

They actually wanted me to surrender it at the airport. I said no. They weren't willing to forcibly take it from my hand but told me I should surrender it and not use it anymore, which I thoroughly ignored.

• Like 1

Thailand like any other country reserves the right to allow or disallow entry to whom it wishes.

Your 30 day stamp is not a Tourist Visa it is just permission to stay for 30 days.

It costs 25k per year for a one year non-imm visa. Pay up or shut up.

New harsh laws are proposed for overstayers by end of July:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand

Edited by ATF

Making a choice of what is legally available and convenient is NOT "playing the system" and certainly isnt lying.

and as the term "tourist" generally means visiting for pleasure, isnt that what he's doing ?

If he then switches to an appropriate O visa, he is in fact acting responsibly and doing the right thing at the appropriate time by changing from a tourist visa to the O for a longer stay which a tourist visa would not be correct. Therefore he is 100% correct legitimate and legal.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

How can you buy a car on a tourist visa?

I have not done so, but after some inquiries, several car dealers told me I could buy a car on a tourist visa, as long as I put down 30 to 50 percent.

You can also open a bank account on a tourist visa. I am converting to an Non immigrant O with a retirement extension. It would be smart to wait for the marriage/retirement option... I sure hope that does not get complicated.

I think the Car Dealers would sell you anything ... but would the Government transfer the ownership of the car into your name on a Tourist Visa?

As for Bank Accounts on a Tourist Visa ... many have been declined. Some may ... but many also have been declined.

If you got one ... well done.

Well done...pfft.

I have opened six bank accounts, a share trading account, bought gold, bought mutual funds, obtained a visa card, purchased two properties, four motorbikes, and two cars...all on a tourist visa.

I have also sold one car and two motobikes...all on a tourist visa.

Good god man...you post with such didactism but you are totally clueless...

I think it depends on where you conduct business, I mean I got my 1 Yr. DL in Samui, I got the non-o specifically for getting a license but, don't think it was even looked at. Where as I got my 5 yr. DL up north and non-o visa was checked.

I went to the trouble to get a non-o went I got my DL and when I bought truck and Motorbike. Now, I'm back to 30 day tourist visas. We'll see.

Yes, I also went the Non-O Visa to get my Licence and bought a car as I was refused the Licence on a Tourist Visa.

Will be getting a Non-O again when I head back.

Ha, I'm pretty sure that if you told them you only got the NON O for the purpose of the purchase and then intended to go back to a tourist visa, you would have had a problem.

Right there, that is an example of you abusing the system by deceiving the government.

Residents who work here or spouses have the PRIVILEGE of owning a vehicle. Tourists DO NOT.

Having a good cash flow is my privilege little man, now be off with you.

Thailand like any other country reserves the right to allow or disallow entry to whom it wishes.

Your 30 day stamp is not a Tourist Visa it is just permission to stay for 30 days.

Seriously? Is it £500 a year for a Non-'O' now?

• Like 1

No, I paid about 6600 Bt for a one year multiple entry Non-Imm O in Penang about three months ago.

• Like 1

No, I paid about 6600 Bt for a one year multiple entry Non-Imm O in Penang about three months ago.

Phew!

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

Non-Immigrant Type O

• Birth Certificate (applicant's child)
  • Certificate of Marriage or its equivalents (if married to Thai national)
  • a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 anuually.)
  • An official recommendation letter from organization perform voluntary job in Thailand (for volunteer job)
  • Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner.

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76

Edited by MJP