"Your desktop version of Skype is being retired"

MikeWill

Update your desktop version of Skype

We are now retiring older versions of Skype and it appears that you’re currently using one of these. To continue signing into Skype on your desktop you'll need to download to the latest version. The new version comes with improved performance and the latest features and security updates, so you'll get the best possible Skype experience.

Did you get such an email?

From what I'v read, it's legitimately Microsoft being Microsoft.

Just got this email. Is it a scam?  --  community.skype.com

Conejeto -- posted 21-07-2014

The newer version is all about ads that will appear in the chat windows.  I know because a month ago I had an automatic update of Skype and that was the only thing new and improved about it; so I immediately took the advice of other users and returned to my previous version of Skype.  Now the commorades are forcing everyone to take the updated version by deactivating the previous NON-comercial version.  This is like taping my eyelids opened forcing me to look at ads.  I resent this as I resented losing Microsoft Instant messenger. 

Re: Is this a Fraud under the SKYPE name and logo... -- community.skype.com

Skype Community Manager -- posted 21-07-2014

This is a valid email coming from Skype. We ask our users to stay in the most up to date versions and it's best to upgrade early than finding yourself not being able to sign in with a year old version one day. Check here to find out how you can update your Skype:  https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34438

Edited by RichCor

Not since I voluntarily ditched Skype for the arcane, bloated crap that MS had turned it into. There are better, faster and more flexible solutions to online messaging these days.

However, if the OP is worrying about being scammed, he needs to tell us what email address this came from and do a mouse-over on any links in the email to see if they will take you to anything related to Skype.

I have checked them and they seem legit.

I got same mail and opened it from.....

[email protected]

the mail was concerning a account (name) I have not use long time password long forgotten ....

No emails concerning my account (name) that I use now and has a balence with, but I only use it with android devise...

looks legit to me, when my balence runs out i will stop skype as the quality sucks and the money you add to your account EXPIRES ...

Fluck that.. 

I'm down to my last 6 Euros in Skype credit, so I suppose I also will just use this up and let it go, at least for overseas calls.  With 009 calls at 2.5 Baht/minute the Skype business case is kind of fading.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the same email - ignored it. I figured if they are updating something, it will show when I open skype

Watch out though - I got cut off mid-call today without warning, a message appearing that said I would not be reconnected till I update. Globally, it's genuine and a lot of people are up in arms about M'soft. Appears they dictate you now have to use the latest version and it will update whether you want or not.

I use Skype with a sub for calling landlines and mobiles worldwide and I use it a lot. I also need to record calls. So alternatives like oovoo won't work for me. Anyone any suggestions as to what might enable me to ditch Skype (which isn't that great anyway...)??

Got the same email - ignored it. I figured if they are updating something, it will show when I open skype

Watch out though - I got cut off mid-call today without warning, a message appearing that said I would not be reconnected till I update. Globally, it's genuine and a lot of people are up in arms about M'soft. Appears they dictate you now have to use the latest version and it will update whether you want or not.

I use Skype with a sub for calling landlines and mobiles worldwide and I use it a lot. I also need to record calls. So alternatives like oovoo won't work for me. Anyone any suggestions as to what might enable me to ditch Skype (which isn't that great anyway...)??

you can use google hangouts Edited by aquaqua

Does Skype allow one to deselect or turn off automatic updating? If it is still an option, then uninstall the version that is crashing or refusing to connect, go to www.filehippo.com and download a previous version. Once installed and running, make sure that you turn off auto-updating or even checking for updates options (if available). I uninstalled mine a few months back because it seems to have become MS bloatware with useless bells and whistles for what it used to do quite handily (and what I think the majority of users still use it for) a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a new message from Skype, I got yesterday..

Update Skype now to improve your experience.

Dear xxxxxxxx,

As a Skype Manager administrator we have important news regarding the versions of Skype your members may be using. We are now in the process of retiring older versions of Skype and any of your members who are using these older versions of Skype may be prevented from signing into Skype. To continue using Skype they will need to download and install the latest version. 

The updated Skype comes with improved performance, the latest features and security updates, so members will get the best possible Skype experience. 

The latest versions of Skype for all supported devices (desktop and mobile) are available at http://www.skype.com/go/download

If your Skype Manager members are already on the latest version of Skype, the above will not apply.
Support For Skype Manager support, see our FAQs

Thank you,

Edited by MikeWill