Ms Yingluck’s lawyer is confident her legal team can defend for her in the court

Lite Beer

Bit of a disaster if her team does successfully defend her. But only fair to give them a chance.

It would be a disaster indeed for the country as it would show all politicians that they would not be held accountable for any damage they cause the country or the people through any action or lack of action on their part.

As she said herself, she was only the supervisor so she could not be held accountable for a lack of supervision. I wonder if she knows the meaning of the word ?

"It would be a disaster indeed for the country as it would show all politicians that they would not be held accountable for any damage they cause the country or the people through any action or lack of action on their part."

I look forward to you using that argument in the, ahem, "forthcoming" abhisit and suthep trial..............

Now that will be an interesting trial as I believe they will be found not guilty. They are looking forwards to that trial and of course unlike your hero Thaksin they are still in the country.

• Like 1

The lawyer accused the NACC of being biased against Ms Yingluck

I guess that, after two years of looking at evidence of corruption and dereliction, one would form a bias towards guilt. It would be unethical to vote guilty if you didn't believe it.

How can they define the truth if they refuse her the right to produce all her evidence and witnesses. This trial is a farce and would never get to any honest court in England or Australia for example. I think that they have already decided she is guilty and so now have only to decide when to hang, draw and quarter

She only went before a commission of the NACC and NOT to the courts where she can produce evidence and witnesses.

If this were in the UK or Australia she would never have got to be the PM in the first case and her brother would have been extradited and be in prison years ago.

Aside from that could please try to stay on the topic which is Yingluck, her lawyers and the courts in Thailand.

The authority of the NACC came from Articles 246-251 of the 2007 Constitution that was suspended by the Junta in its entirey except for Article 2 with the King as Head of State. So it would seem NACC would have to discontinue its operations until re-institutionalized. But obviously the Junta has allowed NACC to continue to operate, albeit through authority of martial law. Therein lies a seemingly interesting situation - the NACC operates under the auspices of the Junta.

Can it still be said then that the NACC is truly an independent agency that operates without political or personal bias? One of the Junta's stated objectives is to nuetralize the leadership of the Pheu Thai Party so that it can never mount any significant political opposition to threaten the Junta's reforms through any future electoral process. The destruction of former PM Yingluck's political career would follow as a natural consequence of such a goal. With what might be a literal "gun to their heads," would any member of the NACC deliver anything other than a finding of guilt against Yingluck? NACC's unanimous 7:0 ruling may be telling.

One might argue that the NACC would have reached the same unanimous decision even in absence of the military coup or "intervention" such that operating under martial law had no affect on its ruling. That is pure political conjecture. As NCPO points out in its national reconcliation policy, one must look to facts and not to political ideology in making judgements (I am paraphrasing). Then fact is the ruling came after overthrow of the Yingluck regime.

There is another curious situation involving NACC's independent rulemaking ability in general. The Junta did retain the Penal Code in its entirety and one might expect the NACC to use the penal code as its guide for identifying and investigating alleged criminal acts against the State. Article 113 states "Whoever, commits an act of violence or threatens to commit an act of violence in order to :

1. Overthrow or change the Constitution;

2. Overthrow the legislative power, the executive power or the judicial power of the Constitution, or nullify such power; or

3. Separate the Kingdom or seize the power of administration in any part of the Kingdom, is said to commit insurrection, and shall be punished with death or imprisonment for life."

Would the NACC dare to bite the hand that feeds it? If it were truly independent without political or personal bias, it would.

Good clear post Rick.

There was a report I saw in one of the papers that the NACC went back to the NCPO for approval before they handed down their decision.

The junta is running a Chinese style doctrine of propaganda; discredit your opposition. All has been lost on other court cases:what about Suthep and Abhisit?

xofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3.pn Do you have any links to prove any of what you said?

Edited by billd766

Firstly, her lawyers would not say that Yingluck is going to lose the case because they want her money, even if they know she hasn't a chance in Hell of escaping justice. They will milk her case with appeals after appeals in order to enrich themselves.

Secondly, who in their right mind would believe what a lawyer says?

Thirdly, her lawyers would love to call in more "witnesses" so that they can drag out the case with delays for another couple of years and thereby enrich themselves even more.

