Thailand's unrest puts dent in tourism

webfact

Thailand's unrest puts dent in tourism

BANGKOK: -- Political instability has hardly affected the image of the holiday paradise of Thailand. But while the military protects the all-important industry, the country has missed its ambitious growth targets for 2014.

"We planned our trip on Monday (14.07.2014). I happened to get an extra week's vacation and we thought we could travel farther away," Jürgen told DW's reporter at Düsseldorf airport. His companion Daniela and he had spontaneously decided to go to Thailand.

And while they are well aware of the months-long political crisis that has killed 28 people and injured hundreds, they are not worried. "We looked at the foreign ministry website and there was no travel warning."

The Haas family from the Netherlands was also on its way to Thailand from Düsseldorf, where it was waiting for a connecting flight. The family, too, was not worried about the political situation.

The protests were limited Bangkok and like most tourists, the four family members were headed for the islands in the south.
Stable tourism?

These anecdotal examples appear to confirm Tourism Authority of Thailand statistics. After a slight decline in the number of visitors from Europe at the height of the crisis in early 2014, they are now even 5 percent higher than last year. However, if not just Europe but the whole world is taken into account, there is a decline of just over 10 percent.

Full story: http://www.dw.de/thailands-unrest-puts-dent-in-tourism/a-17797311

-- DW 2014-07-21

were they interviewing people at the airport ready to embark on a flight to thailand? what does that tell us that people booked on a flight to thailand really are going to thailand, amazing!

• Like 2

With the current visa clampdown turmoil and the resulting mass exodus, will we see a negative rate for July? laugh.png

It will soon be revealed if, as suspected for many years, the tourist arrival numbers have included border runners.

Not many border runners and no mass exodus. Have you read the stories on ThaiVisa? They are usually about a few people being denied entry. In some cases tehy are told they can still come if the fly in. So not affecting many people. Many border runners can just change to a long-term visa. Many border runners are eligible for visas but can't be bothered to apply for them.

were they interviewing people at the airport ready to embark on a flight to thailand? what does that tell us that people booked on a flight to thailand really are going to thailand, amazing!

They might not be coming to Thailand. They could be flying on to another country.

Arrived at Don Muang last Friday. Two Turkish guys were carted off from the Immigration Booths by officers for some reason. Directly after them were two youngish looking fellows in typical tourist beach wear. Immigration dude asked the first why he was coming to Thailand. he replied as a tourist. The Immigration dude replied "Everything month?"... and then proceeded to cross examine him. I had passed through before it was over, so I am not sure their fate. i didn't see the again at the baggage claim or customs etc. Either way, things have definitely changed.

With the current visa clampdown turmoil and the resulting mass exodus, will we see a negative rate for July? laugh.png

It will soon be revealed if, as suspected for many years, the tourist arrival numbers have included border runners.

Not many border runners and no mass exodus. Have you read the stories on ThaiVisa? They are usually about a few people being denied entry. In some cases tehy are told they can still come if the fly in. So not affecting many people. Many border runners can just change to a long-term visa. Many border runners are eligible for visas but can't be bothered to apply for them.

Ahem, my point was there will be fewer border runners, your point reconfirms that.

It was in jest anyway so no need for the explanation which is incorrect anyway as the true effect will only start to be apparent after August 12.

I don't know which website the travellers were quoting but I'm guessing by their names and airport of departure they're German. Germany does have a travel warning / advisory. It is warning it's citizens to exercise caution in Thailand by closely monitoring the situation and avoid protest sites. (not there are any now of course)

The current visa crack down, is the enforcement of the law, and elimination corruption within the police. It has been reported that some of the companies doing visa runs and owned by police, politiciand and influential persons..

It was in jest anyway so no need for the explanation which is incorrect anyway as the true effect will only start to be apparent after August 12.

Why do I keep seeing this 'August 12th'. Seems somewhat arbitrary a date. Oh wait! dry.png

Relating to the story ....... there does seem (in my area) to be noticeably more tourists at the moment; maybe just European school holidays or the cheaper flights attracting people?

In your area? Aren't you in Korat? Many tourists in Korat are there?

Many border runners are eligible for visas but can't be bothered to apply for them.

It's certainly good to read that certain people who couldn't be arsed to get a proper visa and do a yearly extension have finally been forced to do things the way the rest of the folks wishing to reside in Thailand do.thumbsup.gif

Christ I'm getting sick of these sycophantic sanctimonious posts. I had a friend who'd lived in Thailand for thirty years and married all that time. He'd never enough money to afford the 400k each and every year. They ran a smalll business to sustain themselves and there was little money left over, despite his wife working a second job cleaning. He'd had to 'visa run' every 90 days all that time. He shot himself shortly after his wife died a few years ago. What would you have said to him? And BTW, what the hell has it to do with any of you?

