Will you lose your condo or car?

Bulldozer Dawn

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve read the thread the OP is refering to and I`m afraid he`s not the last one who will encounter this problem in the future.However : Why on earth would anyone purchase property or valuables in a country that in most cases will not issue you a proper visa for your stay or change the criteria for the visa due to political circumstances ?

Please, now you're just being logical...

Please stop trying to argue that visa rules changed because of the junta.

These are just strict implementations -like in all sectors of Thailand daily life- of already existing laws.

I might be one of the first member from this forum who have been denied entrance for having too many back to back stamps

That was in April and the previous government was still in charge.

I never complained about that...

Opposite that opened my eyes and made me realize that -when putting my redtape laziness on the side- there are much better and stable ways to stay peace of mind in the land of smiles.

Not just Methinks: facts!!

Most of us knows that the proposed tightening of regulations came BEFORE the coup.However the military has made sure it`s now being implemented at a breakneck speed.....to fast for the Immigrations officers who in usual thai style has different interpretations of it .

I`ve read the thread the OP is refering to and I`m afraid he`s not the last one who will encounter this problem in the future.However : Why on earth would anyone purchase property or valuables in a country that in most cases will not issue you a proper visa for your stay or change the criteria for the visa due to political circumstances ?

Please, now you're just being logical...

Please stop trying to argue that visa rules changed because of the junta.

These are just strict implementations -like in all sectors of Thailand daily life- of already existing laws.

I might be one of the first member from this forum who have been denied entrance for having too many back to back stamps

That was in April and the previous government was still in charge.

I never complained about that...

Opposite that opened my eyes and made me realize that -when putting my redtape laziness on the side- there are much better and stable ways to stay peace of mind in the land of smiles.

Not just Methinks: facts!!

Most of us knows that the proposed tightening of regulations came BEFORE the coup.However the military has made sure it`s now being implemented at a breakneck speed.....to fast for the Immigrations officers who in usual thai style has different interpretations of it .

When I got stopped, in Swampy, there was at least a dozen of trainees in the immigration office downstairs.

Those kids were certainly not recruited from the streets and they all looked like quick and zealous learners.

Your vitriol reminds me on "FatDrunkandStupid" I think you are him.

You've got $$$$ dripping out of your ass and a GF with a Master's Degree but no common sense to get a Non-Imm Visa.

Maybe you should add Special Needs to your resume.

That thought about FatDrunkandStupid passed my thoughts also, as Bulldozer Dawn posted some stuff about me in a now deleted post (thanks Mods) that not that many people know.

If that's true, it's kinda of sad because FatDrunkandStupid is quite a smart bloke as far as intellectual quotient is concerned (we used to discuss the Thai Stock Market through a PM).

• Like 1

Well done...pfft.

I have opened six bank accounts, a share trading account, bought gold, bought mutual funds, obtained a visa card, purchased two properties, four motorbikes, and two cars...all on a tourist visa.

I have also sold one car and two motobikes...all on a tourist visa.

Good god man...you post with such didactism but you are totally clueless...

Well, if your opening post is correct, it looks like you could be in a position to loose two properties, four motorbikes and two cars, some gold and a mutual funds account! One would have thought it might have been smarter to obtain a more permanent visa before making that level of investment here, seems very risky to me but hey, each to their own!

Correction ......2 properties....2 motorbikes and 1 car.......

what"! no Partridge or Pear Tree????

Yeap, just a troll. Just take a look at the other threads he has started.

So many guys like him brag about cheating the system and cry like a little girl when he gets called out.

People like him are the ones to blame and who Thailand is trying to get rid of.

Edited by BKKSnowBird
  • Like 2

Your vitriol reminds me on "FatDrunkandStupid" I think you are him.

You've got $$$$ dripping out of your ass and a GF with a Master's Degree but no common sense to get a Non-Imm Visa.

Maybe you should add Special Needs to your resume.

That thought about FatDrunkandStupid passed my thoughts also, as Bulldozer Dawn posted some stuff about me in a now deleted post (thanks Mods) that not that many people know.

If that's true, it's kinda of sad because FatDrunkandStupid is quite a smart bloke as far as intellectual quotient is concerned (we used to discuss the Thai Stock Market through a PM).