Pichit knows how to grease the wheels of the Judiciary? or he thought he knew?

He must be good? I wouldn't use a guy like this.

Pichit was convicted for contempt of court and served six months in jail following the discovery that he and two associates left a bag of pastries containing Bt2 million in cash for officials at the Supreme Court.

Three members of the legal time for ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were ordered to prison for six months without appeal on Wednesday for their part in the snack-box bribe attempt at the Supreme Court.

Lead lawyer Pichit Chuenban, legal assistant Supasri Srisawat and the coordinator of the legal team Thana Tansiri were found guilty by a panel of three judges of contempt of court in the precincts of the court.

Each was given a six-month jail term. http://breakfornews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4481

Back then, the supreme court decided to be the investigator and the jury which is rather bizarre considering they are also the plaintiff. The bribe evidence was not even turn to the DSI or even the NACC for investigation but "returned" to the accused. No CCTV, just the words from the clerk who took the money. Bizarre case.

OP says that Yingluck's Rice Scheme caused the worst damage ever to the state!

Way to go girl! Show your brother how it's done!

(I am starting to wonder if the Shinawatra gene should not be declared public enemy number one...)

"OP says that Yingluck's Rice Scheme caused the worst damage ever to the state!"

Well of course it did, I mean the governments decision to liberalise the financial sector, allowing unregulated offshore borrowing, the subsequent 430 Billion baht spent attempting to rescue finance companies depositors, creditors and investors which was ultimately wasted, and basically the whole financial crisis of 1997 just pales into insignificance when compared to the previous governments Rice Subsidy Scheme. coffee1.gif

Hey Fab, Here we are talking about a hare-brained populist scheme set up merely to simultaneously gain votes and allow the fellow pigs to feast at the trough. One could say that the entire scheme was designed from the beginning to create a loosely regulated huge pool of money with many loopholes so that the corruption would be enabled.

The Tom Yam Goong crisis, on the other hand was the result of Thailand not having enough money to support the USD peg and the country was forced to float the baht.

The former was purely the work of domestic political policy while the latter was the result of international financiers betting billions that Thailand would no longer be able to support the fixed exchange rate.

Apples and Oranges...

• Like 1

(I am starting to wonder if the Shinawatra gene should not be declared public enemy number one...)

"OP says that Yingluck's Rice Scheme caused the worst damage ever to the state!"

Well of course it did, I mean the governments decision to liberalise the financial sector, allowing unregulated offshore borrowing, the subsequent 430 Billion baht spent attempting to rescue finance companies depositors, creditors and investors which was ultimately wasted, and basically the whole financial crisis of 1997 just pales into insignificance when compared to the previous governments Rice Subsidy Scheme. coffee1.gif

Hey Fab, Here we are talking about a hare-brained populist scheme set up merely to simultaneously gain votes and allow the fellow pigs to feast at the trough. One could say that the entire scheme was designed from the beginning to create a loosely regulated huge pool of money with many loopholes so that the corruption would be enabled.

The Tom Yam Goong crisis, on the other hand was the result of Thailand not having enough money to support the USD peg and the country was forced to float the baht.

The former was purely the work of domestic political policy while the latter was the result of international financiers betting billions that Thailand would no longer be able to support the fixed exchange rate.

Apples and Oranges...

Pattayaorganic, think youtoo quick on the trigger and don't understand what Fab is referring to. He is talking about the disposal of assets after the financial crisis at rock bottom prices and totally lack of transparency. I will add that selective judgement is the real crime here.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well of course it did, I mean the governments decision to liberalise the financial sector, allowing unregulated offshore borrowing, the subsequent 430 Billion baht spent attempting to rescue finance companies depositors, creditors and investors which was ultimately wasted, and basically the whole financial crisis of 1997 just pales into insignificance when compared to the previous governments Rice Subsidy Scheme. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Though your response was clearly meant as sarcastic, still nice to hear a PTP spin doctor fan boy state the truth for once.....

Bit of a disaster if her team does successfully defend her. But only fair to give them a chance.

It would be a disaster indeed for the country as it would show all politicians that they would not be held accountable for any damage they cause the country or the people through any action or lack of action on their part.

