Single guys, do you live in a house or a condo?

PHP87

I imagine most live in a condo and I've seen some "serviced" and "semi-serviced" condos in/around CM at reasonable costs.

Any recommendations for condos under 10k BHT per month in/around CM as well as pros and cons?

I'm looking at around 7,500 BHT, not including utilities but will go as high as 10k for the right place if they don't clip you on electricity costs.

Must also be furnished.

Thanks.

Well, you're in Condo City now Dorothy, and the selection is enormous. All these new buildings popping up all around town are no doubt going to be condos/apartments.

I walked around a few, inspected some, almost all are furnished. Some are even offering discounts for a 12 month lease over and above the normally reduced price. Prices drop a bit the further you're but of the city, but 9k - 10K is reasonable for around 38m, with pool, parking, security.

• Like 1

Well, you're in Condo City now Dorothy, and the selection is enormous. All these new buildings popping up all around town are no doubt going to be condos/apartments.

I walked around a few, inspected some, almost all are furnished. Some are even offering discounts for a 12 month lease over and above the normally reduced price. Prices drop a bit the further you're but of the city, but 9k - 10K is reasonable for around 38m, with pool, parking, security.

So I would imagine it's a "buyer's" market or should I say, a renter's market in CM?

I'm all alone, but could bring in a friend. A rented room, all i need. Well, cooking the food i like is not so easy on the microwave tray but i manage. I live half a click from the KSK Mall, and MAYA is near too. Have TV and free internet cable, air con, big refrig, very quiet, look out on trees and mountain tops and paying only 4K baht plus small utility bill each month. Can come and go, no security headaches as guard or staff always here.

• Like 1

When I was between house and condo..I just did the hotels. Lots of promos. No deposits. If anything doesn't work, they can move you in 10 minutes. Seems to be a lot more thievery at the backpacker guesthouses. Instead of going on the cheap and paying 250 at a guesthouse, pay 350 and get a real hotel....no utility bills, good security, cctv....By the time you pay 2 months deposit, 8 thb for electric, cleaning fee, internet fee.....it works out to about the same 10K, with a lot less flexibility. My two favorites are New Mitrapap and RCN Travel Court....a few too many circus pants at the travel court, but it has big rooms, good internet, and they are there 24/7. Some of the guesthouses, they will have to start calling around to find the manager at times.

Edited by Thighlander
  • Like 1

Paying 5k a month for a spacious house in pa daet, landlady lives up the road and keeps coming around and giving me things like computer desks, fans, fruit from the garden ect, very nice person

Found it by going to chiangmai properties and looking at another house, agent was kind enough to show me this one because he lived nearby and knew the person

Also was looking at a 2200/month shoebox in a nice leafy quiet area near festival plaza, very nice landlady, zero english but knew the reception girl in my hotel

I think it really pays to get to know a few locals here, once they know your on the search for a place, suddenly you find you got quite a few decent priced options, hotel lady was even offering me to stay in the hotel for 4k/month serviced every 5 days (chang moi) but decided i needed space

• Like 1

I prefer a house, plenty for rent in the 4k-7k per month range.

Condos near KSK Mall, in the soi opposite petrol station and beyond, 3k a month and up, no tv or fridge, but usually have aircon.

Really......who would want to live there. Living like a tramp,better to go home dont you think and back to a welfare cheque.

• Like 1

I prefer a house, plenty for rent in the 4k-7k per month range.

Condos near KSK Mall, in the soi opposite petrol station and beyond, 3k a month and up, no tv or fridge, but usually have aircon.

Really......who would want to live there. Living like a tramp,better to go home dont you think and back to a welfare cheque.

I don't live there, I have a house and home loan in the burbs.

But some friends of mine live around there, nice balcony with view of Doi Suthep.

Quiet sois, not too many white foreigners around.

They aren't exactly 'living like a tramp'. You can buy your own Tv and fridge.

• Like 2

Anyone familiar with this place: http://www.galarethong.com/photo_gallery.html

A bit outside of the Moat, but they only charge 5 BHT per kw for electric and you have a nice selection of room types and pricing.

It's basically a semi-serviced apt/hotel.

This is more in line with the type of place I'm looking for.

