If you get refused entry at an Airport what happens?

Dont know abt the States, but its uniform across all the International airlines for flights out of Australia now. Admittedly, doesnt seem to happen in KL or Singapore, but that could change in the wake of the crackdown - given that flights are so cheap from most of the regional hubs, for me it's no biggie. 

Hardly uniform. I fly every month and usually buy tickets at the Thai end. So from Oz, I'm usually on the return leg (so no Oz inbound ticket).

In 7.5 years of living in KL & BKK, I've been asked maybe 5 times and I've always just explained that no one in Asia asks. Only once was it an issue when a bolshi bloke on replacement duty at Malaysia Airlines check in pushed it. Was resolved in 5 mins with a supervisor.

So it's far from uniform.

So somebody asking for the correct and required paperwork is a bolshi bloke?

In his case yes. He was what some might call a jobsworth...

Thanks for asking :)

Dont know abt the States, but its uniform across all the International airlines for flights out of Australia now. Admittedly, doesnt seem to happen in KL or Singapore, but that could change in the wake of the crackdown - given that flights are so cheap from most of the regional hubs, for me it's no biggie. 

Hardly uniform. I fly every month and usually buy tickets at the Thai end. So from Oz, I'm usually on the return leg (so no Oz inbound ticket).

In 7.5 years of living in KL & BKK, I've been asked maybe 5 times and I've always just explained that no one in Asia asks. Only once was it an issue when a bolshi bloke on replacement duty at Malaysia Airlines check in pushed it. Was resolved in 5 mins with a supervisor.

So it's far from uniform.

Can I ask what visa you've been travelling on ? Those of us who normally travel on nothing more than the 30-day exemption may have a different set of experiences - thankfully I saw the writing on the wall and I would want to speak to a supervisor if they tried that on now. 

Since the average stay for ALL visitors to Thailand (2012) is 10 days with those from Europe averaging 16 days and from USA a day less I think the impact on visa restrictions to airlines flying into Thailand is being greatly exaggerated but I guess we'll soon enough find out.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Officially, I believe (though I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong), you need a return or onward ticket OR a valid visa to satisfy airline requirements to be allowed to board a flight to Thailand. If an airline allows a passenger to board without satisfying these requirements they can face fines from the country of arrival, and be stuck with the expense of removing the passenger from the country. I'm not au fait with the law, but I'd expect in the early days of the crackdown the airlines would foot the bill for the removal of a refused passenger who doesn't meet the requirements. 

For years the airlines have been fairly lax about these requirements with regards to Thailand, at least for passengers arriving from countries that are eligible for a visa exemption, as there was little risk of them being refused entry. If the worst case scenario occurs, and people start to be refused entry while holding a valid visa (or refused a visa exemption), you can probably expect the airlines to start screening passengers more closely, and maybe refusing to board those who haven't booked a return or forward flight, as they won't want to be left holding the bill when an IO decides Mr Smith has already enjoyed Thailand quite enough for this year. Again, this is a worst case scenario, and it's conjecture in any case. 

What I can tell you from experience is that airlines often follow whatever rules they please, regardless of the law, and there's really no way to know what will happen until you're in that situation. I was once refused entry to Mongolia while holding a valid tourist visa (I'd been blacklisted without being informed, and the issuing embassy hadn't checked the blacklist before issuing me the visa). I flew in from Beijing with Air China on a one way ticket, and I was returned to Beijing at my own expense. The flight crew literally walked me to the Air China desk at Beijing airport, told me to empty my pockets and took all my cash as payment for the flight. I was then put on a Lufthansa flight back to Frankfurt, which was paid for by Lufthansa. There's no rhyme or reason, so the best thing to do is have a contingency plan.

I am confused by your account of your deportation from Mongolia. You say you flew in from Beijing with Air China a and was returned to Beijing at your own expense. OK understood. You then say that you were taken to the Air China desk at Beijing airport and flown back to Frankfurt by Lufthansa?? How is that relevant and what has it got to do with being refused entry  to Mongolia? Am I missing something?

• Like 1

I thought that it is up to the airlines to make sure you have a valid visa to fly into a country, if not they have to take you back to where you came from.

I wonder how airlines are going to interpret these new rules?

Valid visas do not guarantee entry.  Immigration may turn you back at their own whims. How would the airline that flew you in be culpable?