As she said herself, she was only the supervisor so she could not be held accountable for a lack of supervision. I wonder if she knows the meaning of the word ?

"It would be a disaster indeed for the country as it would show all politicians that they would not be held accountable for any damage they cause the country or the people through any action or lack of action on their part."

I look forward to you using that argument in the, ahem, "forthcoming" abhisit and suthep trial..............

And what a load of crap !

Lawyers are paid to lie... He's already started...

Some lawyers, like the OP's Shinawatra Pastry Box Bribery Lawyer Pichit, try to pay others, like court judges, to accept their lies, but fail.

Honestly, why Yingluck continues to employ such proven liars, cheats, and bribers like the disgraced and jailed Pichit defies logic.

Perhaps she continues to hire those proven liars, cheats and bribers because she needs exactly those qualities from her lawyers

True that they reflect the qualities of their employer.

Pichit knows how to grease the wheels of the Judiciary? or he thought he knew?

He must be good? I wouldn't use a guy like this.

Pichit was convicted for contempt of court and served six months in jail following the discovery that he and two associates left a bag of pastries containing Bt2 million in cash for officials at the Supreme Court.

Three members of the legal time for ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were ordered to prison for six months without appeal on Wednesday for their part in the snack-box bribe attempt at the Supreme Court.

Lead lawyer Pichit Chuenban, legal assistant Supasri Srisawat and the coordinator of the legal team Thana Tansiri were found guilty by a panel of three judges of contempt of court in the precincts of the court.

Each was given a six-month jail term. http://breakfornews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4481

For the life of me, I can not understand why and how this so called attorney didn't have his law license to practice law in Thailand revoked after he was convicted and sentenced. Only in Thailand, I guess. Amazing Thailand.

For the life of me I cant understand why anyone with the funds available to engage almost any lawyer on the planet would pay good money to be represented by a convicted criminal still practising as a lawyer. blink.png

Has to be Thainess ......its the only reason I can come up with facepalm.gif

It's not Thainess...It's Shinawatraness.

They prefer hoods, liars, and thieves... Just like when they reinstalled the proven fraudsters of formerly banned Thai Rak Thai politicians into Pheu Thai when their banishment ended.

:bah:

From 2006

General news >> Saturday September 23, 2006 COUP AFTERMATH

Future looks bright after the coup, say astrologers

APINYA WIPATAYOTIN

Thailand will enjoy a brighter future and greater political stability in the aftermath of the coup while ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra will have to take refuge overseas for a long time, astrologers say.

Speaking for the first time after Tuesday night's coup, leading fortune-tellers shared optimistic views about the destiny of the country under the military junta.

Kitti Chaikijpinyo, of the Astrological Association, said from now on Thailand will enjoy substantial political and economic development because Saturn, Rahu and Jupiter have been moving into the right position, which would bring luck to the country.

Regarding the future of the ousted premier, he said, Mr Thaksin would not return to the political arena again.

''His zodiac can't get along with the country's star,'' said Mr Kitti. ''If he manages to make a comeback, he will be jolted by a similar crisis.''

Another astrologer who declined to be named, said everything was back on the right track after the coup d'etat.

''People will enjoy political stability and a healthy economy,'' he said.

The abrupt change of the political situation might be influenced by the recent demotion of Pluto's status from a planet to a dwarf planet, he said.

He agreed with Mr Kitti's prediction that Mr Thaksin would not come to power again.

However, the president of the Astrological Association, Pinyo Pongcharoen, thinks differently.

Stars told him that political conflict would drag on for at least another four years and would reach a peak in 2010, when another major political change would take place.

''I can't say whether it will be another coup d'etat in that year,'' he said.

But Mr Pinyo added that Mr Thaksin would not return to Thailand soon.

Astrologers have gained much credibility as many had predicted months earlier that the country would face a major political change in September, possibly through a military coup.

However, many of them refused to make a prediction on the country's future for fear that their star readings might be regarded as criticism of the Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy (CDRM).

Kijja Taweekulkij states on his fortune-telling website that he will stop forecasting the political situation for a while as the country was under the coup's rules.

''However, I can assure you that a group of people who destroyed the country will be heavily punished,'' he said.

