If you get refused entry at an Airport what happens?

Whenever I've checked in at LHR and they know I'm staying more than 30 days and don't see visa.

I say I'll be leaving before that to go to Singapore.

Never had a problem.

But it was a return ticket.

Did buy a return ticket before BKK to LHR to BKK.

When I checked in at LHR with what was effectively a one way ticket.

Told them I would buy another ticket when I arrive.
If you can't afford a ticket home should you really be travelling

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Whenever I've checked in at LHR and they know I'm staying more than 30 days and don't see visa.

I say I'll be leaving before that to go to Singapore.

Never had a problem.

But it was a return ticket.

Did buy a return ticket before BKK to LHR to BKK.

When I checked in at LHR with what was effectively a one way ticket.

Told them I would buy another ticket when I arrive.
If you can't afford a ticket home should you really be travelling

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Hull Consulate application pack, and I assume other UK consulates, used to have a self certification form in respect of funds for repatriation but that seems to have been dropped with the new format this year.

After reading this entry while heading back home to Chiang Mai with 2 expired "O" visas in my passport, I was a little nervous.  Normally, I don't have an onward ticket back to work as I don't plan in advance, this time I did and had it ready when I got to BKK Immigration.  Nothing ... didn't need.  Lady stamped me for 30 days without even a look at me.  Caught the flight to CNX and am here for a week before moving the family out of Thailand for Jordan for 2 years for work.  

Am sure this has all been covered already, but just wanted to say the new immigration/visa rules might be dependent on the immigration officer behind the desk and the person's dress and demeanor. 

I thought that it is up to the airlines to make sure you have a valid visa to fly into a country, if not they have to take you back to where you came from.

I wonder how airlines are going to interpret these new rules?

Valid visas do not guarantee entry.  Immigration may turn you back at their own whims. How would the airline that flew you in be culpable?

Yes, that's pretty much how it works everywhere around the world.   The transporting airline has the responsibility to take you back.  That's why airlines often ask you to show an onward ticket when you check in.   They may or may not come after you for any related expenses.  

It is also probably why the date of implementation at the airports was after the date at ground borders, giving the airlines time to prepare.  

And if you do get denied, chances are they won't turn you loose in the Transit area or anywhere else.  Other countries keep the passenger in a detention area until the outbound flight.     Can't imagine why Thailand would be different. 

No, the airline only has that responsibility if they have failed to follow the visa rules. If they follow the rules and you are turned away, there is no such responsibility. US immigration will hold you in detention unless you buy a ticket on the spot. I've seen it happen. 

If you have a return ticket you will be put on the next flight back to your original destination. If no return then expect to be held until your embassy (unlikely) or family/friends organise a ticket out of there. It's your responsibility, and so it should be.

Where did u get this info from? Doesnt sound right.

• Like 1

If you have a return ticket you will be put on the next flight back to your original destination. If no return then expect to be held until your embassy (unlikely) or family/friends organise a ticket out of there. It's your responsibility, and so it should be.

If you are deported or denied entry, immigration expects you to take care of the air fair yourself and book a flight out.

If you don't have the money to buy a ticket, they hold you in detention till you can arrange for a ticket out true family or friends. Months if need be.

If you are deported or denied entry, immigration expects you to take care of the air fair yourself and book a flight out.

If you don't have the money to buy a ticket, they hold you in detention till you can arrange for a ticket out true family or friends. Months if need be.

I have just watched a documentary titled 'Nothing to Declare'. An American arrived in Australia on a Tourist Visa with only 50 dollars and no credit cards. He said a friend was going to put him up and support him during the visit. Immigration phoned the friend to find out but the friend let it slip his brother was going to give him a job. Immigration terminated his visa and within a few hours he was on a flight back to the US.

This crackdown is just xenophobic bullsh*t. Just read from the today's paper that they will be giving soon 3 month visa exempt entries to Chinese!

Wrong. They are giving 3 month visa fee exemptions. That means they will still require a visa but the visa will be free, for 3 months only. I.e. they must apply between Aug 1 and Oct 31.

