Lawyers Council slams the 'needless' parading of criminal suspects by police

Lite Beer

Obviously forced apologies are deeply wrong and meaningless. If someone wants to apologize that is a different thing. Although the families of victims may wish to have nothing to do with these apologies and are victimized once again to endure it.

Reenactments are strange and mostly just a PR stunt for the BIB. These are certainly a waste of time and resources, not to mention another opportunity for a forced confession or assault on a potentially innocent defendant.

We could add to the list the photos in the paper of people pointing at the accused, and having their personal information published despite the fact that their guilt has not yet been determined.

Reenactments can also be a very handy tool to "bend" the evidence around the confession.

• Like 1

One of my all time favourite reenactments was the guy dressed as a cop who stopped women on lonely roads and raped them.

I'll never get the Thainess...

The best one I saw was the guy - with a silly grin on his face - humping a doll as a reenactment of a rape. No police in that one - probably rolling around laughing.

But the 'practice' is not really laughable. It is a blot on the Thai legal system by attempting to show guilt before trial.

One of my all time favourite reenactments was the guy dressed as a cop who stopped women on lonely roads and raped them.

Is this Thainess?

Is every little thing a Thai does Thainess?

What is Farangness?

oh god here we go...with the lawyers and rights,the things that have ruined the west....''oh god my coffee is too hot,i think i will sue''...f*&k me..next it will be..''i cant see my tv from my cell....

Good riddance...to this archaic way of doing police work...police should find other ways to get attention...like arresting lawbreakers and not setting up road blocks to obtain tea money...

I will add that in my own opinion.

The VAST MAJORITY of people whom this affects (probably north of 90%) are in fact thieves, rapists, terrorists and murderers.

These people are a cancer on society, and once they choose their path that they travel, they should not be considered for human rights. They don't consider the rights of their victims, so why should they have extra consideration from society?

I agree that victims and relatives should not be forced to face these criminals, but I would say that those who do not wish to is again a very small minority, and I doubt they are forced to attend. I think you will find that they are not forced.

I really wish you to get accused wrong by thai police of a crime and then you try to show innocents and may be then you will be remember your post here,

everybody has the right to a fair trail and a decent treatment, this right is not for protect the guilty people but all the innocent ones!

• Like 2

" But all fives were eventually acquitted, ..... The only survivor is barely able to walk after sustaining a spinal injury in a prison attack.

During his wrongful sentence, his wife reportedlyl died of stress, one of his daughters was raped and killed and one of his sons went missing. The case was reopened in 1995, leading to the conviction of the real murderers"

Crikey! Talk about a string of bad luck. Wrongfully imprisoned, crippled while there, lost wife and 2 children.

I just have to believe he was a bad dude anyway and that's why he was originally arrested.

'I just have to believe he was a bad dude anyway and that's why he was originally arrested.'

Huh ? Am I really reading this ? ohmy.png

Is this Thainess?

Is every little thing a Thai does Thainess?

What is Farangness?

His name is the answer, Travel2003

The whole idea is nothing about an apology to make the victims or relatives of the victims feel better. It is nothing to do with helping the alleged criminal either. It is PURELY propaganda for a mostly hapless and inept police force who are decades behind good police practices and are too lazy and ignorant to be bother to make themselves better. It is a disgrace.

Not too many years ago, credible NGOs and human rights lawyers estimated, conservatively, that 50% of inmates were innocent of the crimes to which they had been convicted. No one came out to dispute this frightening figure. But I remember that by way of explanation, a leading figure (a govt minister, if memory serves) said something like "it was karma because they are usually guilty of something anyway." Jesus wept.

What is annoying in some of the posts here is that some people condone police procedure in arrests, and yet seriously believe that any attempt to oppose it is PC gone mad! Sorry, you clots, but that is an "alai wah?" moment. Nothing to do with PC. Regardless of whether Khun Odt is a lowlife with a history of crimes, the bottom line is and always must be, innocent till proven guilty. That's not bloody PC - it's common flipping sense, and an extremely important CHECK AND BALANCE. Finger pointing, re-enactments, apologies are a disgrace.

Stop all the re-enactments and photo shoots, and just do the job that is required of you.

Your self self gratification is economically very expensive, and does nothing at all for the image that Thai Police have around the world

Just do the job and lower the crime rates, this will be felt by the people, and there is no need to only show on tv who you caught with no real changes to crime, only to make it look so.

And showing suspects is the worse you can do of course.

What is wrong with innocent until proven guilty as opposed to guilty even when proven innocent... You never shake of the prejudice after being shown on tv and newspapers.

Edited by myluckythai