------

I lived there in 2011 and liked it. I think about 8000 Baht (studio)....nice room....decent TV and Internet. The only caveat was when the flood came. If the car had not been removed quickly it would have been underwater in the downstairs parking lot. Nice management and it did have a restaurant downstairs. I don't know about now?

• Like 1

A bit outside of the Moat, but they only charge 5 BHT per kw for electric and you have a nice selection of room types and pricing.

------

I lived there in 2011 and liked it. I think about 8000 Baht (studio)....nice room....decent TV and Internet. The only caveat was when the flood came. If the car had not been removed quickly it would have been underwater in the downstairs parking lot. Nice management and it did have a restaurant downstairs. I don't know about now?

I also checked out a new condo, but parking was in the basement. Flooding is a rarity, but once is too often IMHO. I chose another condo with more features and upstairs parking.

• Like 1

I ended up rent a room at a place in Nimman area. It was an art center for kids on the weekend, but 90% of the time I had a whole townhouse to myself for next to nothing.

Before that I found cheap 2 room bungalows out in Umong area.

When I was together with my Ex we had a 4 story town house inside the old city which doubled as a tutoring center for us.

For me, when I am single I want a place with little to no maintenance, because I am more likely to spend my weekends and holidays out and about.

When in a relationship I prefer a 'home', something with a yard for a dog etc etc

For your price range, I see townhouses for rent. 7-10k

Look around the Suan Dok, Suthep, Jet yod, Wat ket, and Hang Dong areas. These are close enough to town, but offer great selection. DDproperty was a good indicator of cost, but often they forget to take down already rented units.

• Like 1

I ended up rent a room at a place in Nimman area. It was an art center for kids on the weekend, but 90% of the time I had a whole townhouse to myself for next to nothing.

When I was together with my Ex we had a 4 story town house inside the old city which doubled as a tutoring center for us.

For me, when I am single I want a place with little to no maintenance, because I am more likely to spend my weekends and holidays out and about.

When in a relationship I prefer a 'home', something with a yard for a dog etc etc

Look around the Suan Dok, Suthep, Jet yod, Wat ket, and Hang Dong areas. These are close enough to town, but offer great selection. DDproperty was a good indicator of cost, but often they forget to take down already rented units.

Thanks for the DD Property reference - lot's of listings that I haven't seen on other sites.

BTW, doesn't the Suthep area suffer from airport noise?

The airport noise is minimal at Suthep. I believe the planes come in low over Hang Dong before landing. Anyways, flights are few and far inbetween. I am staying at Living Hills Condo, between Suthep and the Airport. I cannot really recommend this place...it is a very nice large room, but not suitable for cooking. Niemenhammen is about ten minutes away.

We just rented a house for 5000 a month (unfurnished) in SanSai. I much prefer that area. It is 4 bedrooms, maid quarters, 3 bathrooms inside and one outside. Unbelievable. Just needs some TLC...touch ups. Only one month deposit down and first months rent. We moved in for 10,000. Furniture is coming from Udon Thani next week (on a flatbed truck). 5000 baht gas for the truck and 5000 driver/laborer.

Very happy. I recommend you look for a furnished home in SanSai...not far from Raum Chak Market...in the small villages located between 1001 and 118... We are very close to Tesco Lotus, Raum Chak, Central Festival Mall.

Saw some furnished houses for 8500...and unfurnished for less. Renters Market....make your own deal

• Like 1

The airport noise is minimal at Suthep. I believe the planes come in low over Hang Dong before landing. Anyways, flights are few and far inbetween. I am staying at Living Hills Condo, between Suthep and the Airport. I cannot really recommend this place...it is a very nice large room, but not suitable for cooking. Niemenhammen is about ten minutes away.

We just rented a house for 5000 a month (unfurnished) in SanSai. I much prefer that area. It is 4 bedrooms, maid quarters, 3 bathrooms inside and one outside. Unbelievable. Just needs some TLC...touch ups. Only one month deposit down and first months rent. We moved in for 10,000. Furniture is coming from Udon Thani next week (on a flatbed truck). 5000 baht gas for the truck and 5000 driver/laborer.

Very happy. I recommend you look for a furnished home in SanSai...not far from Raum Chak Market...in the small villages located between 1001 and 118... We are very close to Tesco Lotus, Raum Chak, Central Festival Mall.

