Thai bankbook as proof of funds when entering?

I once entered Thailand with only a one way ticket (fly in) as i wanted to leave by overland border then fly out from another country and many questions were asked, i lobbed out my wads of cash, my credit card and was let in,, i recommend changing your currency at the airport (at Bangkok) because there are many currency booths there open 24/7 and the exchange rates are good and there are NO FEES so dump the airport fees in your country, it's immoral as they make loads of money anyway, change overseas instead.

BKK exchange rates are horrible. The ONLY booth applying almost normal rates is Kasikorn by the train station.

If your staying in Lae Krabang before you move on the Paseo Mall has a great exchange rate http://www.yjpattayaexchange.com/index.html Paseo Mall .If you don't have bht and you need to taxi ,train or bus out of the airport buy $50 worth .Once you settle in then exchange big money.Oh Thai banks like clean money notes, ie no stamps, pen writings, excessive folds and all four corners

I seen it written here many times recently that the recommended amount of cash to carry with you is 10,000 or 20,000 Baht,..hardly Fort Knox....is it?.....

No it isn't, but there are many days that I don't carry it in my wallet. Suppose I would start a new thread saying I was robbed carrying 20,000bht in my wallet. Many of you would say how stupid I am to carry this amount of cash, am I right?

As far as I know, if asked for sufficient funds this would qualify

- sufficient cash in Thai Baht or another regional or main currency.

- major credit cards are accepted as proof as well if you don't come to the specified amount. Not sure which ones but I would assume Visa and Mastercard, maybe American Express....

I seen it written here many times recently that the recommended amount of cash to carry with you is 10,000 or 20,000 Baht,..hardly Fort Knox....is it?.....

No it isn't, but there are many days that I don't carry it in my wallet. Suppose I would start a new thread saying I was robbed carrying 20,000bht in my wallet. Many of you would say how stupid I am to carry this amount of cash, am I right?

Nah. You'd be ridiculed for getting robbed. The amount just adds flavor to the "discussion". Tough audience here.

It is kind of an interesting thought- If everyone crossing the border has to have 20,000 cash money on them, where do ya figure the bad guys would hang out???

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Actually below visas require financial proof - although not all Consulates will ask to see they can and so can immigration on arrival

For transit visa - Evidence of adequate finance (10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family)

For tourist or non immigrant visa - Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

Just for general information I looked at the Tokyo embassy page, they are tougher than most and they don't list any financial proof for the Non-O (they do for a TV), so it seems that MFA requirements are often not implemented

Non-immigrant-O (spouse / dependent of Thai Citizen)

31 AUGUST 2012

VISA APPOINTMENT BOOKING ONLINE

Non-immigrant-O (spouse / dependent of Thai Citizen)

- Applicant must apply in person.

- Fee for Non-immigrant-O: single entry 9,000 Yen and multiple entry 22,000 Yen.

Documents required are as follow:

1. Valid passport. (valid for no less than 6 months)

2. Application form duly filled in and signed by the applicant.

Application form can be downloaded here. [PDF]

- Form available on this page can be filled out.

- Please enter the information requested into the appropriate spaces on the form. Your answer must be in English and use English capital characters.

- The Embassy recommends you use an ink-jet printer to print the completed application form. However, the written application form is accepted but it may cause delay during the visa application process at counter.

3. Two (2) color photos of applicant (size 3.5 x 4.5 cm.)

Except:

**Three (3) color photos and three (3) copies of application forms duly filled and signed for applicants holding passports of Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, Palestinian State, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

**Four (4) color photos and four (4) copies of application forms duly filled and signed for applicants holding passport of Nigeria.

4. For non-Japanese applicant, a copy of resident card or certificate of alien registration. The applicant is also required to present the original documents of identification upon visa application.

5. Airline ticket or confirmation slip with applicants name, flight number as well as date of entry and departure.

6. Personal history duly filled in and signed by the applicant.

Personal history form can be downloaded here. [PDF]

7. A copy of Thai identity card and passport of Thai spouse or dependent.

8. A copy of marriage certificate of the spouse or birth certificate of the dependent and a copy of household registration issued by the competent authority of Thailand.

9. For applicant who registered marriage to a Thai citizen in a foreign country, a copy of certificate of marriage issued by competent authority of that country, certified by notary public / competent authority, must be submitted upon visa application.

10. For applicant who registered marriage to a Thai citizen in Japan, an original household registration documents (kosekitohon) issued within three (3) months must be submitted.

11. An original guarantee letter duly signed by a guarantor together with a copy of guarantors passport or driving license certified by the guarantor.

**A guarantor must be twenty (20) years of age or older, legally residing in Japan, must be able to confirm aspects of applicants personal attributes such as name, age, physical description and some personal information and must be available to be contacted by the Embassy.

A guarantee letter form can be downloaded here. [PDF]

12. The Embassy may require documents in foreign language to be translated into Thai or English. Such documents must also be certified by competent authority of Japan or country where the documents are issued.

VISA APPOINTMENT BOOKING ONLINE