Will you lose your condo or car?

Bulldozer Dawn

Many, such as myself, have stayed here in Thailand on valid and legal Tourist visas.

Oil and gas workers and miners who fly in and out on monthly rotations are a relevant example.

Most of these individuals have purchased cars, bikes and other vehicles, and many have purchased condos.

It was quite possible, legal, and acceptable to the Thai authorities to make these puchases while holding a Tourist visa.

Now these same people are being refused entry at the airports:

Here is one such report:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743437-furious-refused-entry-at-suvarnabhumi-airport/

If these individuals are not allowed back in to Thailand sell, or otherwise dispose of their assets then it may be argued that the crime of THEFT BY DECEPTION has been perpetrated.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it, its just a matter of having the appropriate visa and nothing more. A 'visa exempt' entry is what was refused in this case. Had an appropriate visa been issued from a Consulate the issue would not arise I suggest.

• Like 1

All of these people that are caught in the gap do have an option... The Thai 500K Elite Card is the only option you have, however expensive it is... For those in that work offshore in O&G, 500K baht for 5 years doesn't sound too bad, especially if you have no other options... Or you could always marry a Thai woman...

Actually, if you read the enforcement rules coming down the line, they are talking about refusing people entry who have tourist visas. What are AIRLINES supposed to do? Clearly immigration is going to be looking at passports and making snap judgments.

Another post removed, DO NOT quote interpretations of law unless they are direct translations of Thai law as they have no relevance and could possibly mislead people.

The ONLY point thats relevant and applicable in Thailand is Thai law.

I`ve read the thread the OP is refering to and I`m afraid he`s not the last one who will encounter this problem in the future.However : Why on earth would anyone purchase property or valuables in a country that in most cases will not issue you a proper visa for your stay or change the criteria for the visa due to political circumstances ?

Please, now you're just being logical...

• Like 2

I went to the trouble to get a non-o went I got my DL and when I bought truck and Motorbike. Now, I'm back to 30 day tourist visas. We'll see.

Yes, I also went the Non-O Visa to get my Licence and bought a car as I was refused the Licence on a Tourist Visa.

Will be getting a Non-O again when I head back.

How can you buy a car on a tourist visa?

I have not done so, but after some inquiries, several car dealers told me I could buy a car on a tourist visa, as long as I put down 30 to 50 percent.

You can also open a bank account on a tourist visa. I am converting to an Non immigrant O with a retirement extension. It would be smart to wait for the marriage/retirement option... I sure hope that does not get complicated.

I have not done so, but after some inquiries, several car dealers told me I could buy a car on a tourist visa, as long as I put down 30 to 50 percent.

You can also open a bank account on a tourist visa. I am converting to an Non immigrant O with a retirement extension. It would be smart to wait for the marriage/retirement option... I sure hope that does not get complicated.

I think the Car Dealers would sell you anything ... but would the Government transfer the ownership of the car into your name on a Tourist Visa?

As for Bank Accounts on a Tourist Visa ... many have been declined. Some may ... but many also have been declined.

If you got one ... well done.

I think the Car Dealers would sell you anything ... but would the Government transfer the ownership of the car into your name on a Tourist Visa?

As for Bank Accounts on a Tourist Visa ... many have been declined. Some may ... but many also have been declined.

Well done...pfft.

I have opened six bank accounts, a share trading account, bought gold, bought mutual funds, obtained a visa card, purchased two properties, four motorbikes, and two cars...all on a tourist visa.

I have also sold one car and two motobikes...all on a tourist visa.

Good god man...you post with such didactism but you are totally clueless...

• Like 1

Well done...pfft.

I have opened six bank accounts, a share trading account, bought gold, bought mutual funds, obtained a visa card, purchased two properties, four motorbikes, and two cars...all on a tourist visa.

So it can be done but not technically legal. Why would you put yourself in that situation?

Play with fire and get burned as they say. Good luck to you but I will keep my cash in my home country and rent.

Well done...pfft.

Bulldozer Dawn, I have no idea why you wish to target me.

But, if you are going to use those big words ... at least get them correct.

It's 'didacticism'

... meaning 'An artistic philosophy that emphasises instructional and informative qualities over mere entertainment'

Here

Thanks for that ... thumbsup.gif

BTW JT ... you're likeing the wrong man.

I`ve read the thread the OP is refering to and I`m afraid he`s not the last one who will encounter this problem in the future.However : Why on earth would anyone purchase property or valuables in a country that in most cases will not issue you a proper visa for your stay or change the criteria for the visa due to political circumstances ?

Please, now you're just being logical...

Please stop trying to argue that visa rules changed because of the junta.

These are just strict implementations -like in all sectors of Thailand daily life- of already existing laws.

I might be one of the first member from this forum who have been denied entrance for having too many back to back stamps

That was in April and the previous government was still in charge.

I never complained about that...

Opposite that opened my eyes and made me realize that -when putting my redtape laziness on the side- there are much better and stable ways to stay peace of mind in the land of smiles.

Not just Methinks: facts!!

• Like 2

Well done...pfft.

Well, if your opening post is correct, it looks like you could be in a position to loose two properties, four motorbikes and two cars, some gold and a mutual funds account! One would have thought it might have been smarter to obtain a more permanent visa before making that level of investment here, seems very risky to me but hey, each to their own!

Correction ......2 properties....2 motorbikes and 1 car.......

Your vitriol reminds me on "FatDrunkandStupid" I think you are him.

You've got $$$$ dripping out of your ass and a GF with a Master's Degree but no common sense to get a Non-Imm Visa.

Maybe you should add Special Needs to your resume.

• Like 2