How is this for a scenario? You come off the plane, show your passport, you are 100% legal, lets just say that you have a re-entry permit, the officer decides at his own whim " Somebody has upset me, I am in a bad mood, so I will refuse this person entry". Is that it? Does the unfortunate person just go away in tears and try and arrange a flight back to where he came from.

I can't imagine something like this happening, maybe I'm wrong.

I understand.  I imagine, you would get a second hearing. More than likely you will be interviewed,  in a holding area by a senior immigration officer, where you once again provide documents and points of contention before they decide, at their whims, that you are not a tourist...   Then, I would say, would be the time for tears.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

I've been married to a Thai man and have two Thai children. All three have double nationalities. I am the only one with just one Belgian passport. I have been refused to board a plane twice as i could not prove an onward flight for me. Once in Auckland and once in London. Both times i had to book and pay an outward ticket or i would have missed a very costly flight - so: it happens all the time. You were just lucky if it never happened to you

Well I guess immigration officers don't mess with people with American passports...their country might get Iraqed. :)

I live in Thailand on what is referred to by many as a retirement visa, but is actually an extension of stay.  I also have a multiple entry non-immigrant 'O' visa.  Both expire on 25th August and I am hoping to renew both prior to then and I see no reason why there should be a problem as I can prove I fulfill the criteria that is currently required, you'll note I say currently, because everything at the moment could be subject to change. During the period of the validity of my current extension of stay I have travelled out of and returned to Thailand at least 5 times on return tickets, i.e. from Thailand to my destination and back.  The last of these trips was 3 weeks ago when I returned from the UK.  Obviously my return ticket from the UK to Thailand was the 2nd half of a return, so I had no 'return' ticket to the UK or proof of onward travel, nor was I asked to produce any.  In fact I was asked in polite conversation whether I was living in Thailand and when I answered in the affirmative, I was asked how I liked it!  On my immigration form to enter Thailand I always write Thailand as 'place of residence', well I currently reside in Thailand, so why not, and again I have never been pulled up on this.  Am I just lucky, or is the fact that I have en extension of stay and a multiple entry non-immigrant 'O' visa sufficient to negate the necessity for a return ticket or proof on onward travel?  

I live in Thailand on what is referred to by many as a retirement visa, but is actually an extension of stay.  I also have a multiple entry non-immigrant 'O' visa.  Both expire on 25th August and I am hoping to renew both prior to then and I see no reason why there should be a problem as I can prove I fulfill the criteria that is currently required, you'll note I say currently, because everything at the moment could be subject to change. During the period of the validity of my current extension of stay I have travelled out of and returned to Thailand at least 5 times on return tickets, i.e. from Thailand to my destination and back.  The last of these trips was 3 weeks ago when I returned from the UK.  Obviously my return ticket from the UK to Thailand was the 2nd half of a return, so I had no 'return' ticket to the UK or proof of onward travel, nor was I asked to produce any.  In fact I was asked in polite conversation whether I was living in Thailand and when I answered in the affirmative, I was asked how I liked it!  On my immigration form to enter Thailand I always write Thailand as 'place of residence', well I currently reside in Thailand, so why not, and again I have never been pulled up on this.  Am I just lucky, or is the fact that I have en extension of stay and a multiple entry non-immigrant 'O' visa sufficient to negate the necessity for a return ticket or proof on onward travel?  

You reside in Thailand and are exempt from all this because of your valid visa extension. No return ticket required as you are actually coming home.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 2

If you have a return ticket you will be put on the next flight back to your original destination. If no return then expect to be held until your embassy (unlikely) or family/friends organise a ticket out of there. It's your responsibility, and so it should be.

If you flew in expecting to get a visa exempt entry, the airline ought to have made sure you have a ticket for a flight out or it will be the airline's problem to return you to the point where you started.

Otherwise you are responsible. I doubt any country will give you a free flight back home. Either the airline you came in on will be held responsible or you will be required to pay for the flight. If refusal of entry even with a visa becomes common at Suvarnabhumi you can be sure more airlines will expect you to have an onward ticket even if you have a tourist visa.

Sometimes you take up residence in the airport ...

