Post Restante in BKK

finy

Does anyone know a reliable post office in BKK where I can use post restante?

I'm in Samui now, but won't have time to get anything delivered so can pick up from BKK.

I'll be staying in Khao San Road area, but will be in and around Silom/Lumphini/MBK area while there so would prefer to use a big established post office used to dealing with such matters.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Wow, haven't heard the term post restante in years!!

Back in the day this was how you'd receive mail if you were traveling. Everyone tended to use the main central post office in BKK down Chearon Krung Road. A short ride on the Chao Praya ferry (or walk if you feel like it) ... I assume it's still there and they still do it

Usually was just your name, Central Post Office ... then official address, which escapes me but can probably google

I used it in the old Phra Khanong P.O. about 6 years ago...they had a "Post Restante" window. Now a new PO, just about 100 meters from the Phra Khanong BTS. I have not seen a special window for it there.

Why don't you check this:

www.thailandpost.com There is an English icon on the right side a bit down the page.

• Like 1

Had a quick google and found this:

http://www.thailande.free.fr/en/postage.php

Address of post office in Charoen Krung Road is there, 'Central Post Office'

Google also brings up the Lonely Planet forums (I expect that lot do it all the time) and it's suggested:

<YOUR NAME>
c/o Poste Restante
General Post Office
1156 Charoen Krung Rd. (New Road)
Bangkok 10500 THAILAND

Now that rings a bell so I'd go with that. No risk ... I mean, that is the address of the post office

If you can get a phone number maybe try to call or ask in the post office in Samui for BKK address but that looks like it, to me

• Like 1

that main PO was closed long time for extensive renovation, i think it has now been reopened, but partly as shopping. There must have been a temp. annex. It look spretty nice outside, like yet another renovated old-style monument.

There are 2 PO's right next to Khaosarn-just READ that old faithful, the guidebook. The main one handels also parcels etc and as it has the same old staff they must be pretty well used to stray farang bekpek-types. Its on a SUBsoi off Ratchdamnern, alley besidee BurgerKig-right, east end of KSR. Post code for the area is 10200

• Like 1