Agreed FDAS seemed to have a high IQ but sometimes you'd wonder if he could tie his own shoelaces.

In fairness, if you own a condo in which you live and a car, you are not really a tourist but rather a resident.

Holding tourist visa and being a resident is not really legal in too many countries. All immigration did was close the loophole.

However, Thailand does have a gap and is missing visa category for those people( besides the elite card, which is not exactly the cheapest option)

It's not as if the cars and condos of the people affected are going to be confiscated. They'll have an opportunity to obtain an appropriate visa, enter the country and sort out the situation if they don't like their long-term prospects.

Or they could simply book a stay at a 200 baht/night guest house to show along with their outbound ticket when they enter the country for each short-term visit. The offshore worker who started the thread on the Visa subforum about being stranded at Swampy a few hours ago says his condo and car are in Chiang Mai. Place is full of 200 baht/night guest houses. If he can sit in the airport and post on ThaiVisa, surely he can make a booking into one of those places. Presto! He's now a tourist.

Edited by NancyL

Seems the establishment has gone anti fallang ,

The guy at swampy might not be able to enter Thailand to dispose of his assets, that's where the problem is,

Another post says china/Taiwan people can come here with no visa for a 3 month period,

The 30baht hospital plan is being abolished,

These things don't just happen they were planed out ages ago,

What's next on the list,

All of a sudden Los doesn't seem that appealing of a place,

Think it won't happen to you, think again

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

^^ that is pretty much the story there... Thai Elite card too expensive in comparison to a 1 year Tourist Visa in Vietnam/Cambodia.

But that is the catch, if you live in a country in purchased property and fully set up, by definition you are not a tourist. May be this is Thai way of wanting ONLY people with money under the retirement age to be able to stay in Thailand (the elite card)

Too many have abused the system and too many are working illegally.

I remember on one trip some years ago, had a guy in a van, married with kids and a business (in wife's name) but he was working it, he was doing visa runs for 6 years or something. When i asked him why on earth would he be doing visa runs, instead of having proper appropriate visa, his reply was, he did not have the money.

He had the money to open business, he had the money to support wife and kids, he did not pay any taxes, wp, nothing at all,

I do not think off shore workers will have problems(only an opinion) because they can easily show they are in an out every 6 weeks, so if they have a TR, immigration can see they are genuine tourists(sort of speak)

It's not as if the cars and condos of the people affected are going to be confiscated. They'll have an opportunity to obtain an appropriate visa, enter the country and sort out the situation if they don't like their long-term prospects.

Or they could simply book a stay at a 200 baht/night guest house to show along with their outbound ticket when they enter the country for each short-term visit. The offshore worker who started the thread on the Visa subforum about being stranded at Swampy a few hours ago says his condo and car are in Chiang Mai. Place is full of 200 baht/night guest houses. If he can sit in the airport and post on ThaiVisa, surely he can make a booking into one of those places. Presto! He's now a tourist.

Absolute garbage.

Immigration will be checking the in/out stamps in his passport, not his hotel booking print out.

How can you buy a car on a tourist visa?

You can buy a condo without any visa. So why not a car?

No idea, but an appropriate visa must be shown when buying. There may, of course, be " unofficial" deals going through, but I have bought 2 new cars here and needed the right visa. A bit like asking why one needs a 5 year licence if you are a tourist, I suppose.

And also the great leveller. TIT

Absolute garbage.

Immigration will be checking the in/out stamps in his passport, not his agoda print out.

That's how I read it, they just wanted to deny him entry,whether he had a booking in hotel or not,

The guy at swampy might not be able to enter Thailand to dispose of his assets, that's where the problem is,

Another post says china/Taiwan people can come here with no visa for a 3 month period,

What's next on the list,

Horse poo, Thailand has not gone anti farang any more than they have gone anti Chinese, anti Korean, anti welsh or anti anything, they are simply enforcing the laws of the land, long standing existing laws too!

What's next on the list,

No they haven't they are anti illegal immigrant, as in why all employers have been made to take all their illegal Laos, Cambodian and Burmese workers to be registered.

Someone living and working here on tourist visas is an illegal immigrant.

The Shins brought in the 30 baht system to replace the previous better system twice which I assume the country will be returning to. If what you say is true.

Just when I thought the Shin propaganda had been stopped, farang takes over for them.

What is the problem ?