Edward Snowden Joins the Exclusive ‘Stuck in the Airport’ Club

On-the-run NSA leaker Edward Snowden made a dash from his refuge in Hong Kong and is now reportedly biding his time in the transit lounge of Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport. But he isn’t the only one to make an airport his home while trying to plot a next move. From the man who spent 18 years in Charles de Gaulle airport and inspired Tom Hanks's role in The Terminal to a mysterious Sri Lankan who disappeared after four months of waiting in Venezuela, here are six other men and women who, for various reasons, have found themselves stuck in an awkward state of limbo inside the airport.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/06/25/edward-snowden-joins-the-exclusive-stuck-in-the-airport-club.html

Youre doing it right :)

• Like 1

Officially, I believe (though I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong), you need a return or onward ticket OR a valid visa to satisfy airline requirements to be allowed to board a flight to Thailand. If an airline allows a passenger to board without satisfying these requirements they can face fines from the country of arrival, and be stuck with the expense of removing the passenger from the country. I'm not au fait with the law, but I'd expect in the early days of the crackdown the airlines would foot the bill for the removal of a refused passenger who doesn't meet the requirements. 

For years the airlines have been fairly lax about these requirements with regards to Thailand, at least for passengers arriving from countries that are eligible for a visa exemption, as there was little risk of them being refused entry. If the worst case scenario occurs, and people start to be refused entry while holding a valid visa (or refused a visa exemption), you can probably expect the airlines to start screening passengers more closely, and maybe refusing to board those who haven't booked a return or forward flight, as they won't want to be left holding the bill when an IO decides Mr Smith has already enjoyed Thailand quite enough for this year. Again, this is a worst case scenario, and it's conjecture in any case. 

What I can tell you from experience is that airlines often follow whatever rules they please, regardless of the law, and there's really no way to know what will happen until you're in that situation. I was once refused entry to Mongolia while holding a valid tourist visa (I'd been blacklisted without being informed, and the issuing embassy hadn't checked the blacklist before issuing me the visa). I flew in from Beijing with Air China on a one way ticket, and I was returned to Beijing at my own expense. The flight crew literally walked me to the Air China desk at Beijing airport, told me to empty my pockets and took all my cash as payment for the flight. I was then put on a Lufthansa flight back to Frankfurt, which was paid for by Lufthansa. There's no rhyme or reason, so the best thing to do is have a contingency plan.

I am confused by your account of your deportation from Mongolia. You say you flew in from Beijing with Air China a and was returned to Beijing at your own expense. OK understood. You then say that you were taken to the Air China desk at Beijing airport and flown back to Frankfurt by Lufthansa?? How is that relevant and what has it got to do with being refused entry  to Mongolia? Am I missing something?

I skipped the first part of the story. My inward flight originated in Manchester, UK, with changes in Frankfurt and Beijing. When you're denied entry into a country you must be returned, either at your own expense or courtesy of the airline, back to a country for which you don't need a visa. Usually the airline will return you in the reverse of your incoming itinerary, so I was returned to Frankfurt and sent on my way. 

This is an important point for visitors to Thailand who have arrived on indirect flights. If you fly in on a UK passport from London via Moscow and you're denied entry or arrival in Thailand, by default you'll be returned all the way back to London rather than Moscow (unless you happen to have a valid Russian visa). 

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I thought that it is up to the airlines to make sure you have a valid visa to fly into a country, if not they have to take you back to where you came from.

Valid visas do not guarantee entry.  Immigration may turn you back at their own whims. How would the airline that flew you in be culpable?

So if one is refused entry, is there any appeal.   Maybe officer A  refuses but officer X disagrees and allows entry.

I don't think there's any formal escalation procedure with Thai immigration.

On the subject of being refused entry at an airport, there is an informal agreement that if one Asian country refuses you entry, they ALL will.

Immigration will return you to the country where you cannot be refused entry; namely your homeland.

If you don't cover the expense yourself, you are shipped to the Immigration Detention Centre until such time as either you, your family or the airline that brought you to BKK coughs up the airfare.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So if one is refused entry, is there any appeal.   Maybe officer A  refuses but officer X disagrees and allows entry.

I don't think there's any formal escalation procedure with Thai immigration.

On the subject of being refused entry at an airport, there is an informal agreement that if one Asian country refuses you entry, they ALL will.

Immigration will return you to the country where you cannot be refused entry; namely your homeland.

If you don't cover the expense yourself, you are shipped to the Immigration Detention Centre until such time as either you, your family or the airline that brought you to BKK coughs up the airfare.