• Like 2

Many border runners are eligible for visas but can't be bothered to apply for them.

It's certainly good to read that certain people who couldn't be arsed to get a proper visa and do a yearly extension have finally been forced to do things the way the rest of the folks wishing to reside in Thailand do.thumbsup.gif

Christ I'm getting sick of these sycophantic sanctimonious posts. I had a friend who'd lived in Thailand for thirty years and married all that time. He'd never enough money to afford the 400k each and every year. They ran a smalll business to sustain themselves and there was little money left over, despite his wife working a second job cleaning. He'd had to 'visa run' every 90 days all that time. He shot himself shortly after his wife died a few years ago. What would you have said to him? And BTW, what the hell has it to do with any of you?

Oh dear me, I seem to have offended someone's sensibilities.

Nothing sycophantic or sanctimonious at all about my post. Just stating the way things are. A pity your friend met such a sad end. I guess I hit a nerve , sorry.

Sadly, your friend was in a minority, B400,000 is not a fortune and is half the amount required by retirees.

What it has to do with most people is that immigration has a set of rules, which happen to be the law, so some of us are obliged to obey them. Perhaps you choose to do otherwise.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 1

We all know there are people in difficult situations. I was talking about those that can get visas but don't bother. They have the money and there are visas they can get but they just can't be bothered. Your friend was obviously not one of them.

Of Course. I can't imagine another way how they would count a tourist? I think every time somebody form outside enters the Kingdom, i counts as one Tourist who visits Thailand.

I'm also very curious about the newest numbers, espacially after august 12. I would guess if the situation keeps like it is, the numbers will drop for the end of the year by millions.

Edited by AsienExpat

Well, they haven't gone to Philippines and that's a cert. I reckon there're a lot of people taking domestic holidays and staying out of Asia altogether. On a positive (if selfish) note, I quite like not being crowded out of every decent haunt by hoards of westerners. Sorry to those who are not enjoying it but I'm having a great time.

the Russian tourist market looks like it will collapse due to the rouble on the skids and the economy headed downhill and will prolly take the western economies with it back into recession. the russkies have just banned IBM and microsoft products from being sold so the yanks will suffer first ,before any reprisals . the EU is already struggling to get out of recession so any reprisals will hit all concerned

Edited by 3NUMBAS

And, I think, transit passengers at Suvarnabhumi!

the Russian tourist market looks like it will collapse due to the rouble on the skids and the economy headed downhill and will prolly take the western economies with it back into recession. the russkies have just banned IBM and microsoft products from being sold so the yanks will suffer first ,before any reprisals . the EU is already struggling to get out of recession so any reprisals will hit all concerned

"the russkies have just banned IBM and microsoft products from being sold so the yanks will suffer first "

"The State Duma, Russia’s lower house of parliament, is drafting a bill to require government agencies and state-run enterprises to give preference to local providers of software and hardware,"(Jul 21, 2014 8:57)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-21/russia-seeks-to-cut-dependence-on-ibm-microsoft-amid-sanctions.html

Hardly a ban but considering NSA probably having a "back door" on all US software & hardware products I'd be using Russian products in Russia.

re. the Russian economy & tourists ...it's maybe worse than the US or EU economies( which are also very bad) but Russia has a relatively lower unemployment rate than the West... I would think that Thailand is still a good place for Russian tourists to come too...inexpensive,warm climate,beaches...especially if there are no protests..

Again hardly a collapse of the the Russian tourist market to Thailand because of rouble decline.

At xmas time (last xmas) the wife and I had a week in Pooket and it looked like it was business as usual down there. In Pattaya last xmas the high season was lower than the low season before it.

My wife had 3 shops in Pattaya last xmas now she has none! The number of Europeans & Russian visiting has fallen. The number of Chinese may have remained stable or possibly increased but they don't spend a lot of money.

You can't afford to keep staff, pay normal rents and carry a load of stock if your not making money!

BTW, anyone who is interested in 500 'I love Pattaya' T-shirts......I can get you a good deal. thumbsup.gif

You are if course aware there is also a real world outside of Thai visa? And not all people post or are aware of Thai visa?

• Like 1

Oh dear me, I seem to have offended someone's sensibilities.

Nothing sycophantic or sanctimonious at all about my post. Just stating the way things are. A pity your friend met such a sad end. I guess I hit a nerve , sorry.

Sadly, your friend was in a minority, B400,000 is not a fortune and is half the amount required by retirees.

What it has to do with most people is that immigration has a set of rules, which happen to be the law, so some of us are obliged to obey them. Perhaps you choose to do otherwise.

Hope you feel better soon!

And this year's Milgram Award goes to ... bah.gif