Saw some furnished houses for 8500...and unfurnished for less. Renters Market....make your own deal

The poster asked about single guys and where to live.

You kept saying WE so you really didn't address his needs

Thanks for the DD Property reference - lot's of listings that I haven't seen on other sites.

Looking at the furniture in their pictures, I don't think they rent to anyone over 5' tall.

Why do owners usually stick the TV at the foot of the bed, terrible way to watch TV?

Too tight to buy a decent sized chair or couch so the TV can be viewed from comfortable seating?

Lots of other things to do in bed.

Gripe over. wink.png

Edited by uptheos

Almost all my time in Thailand has been in the Bangkok metro area. Always liked the big city vibe and city services. Never had a real desire to go north, until now. Those prices are a third of those in Bkk. I'll have to check the services in CM.

Car or no car?....that is the question. If you are going to come into town more than one night per week.....tuk-tuk fares will add up quickly, and even if you have a car....how many beers will you have consumed? For those that drive motorbikes and live more than 10 km from town....there is about a 30% chance you will be in a crash your first year. I like city living a lot better....crossing one or two busy streets per day is bad enough.....can't imagine doing commutes to the exurbs. The dog problems can be horrible in the outer moobaans.....dog care is another area where the Thais score lower than the Africans.

• Like 1

The poster asked about single guys and where to live.

You kept saying WE so you really didn't address his needs

Ok. How many points do I lose for that?

Single guys can live in a house or a condo..up to them. I gave him examples of both.

As far as his needs....up to him. I cannot speak about what a single guy is after. If he is after the Loi Kroa type place, tourist place, inexpensive area that still has amenities...etc. etc.

Lots of friendly locals nearby where I live. A single man might do well.

• Like 1

Stayed there for a month. Location is ok some good restaurants in the area. but not to convenient to old city if you like to walk. There is a karaoke bar that goes all night so I suggest the Sutep side if you want to sleep. The guy and his wife I rent ed from were jerks had a number of problems an like leaks coming from the ceiling. wasps nest by the balcony the size of a beach ball, and some lesser items got no response when I called them.PM me for more details about this particular landlord. It's a nice place good laundry, nice little cafe, clean, dead end so not a lot of traffic. I would consider Smith residences oposite south gate of old city. If it is long term there are lots of places you have to know which part of town you like best.

• Like 1

Stayed there for a month. Location is ok some good restaurants in the area. but not to convenient to old city if you like to walk. There is a karaoke bar that goes all night so I suggest the Sutep side if you want to sleep. The guy and his wife I rent ed from were jerks had a number of problems an like leaks coming from the ceiling. wasps nest by the balcony the size of a beach ball, and some lesser items got no response when I called them.PM me for more details about this particular landlord. It's a nice place good laundry, nice little cafe, clean, dead end so not a lot of traffic. I would consider Smith residences oposite south gate of old city. If it is long term there are lots of places you have to know which part of town you like best.

Smith residence might be a great idea. I was not able to book a place there 3 years ago, as it is extremely popular, and many young tourists stay there. Great location.. I think there is a small gym and pool on top. Might be exciting for you.

The challenge really is in staying single. So might as well plan for something with more space than a shoebox, or you'll go mental.

I say get a shoebox and keep it as your man cave, and also rent a house if you get married. You can always retreat to your man cave when the breakup occurs.

• Like 2

PHP87, on 22 Jul 2014 - 03:58, said:
BlackArtemis, on 21 Jul 2014 - 23:53, said:

Poolprop is another site to look at.

The challenge really is in staying single. So might as well plan for something with more space than a shoebox, or you'll go mental.

I say get a shoebox and keep it as your man cave, and also rent a house if you get married. You can always retreat to your man cave when the breakup occurs.

Man caves are good. Get something small and secure. Nobody enters the building without a call to you. Never bring a girl to your man cave. Get a nice safe that is hard to move and chain it to some post or something. At the very least...hide it. Once a girl enters your man cave....even once....it becomes the girl's cave. Keep all your sim cards, valuable documents, and laptop (keep the real one that you surf the dating sites in the man cave, and a generic one for her to play around on. Since they write in thai, the best you can do is get one of those free programs, like tinCam, that take a snapshot of the screen automatically when she is on it and you are away. Just to get the edge.