I highly doubt that the Thais would want to give out 3 month visa exemptions to the Chinese with nothing in return for Thais going to China. That was never part of any agreement. Please read the paper again and you'll find what I said is correct.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

If you get denied entry at Swampy I would think the following happens :

- You have enough funds to buy a ticket out of the country and immigration will let you wait airside for the flight out.

- You don't have enough funds. Then it is more likely you will be put in a detention holding area until someone provides you with the funds or ticket. They will not let you live airside.

This is assuming it is your responsibility and not the airline's. And let's be honest, why would it be the airline's responsibility?

Under Annex 9 of The Convention on International Civil Aviation  (Organisation), ... (ICAO)  contracting states agree to cooperate with one another in removing inadmissible persons

• Airlines are required to remove inadmissible persons to either the point of last departure or any place they are admissible

• Contracting states agree to accept the return of inadmissible persons (if that person commenced their journey from its territory)

• If it is not possible to return the person to the last port of embarkation the airline may seek with the agreement of the person and the state to other course of action, including another destination

If someone is deemed inadmissible to a signatory country, for whatever reason,  the Airline is obligated to return that person  to where they were uplifted. This would be written into each countries legislation.  The Airline has no choice in the matter regardless of how careful they were with checks before uplift.  The airline would obviously try to extract money from the pax to pay for the return flight.

If a passenger arrives with a bogus, or no, passport they can be returned with an ICAO travel document issued by Immigration.

this is all a messI get Thailand's position on Visa'a especially the mini vans from BKK and Pattaya,,,leave at 7:00 AM return sames day before 5:00 PM with a new visa,,,definitely an abuse and I have done this myselfwhat I do not understand is that Thailand wants to increase tourismI was going to my local Thai consulate to get 90 day single entry visa but rather than lose the money if I am denied,,,,will now go with the 30 day visa on arrival option until I find out where I standI am also worried about import duties,,,will they tax me on my laptop, my Camera, My watch etc etcIf I had not already booked and paid for my flights from Central America,,,,I would be now booking for another country in SE Asia rather than Thailand until the dust settles and the rules become clearerI am assuming I will be OK as I left Thailand last March and returning late AugustI am hoping to apply for a retirement visa this year,,,tried last year but a friendly Immigration police officer on the help desk offered to help me out for only 17k baht and I left as politely and quickly as I could (corrupt police make me nervous) none of the above can be good for tourism,,,,If I was a first timer,,,Thailand would be off my destination list,,,who needs the uncertainty and hassle when going on vacationtrue a first timer should not have a problem with immigration but still the duty laws to worry aboutmaybe I have missed something about what is going to be taxed and what is not

Why would a first timer with no previous history / thai visa stamps even remotely be worried a problem with Immigration?

Just can't understand that kind of thinking.
  • Like 2

Let's say you have a valid tourist visa issued in another country and plan to exit Thailand via train to Malaysia. For whatever reason Thai immigration won't let you in and airline has to ship you out again. Airline checked for visa, did as required per rules, but ball was dropped by immigration. Do the airlines have any recourse against Thai government, or do they just have to shut up and eat it?

"but ball was dropped by immigration"

What the heck? Immigration can do whatever they want with you... Just because an airline has done a brief review of your documents doesn't mean you've been vetted by immigration.

Most airline will probably follow Eva Air's example and make you sign a waiver that if you are not allowed entry you are on your own.

I'm not sure they can legally do that. Most countries will force the airline to fly you back if it comes to that. That's the whole reason airlines check your documents to begin with. If they could just leave you at the airport if you got turned away they certainly wouldn't waste all that time making sure you have a valid visa.

I'm not sure they can legally do that. Most countries will force the airline to fly you back if it comes to that. That's the whole reason airlines check your documents to begin with. If they could just leave you at the airport if you got turned away they certainly wouldn't waste all that time making sure you have a valid visa.

If one is denied and airline has done their document check obligations, one flies out at his own expenses or stays in IDC until he does.

Edited by paz

If one is denied and airline has done their document check obligations, one flies out at his own expenses or stays in IDC until he does.

Yeah and I bet anyone would choose the first option over the second :-)