I don't live in the United States and I fly to BKK from Japan. 

So if knocked back would have to buy a ticket all the way to the US where there is no non-stop flight

when many Yanks transit through NRT anyway? That would really suck.

Edited by arunsakda

This used to be on the Hull consulate website but a lot of the downloads that were available were dropped when they revamped the website.

One-way flight ticket to Thailand

Please note that under Thailand’s immigration rules it is allowed for a foreigner to fly to Thailand on a one-way ticket only if they are in

possession of a valid visa which they can present when they check-in

for their flight to Thailand.

Without such a visa the traveller will not be allowed to board their flight

to Thailand with a one-way ticket.

Please also note that some flight operators may be reluctant to accept

a traveller to Thailand with a one-way ticket even if they are in

possession of a valid visa. This may be something to do with rules

or regulations imposed by the flight operator.  Accordingly, we advise

all travellers to check this with their airway carrier (not travel agent) well

in advance of travelling to avoid last minute complications.

For information about obtaining a visa for Thailand please contact

the Royal Thai Consulate in Hullwww.thaiconsul-uk.com

Yes, that's pretty much how it works everywhere around the world.   The transporting airline has the responsibility to take you back.  That's why airlines often ask you to show an onward ticket when you check in.   They may or may not come after you for any related expenses.  

It is also probably why the date of implementation at the airports was after the date at ground borders, giving the airlines time to prepare.  

And if you do get denied, chances are they won't turn you loose in the Transit area or anywhere else.  Other countries keep the passenger in a detention area until the outbound flight.     Can't imagine why Thailand would be different. 
"often ask you to show an onward ticket," where do you get thus information? I've traveled all around Asia and back and forth to the States maybe 50 times over 15 years and never been asked to show an onward ticket.

It used to be very common.. Multiple friends and my brother have been refused boarding until they scrambled around and purchased a cheap outbound in the airport..

When asked for outbound tickets I have always been able to show a visa and that was that.. It's the 30 day visa exempt stamp that some airline check in desks demand an outbound ticket for.
  • Like 1

If the VISA is in correct order. Why would there be any problem? The world is going through what we as individuals are going through. Preparing and understanding how to make life work better. Getting to higher quality in our survival. One for all and all for one.

When asked for outbound tickets I have always been able to show a visa and that was that.. It's the 30 day visa exempt stamp that some airline check in desks demand an outbound ticket for.

Correct. I was working 28/28 in Kuwait for years. Emirates wouldn't allow me on my flight from Kuwait to Bkk unless I had a return to Kuwait

My recollection is that Immigration regulations require those denied entry back on the plane they arrived on, making the airline take responsibility to get rid of them. If the flight has already left, you have to wait airside for the airline to take you on their next flight which in some cases may be several days.  I remember the case of a Brit with a criminal record who flew in from Manila and was denied entry and sent back to Manila.  When the Filipinos realised he had a criminal record they decided they didn't want him either and sent him back to Bangkok.  Eventually the British Embassy had to arrange to have to have him carted back to the UK.   

My recollection is that Immigration regulations require those denied entry back on the plane they arrived on, making the airline take responsibility to get rid of them. If the flight has already left, you have to wait airside for the airline to take you on their next flight which in some cases may be several days.  I remember the case of a Brit with a criminal record who flew in from Manila and was denied entry and sent back to Manila.  When the Filipinos realised he had a criminal record they decided they didn't want him either and sent him back to Bangkok.  Eventually the British Embassy had to arrange to have to have him carted back to the UK.   

With so many flight not simply returning on the same route.. Makes that a bit unlikely..

AFAIK, they arent checking your past history of back-to-back exemptions / tourist visas - that's Immigration's job. What doesnt seem clear is whether the airlines are demanding to see proof of a return flight booking - they do in Australia but not in regional airports across Asia IME. 

Personally, I'd be less than impressed if AirAsia staff started grilling me about whether or not I was a genuine tourist, but it will be interesting to see if the airlines add some form of advisory or FAQ to their websites for 'Frequent Travellers to Thailand' - the Smart Traveller website provided for Australians travelling to Thailand contains no such advice.

The British Foreign Office does have something I didnt see on the Smart Traveller website:

Proof of onward travel

Immigration officials in Thailand may ask you for proof of onward travel (eg a return or onward air ticket). You should make all reservations before leaving for Thailand. Some airlines have refused to board passengers without evidence of onward travel.

