Confusion over visas for Thailand/Cambodia visit- help required

Hello all, I'm about to embark on a trip to Thailand, I had looked into Visa regulations but am finding myself worrying that something could go wrong. I would like some help in checking that my journey should be alright please!

I'll be entering Thailand on the morning of the 25th July into Bangkok with a UK passport. My return flight home from Bangkok is on the 31st August. I had planned to get the 30 day Visa on arrival, and during my trip go to Cambodia for roughly 14 days. I had planned to re-enter Thailand with a 14 day land Visa, which should give me time to make my way back to Bangkok and then home.

The things that I have realised may be an issue are as follows - is proof of onward travel likely to be enforced on my initial arrival? Will re-entering the country cause issues... I am aware of the new rules coming into play on the 12th. This poses a problem, as ideally I'd like to be back in the country by then to avoid issues that may arise, however if I arrive back before the 12th then the 14 day land Visa would not cover the time until my flight. Will getting two Visas in a short time span be feasible?

Thank you for any advice given.

First of all, you may be denied boarding because you have no visa, and no return ticket within 30 days.

For this reason alone it would be better if you get a visa, single is fine. Then you come back from Cambodia and will be admitted 30 days (not 14) visa exempt.

If you don't have time to get a visa issued, get a least a printout of an outgoing ticket within 30 days, e.g. you can get a fully refundable ticket to a close destination.

I'm quite worried as I am due to fly out on Thursday this week - I'm guessing not enough time to apply for a Visa, unless it can be bought/collected at Bangkok airport...? Perhaps a printout of an outgoing ticket is a better idea. How stringent are airlines/customs etc with checking? Does anyone have a good link to a refundable ticket to a close destination?

Thanks for the advice offered so far!

You cannot get a visa in Thailand. Only visa exempt.

The airline can and are known to insist on the return ticket, it is their right.

You can contact a major airline over the phone for full refundable ticket to e.g to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, etc.

Otherwise get the cheapest flight out with a low cost. Maybe you can get one that brings you to Cambodia where you want to go anyway.

Remember they will just need to see a printout.

Your initial problem will be with the Airline that you are using. Without an ticket exiting Thailand within 30 days of your arrival they may not let you board your flight. You may have to purchase a last minute ticket exiting Thiland within 30 days to get on the flight! Hat Yai to KL used to be cheap, but not refundable. You could also purchase a ticket exiting Thailand to cover your trip to Cambodia. One way would be okay and come back by land.

You cannot get a visa in Thailand, you must purchase it at a consulate/embassy abroad.

OK, although I really wish I'd realised this difficulty a long time ago the answer seems to be clear - I need to buy a ticket from Thailand to Cambodia 30 days after I arrive to show proof of onward travel.

Travelling back from Cambodia - I imagine I will travel in through land in the last few days of August. Will there be any issues with re-entering Thailand by land 10-14 days after leaving it?

OK, although I really wish I'd realised this difficulty a long time ago the answer seems to be clear - I need to buy a ticket from Thailand to Cambodia 30 days after I arrive to show proof of onward travel.

Travelling back from Cambodia - I imagine I will travel in through land in the last few days of August. Will there be any issues with re-entering Thailand by land 10-14 days after leaving it?

Another option:

Depending on your ticket validity and airline you could initially book a return date within the 30 days and later change this date with the airline in Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If you didn't want to deal with the hassle of getting a refundable ticket, the cheapest flight I've come across is with AirAsia from DMK to Yangon, Myanmar. Only 1130 baht after fees (selecting no baggage and no selected seat) for a one way.

Certainly, getting an air ticket will work. But I think if you have booked hotel reservations in Cambodia that you can tell them you are planning to travel to Cambodia by ground before the 30 days expire. Just be prepared to show printouts of your full itinerary with the Cambodia hotel reservations.

There's no need to be afraid to be a real tourist as long as you don't have a history of back to back stays.

I would say buy a one way ticket from DMK to Phnom Penh or Siem Reap on Air Asia (experiment with different days to get a good price), it needs to depart within 30 days of your arrival in BKK (they count the day of arrival as day one). Print off the itinerary as you will almost certainly need to show it to your airline in London before travelling to BKK, the airline will not be satisfied by evidence of hotel bookings in Cambodia (you may also need to show the itinerary on arrival at BKK). Return to Thailand by air or by land (as a UK passport holder you will get another 30 days either way). You don't want to be travelling overland twice between Bangkok and PP or SR, unless you have a masochistic streak/death wish and really enjoy Cambodian buses. This plan assumes you will stay in Cambodia for more than a couple of days, otherwise they might just raise problems on your return to Thailand. BTW, it is possible I think to get a joint tourist visa for Thailand and Cambodia, obtainable from the embassy/consulate of either country. This would remove the necessity to buy the Cambodian visa on arrival (20USD and don't forget to bring a photo).

Edited by DEQ

OK thanks all. This is an incredibly helpful forum! I'm probably going to book a flight from Krabi to Phnom Penh at the end of my initial 30 day Visa. I thought if you come into Thailand by land then you only get a 14 days Visa? This was the case for me last year. Can you ask for 30 days overland as a standard Visa by exemption when entering the country?

OK thanks all. This is an incredibly helpful forum! I'm probably going to book a flight from Krabi to Phnom Penh at the end of my initial 30 day Visa. I thought if you come into Thailand by land then you only get a 14 days Visa? This was the case for me last year. Can you ask for 30 days overland as a standard Visa by exemption when entering the country?

Since 11/2013 G7 countries get 30 days visa exempt at land borders.