Is Pattaya a sensible place to holiday right now?

lumply

More precisely the beginning of September is when my g/f and I plan to visit for 6 days. But, with the seemingly negative news about the place on the up in regard to safety, is Pattaya really a good option these days? (Last visit about 2 years ago). Typical holiday profile for us would be to stay in a good central hotel allowing relaxation time, within walking distance of the "action" as onlookers, malls, multiple walks along beach road, day and evenings. Boring maybe but hassle free is key. Too much to ask?

Won't be too busy, Lumply, so you should be absolutely fine. I think the place is probably safer now ( though I'm no fan of the coup). As long as you both take care and don't cover yourselves in jewellery or have your life savings hanging out of your back pocket like some of the halfwits who visit.

It does rain quite a bit in Sept. Varies from year to year but you can pretty much count on a downpour most afternoons for an hour or two. You can usually tell ahead of time so just plan to be somewhere for a couple hours at that time and carry an umbrella. Sometimes it will drizzle rain all day or all night which can put a damper on things but usually that is not the case.

Sept is my favorite time of year in Pattaya. Clouds/rain helps keep things cool. It's low season so you are not treated like just another piece of tourist meat for the sausage grinder like you are at other times of year. Wouldn't recommend that time of year if you are mostly interested in beach activities. You can still do that but have to be flexible with the weather.

As for the stuff you are seeing in the news. Just ignore it. It's business as usual in Pattaya.

Edited by lapd

Pattaya is great as long as you avoid the beer bars, tattooed poms, Germans in black socks and sandals and dudes with their ladyboy dates

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Pattaya is great as long as you avoid the beer bars, tattooed poms, Germans in black socks and sandals and dudes with their ladyboy dates

Is it only Germans in black socks you seem to have a problem with, or all Germans ?

Just asking.

Yermanee

• Like 1

Is it only Germans in black socks you seem to have a problem with, or all Germans ?

Just asking.

Yermanee

He said specifically "Germans in black socks AND sandals"

You'll be alright.

Bloody modepolizei !

As long as you do not take "walks" on the beach at 4-5am and do not go hugging lady boys , you should be fine any time of the year

lol absolutely only hug the men joke,pattaya always a safe option to visit,but why such a short holiday,man after 1 week i got into my head that i gotta stay here it's a wonderful place,enjoy.

Just asking.

Yermanee

I have a problem with everybody. Haven't you read my posts?

• Like 2

Just asking.

Yermanee

No problems with Germans (one of my favourite people) its the black sock brigade, usually worn by the dapper Brits with no fashion sense.

Black sox and flip flops, what can I say, best observed in soi BK.

Socks with sandals are very comfortable and helps keeps the bottom of your feet from sweating. I wear black socks with sandals and pants all the time and the fashion nazi's never even notice. Very comfortable and cool in the evening. Most people don't know what they are missing.

I don't do it with shorts though. Not because of the look but because if it's warm enough to be wearing shorts it's warm enough to not be wearing socks.

Edited by lapd

I walk beach road everyday and I feel safe and nothing has ever happened to me. Then I visit Central Festival and it is a great shopping mall to walk around in. It won't be too busy and it's great holidaying here, you will enjoy yourself.

Thanks Guys. Certainly don't mind a bit of rain after the scorching sun of the M.East. I finished with the bar scene a long time ago but somehow I am drawn to Pattaya, always accompanied; I can hear the groans from here!