So easy to marry to get a visa,

So easy to get an ED visa,

So easy to pay to open a company to get a visa,

and so many other options ! So I wonder why you are all whining like little girls !!!

Getting Married to Get a Visa - just doesn't sound right to me. I married my wife cause I loved her and still love her.

Don't be so old fashioned cheesy.gif

How can you buy a car on a tourist visa?

You can buy a condo without any visa. So why not a car?

No idea, but an appropriate visa must be shown when buying. There may, of course, be " unofficial" deals going through, but I have bought 2 new cars here and needed the right visa. A bit like asking why one needs a 5 year licence if you are a tourist, I suppose.

And also the great leveller. TIT

Can you have a driving licence on a tourist visa and get compulsory insurance ?

^^ that is pretty much the story there... Thai Elite card too expensive in comparison to a 1 year Tourist Visa in Vietnam/Cambodia.

But that is the catch, if you live in a country in purchased property and fully set up, by definition you are not a tourist. May be this is Thai way of wanting ONLY people with money under the retirement age to be able to stay in Thailand (the elite card)

Too many have abused the system and too many are working illegally.

I remember on one trip some years ago, had a guy in a van, married with kids and a business (in wife's name) but he was working it, he was doing visa runs for 6 years or something. When i asked him why on earth would he be doing visa runs, instead of having proper appropriate visa, his reply was, he did not have the money.

He had the money to open business, he had the money to support wife and kids, he did not pay any taxes, wp, nothing at all,

I do not think off shore workers will have problems(only an opinion) because they can easily show they are in an out every 6 weeks, so if they have a TR, immigration can see they are genuine tourists(sort of speak)

Yeah, I mean I have a Thai spouse so I can get a non-immigration O visa but if I did not have a Thai spuse it'd a tough choice between paying 500k up front to stay in Thailand. Even if they were to prorate it annually it would be better.

I think most every foreigner with assets in Thailand should start to be concerned. If this can potentially happen to one class of non-criminal foreigners here, why would you assume you're immune?

Most every foreigner is happy with the Thai Junta. This is what they wanted.

• Like 2

I think most every foreigner with assets in Thailand should start to be concerned. If this can potentially happen to one class of non-criminal foreigners here, why would you assume you're immune?

That's nonsense JT and you know it, you will be aware that the government is not cracking down on nor seizing assets, they are enforcing immigration regulations, long standing ones at that. If a person has acquired assets here without first obtaining a visa, it was clear they were taking a risk from the outset. Despite their inability to renter immediately they retain control and ownership of their assets.

• Like 1

Will they be cracking down on houses bought illegally with bogus thai companies. That's when the real pain will start.

I don't know about other parts of the country but that crackdown has been underway here for several years, at least two friends, both long term residents, have been visited by LO officials where the matter has been discussed quite amicably. The end result was that both were given six months to transfer ownership into some form of legal mechanism and both quite happily obliged.

Will they be cracking down on houses bought illegally with bogus thai companies. That's when the real pain will start.

I don't know about other parts of the country but that crackdown has been underway here for several years, at least two friends, both long term residents, have been visited by LO officials where the matter has been discussed quite amicably. The end result was that both were given six months to transfer ownership into some form of legal mechanism and both quite happily obliged.

Yes this is correct. If you are found to have proxy Thai shareholders for your land/house you will be given 180 days to remedy it.

Stop listening to scaremongers and get a bloody proper visa if you want to live permanently in Thailand.

That's nonsense JT and you know it, you will be aware that the government is not cracking down on nor seizing assets, they are enforcing immigration regulations, long standing ones at that. If a person has acquired assets here without first obtaining a visa, it was clear they were taking a risk from the outset. Despite their inability to renter immediately they retain control and ownership of their assets.

There seems to be a lot of scaremongering going on at the moment all over this forum, including this thread. Once the dust settles and all the illegals are gone, we'll be just fine. People who are legal shouldn't be losing sleep over this. And they certainly shouldn't be creating ridiculous hypotheticals that will never happen.

• Like 2

Yeap, just a troll. Just take a look at the other threads he has started.

So many guys like him brag about cheating the system and cry like a little girl when he gets called out.

People like him are the ones to blame and who Thailand is trying to get rid of.

You do a grave dis-service to all "little girls".