I find that very reassuring now that the astrologers have pronounced, I will be able to sleep much better after reading that.

Lawyers are paid to lie... He's already started...

Some lawyers, like the OP's Shinawatra Pastry Box Bribery Lawyer Pichit, try to pay others, like court judges, to accept their lies, but fail.

Honestly, why Yingluck continues to employ such proven liars, cheats, and bribers like the disgraced and jailed Pichit defies logic.

Because she's one her self !! Runs in her family.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The authority of the NACC came from Articles 246-251 of the 2007 Constitution that was suspended by the Junta in its entirey except for Article 2 with the King as Head of State. So it would seem NACC would have to discontinue its operations until re-institutionalized. But obviously the Junta has allowed NACC to continue to operate, albeit through authority of martial law. Therein lies a seemingly interesting situation - the NACC operates under the auspices of the Junta.

Can it still be said then that the NACC is truly an independent agency that operates without political or personal bias? One of the Junta's stated objectives is to nuetralize the leadership of the Pheu Thai Party so that it can never mount any significant political opposition to threaten the Junta's reforms through any future electoral process. The destruction of former PM Yingluck's political career would follow as a natural consequence of such a goal. With what might be a literal "gun to their heads," would any member of the NACC deliver anything other than a finding of guilt against Yingluck? NACC's unanimous 7:0 ruling may be telling.

One might argue that the NACC would have reached the same unanimous decision even in absence of the military coup or "intervention" such that operating under martial law had no affect on its ruling. That is pure political conjecture. As NCPO points out in its national reconcliation policy, one must look to facts and not to political ideology in making judgements (I am paraphrasing). Then fact is the ruling came after overthrow of the Yingluck regime.

There is another curious situation involving NACC's independent rulemaking ability in general. The Junta did retain the Penal Code in its entirety and one might expect the NACC to use the penal code as its guide for identifying and investigating alleged criminal acts against the State. Article 113 states "Whoever, commits an act of violence or threatens to commit an act of violence in order to :

1. Overthrow or change the Constitution;

2. Overthrow the legislative power, the executive power or the judicial power of the Constitution, or nullify such power; or

3. Separate the Kingdom or seize the power of administration in any part of the Kingdom, is said to commit insurrection, and shall be punished with death or imprisonment for life."

Would the NACC dare to bite the hand that feeds it? If it were truly independent without political or personal bias, it would.

Good clear post Rick.

There was a report I saw in one of the papers that the NACC went back to the NCPO for approval before they handed down their decision.

The junta is running a Chinese style doctrine of propaganda; discredit your opposition. All has been lost on other court cases:what about Suthep and Abhisit?

xofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3.pn Do you have any links to prove any of what you said?

Chalad files lawsuit against Prayuth, junta

Read about it here: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Chalad-files-lawsuit-against-Prayuth-junta-30235890.html

The lawsuit was dismissed with the following declaration:

"The carried forward lawsuit offense to be an offense in relation to national security and therefore a direct offense against the state; so only the state alone is entitled to make such a claim. Even when the plaintiff Chalad has argued so that since the imposition of martial law and the military coup his rights and freedom were limited, in accordance with § 2 (4) he is not the injured party."

The court therefore did not say that the evidence adduced by Chalad action points are unfounded. It merely pointed out that only the state in respect of an offense against national security would have the authority to file such an action.

All this ferver in the past few days. Even a press conference from YL claiming she will return from her trip. When someone goes out of their way so much it usuallly means they are worried and have a hidden agenda. How they can let YL leave is beyond me but maybe they are secretly hoping she doesnt return. This case is only one of very many amd probably cost this country more money and shame than all the other cases will.

Lawyers are paid to say im innocent and can win this case. If they didnt they would not keep their clients. The NACC did make a decision quickly but with overwhelming evidence it makes sense they got a unanimous decision. The NACC must also have enough figures back from the people who checked the rice stocks also to come up with their figures of 500 billion in losses. YL is fortunate if they can not link any of those losses to her however, this case is not about her profitting from that scheme. It will be pretty hard for her lawyers to show she was competent and not derelict in her duties to prevent so much corruption especially since it is common knowledge that she almost never attended meetings as chairperson.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe she should call Mr. Obama for some advice ?