AirAsia currently provides this gem for those looking to fly to Thailand from their KL hub. 

Smiling is all you’ll do as this beautiful land of elephants and smiles will please you in every way.

This could become a little difficult if one has a Non imm"O"  which gives 15 months. Most airlines will not take return booking over 12 months or extend flight change over 12 months. I have had this problem, so just took a one way tkt.  Holding a non imm "O"  proves that i have the finances and requirements.

If I am not wrong...with a valid NO visa you can get are-entry permit inside or outside Thailand paying the fee....about 1000TH.

Edited by umbanda

this is all a mess I get Thailand's position on Visa'a especially the mini vans from BKK and Pattaya,,,leave at 7:00 AM return sames day before 5:00 PM with a new visa,,,definitely an abuse and I have done this myself what I do not understand is that Thailand wants to increase tourism I was going to my local Thai consulate to get 90 day single entry visa but rather than lose the money if I am denied,,,,will now go with the 30 day visa on arrival option until I find out where I stand I am also worried about import duties,,,will they tax me on my laptop, my Camera, My watch etc etc If I had not already booked and paid for my flights from Central America,,,,I would be now booking for another country in SE Asia rather than Thailand until the dust settles and the rules become clearer I am assuming I will be OK as I left Thailand last March and returning late August I am hoping to apply for a retirement visa this year,,,tried last year but a friendly Immigration police officer on the help desk offered to help me out for only 17k baht and I left as politely and quickly as I could (corrupt police make me nervous) none of the above can be good for tourism,,,,If I was a first timer,,,Thailand would be off my destination list,,,who needs the uncertainty and hassle when going on vacation true a first timer should not have a problem with immigration but still the duty laws to worry about maybe I have missed something about what is going to be taxed and what is not

this is all a mess I get Thailand's position on Visa'a especially the mini vans from BKK and Pattaya,,,leave at 7:00 AM return sames day before 5:00 PM with a new visa,,,

A visa exempt entry, not a visa.

definitely an abuse and I have done this myself what I do not understand is that Thailand wants to increase tourism I was going to my local Thai consulate to get 90 day single entry visa but rather than lose the money if I am denied

If your paperwork is not right, Thai consulate does not accept the application.
And if it is right, you pay the fee and get the visa.
That is unlike other countries.

will now go with the 30 day visa on arrival

visa exempt, not visa on arrival.

option until I find out where I stand I am also worried about import duties,,,will they tax me on my laptop, my Camera, My watch etc etc

This is simply not happening despite what they have announced (and is not that).

The rest I'm skipping, you think too much.

Edited by paz

I've been asked a couple of times to show an onward ticket or sign a waiver but as I hold a seamanship discharge book I have no problems with any of that once I show that to them. It's come in quite handy over the years!

Never been asked to show an onward ticket on arrival in Thailand.

Either way, even if you have an onward ticket it will be useless if immigration knock you back on entry. You may be able to change the dates for a fee.

With so many flight not simply returning on the same route.. Makes that a bit unlikely..

The plane doesn't have to be returning to the same place. I flew to Delhi from HK on Lufthansa once and 2 German businessmen on the flight were denied entry to India and bundled back on the same plane which was going on to Frankfurt. They argued like hell with Indian immigration to be deported back to HK, where they Worked at their own (company's expense) or somewhere else in SE Asia but to no avail. In such a case, if the flight is full, the airline will have to bump passengers off to oblige an order from immigration. In this case it was indeed Lufthansa's fault for not checking the visas properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

im in exactly the same criteria as you,and the last two times in manchester they asked about my visa and had to get a supervisor to clear it,think it was eithad airlines,yet emirites,never bothered,the time before.

The Airline is only responsible for repatriating the passenger if they, the Airline, made a mistake in letting him Board in the first place.

If you have no Visa and expect to get a Visa Exempt entry into Thailand on arrival then the Airline is responsible for checking that you have an outward ticket within 30 days of expected arrival in Thailand.

If you have a Visa then they will let you Board.

Those are the only checks the Airline must make to protect themselves from any liability.

If the passenger has a Visa and is later denied entry to Thailand for any reason the Airline is in no way responsible for getting him out of the Country, he has to make the arrangements himself - even if it means sleeping Airside for a day or so.

Patrick