To Buy A New Buoyancy Compensator Or Not?

livetodive

I'll be needing your help guys. I got my old buoyancy compensator busted so I'm looking to buy a new one instead of renting from dive shops. Since I'm back to zero, you might have recommendations, whether I should just rent or have my own. If you prefer the latter, which one should choose from this website I found - http://www.joediveramerica.com/scuba-diving-gear. Should I go for Back-inflation, Jacket Style or Weight-integrated?

First question, buy or rent, would depend on how often you dive and how much comfort you like.

Your own equipment will always be more comfortable than rented gear, but renting for 2 weeks of scuba @ 300 Baht per day would be 4,200 Baht per year. With a medium class BCD of around 20k Baht that gives you 5 years of renting to break even, plus no maintenance etc. So either could be a good option, depending on frequency if use and personal preference.

Regarding the kind of BCD, that really depends on your personal preferences. I don't like integrated weights, others do. I dive with a jacket, also because my students do and a jacket is the standard, but a wing has advantages as well, you just have to get used to it. If in the future you're thinking of technical diving, a wing would be the choice to make.

If you go diving with a school then all your equipment is included in the price of the dive. Just choose a school that has good equipment thumbsup.gif

That would depend on the school, which tends to depend on the dive area.

And even if equipment rental is included in the price, normally a discount will be given if divers come with own equipment.

• Like 1

First question, buy or rent, would depend on how often you dive and how much comfort you like.

Your own equipment will always be more comfortable than rented gear, but renting for 2 weeks of scuba @ 300 Baht per day would be 4,200 Baht per year. With a medium class BCD of around 20k Baht that gives you 5 years of renting to break even, plus no maintenance etc. So either could be a good option, depending on frequency if use and personal preference.

Regarding the kind of BCD, that really depends on your personal preferences. I don't like integrated weights, others do. I dive with a jacket, also because my students do and a jacket is the standard, but a wing has advantages as well, you just have to get used to it. If in the future you're thinking of technical diving, a wing would be the choice to make.

I'll be diving A LOT...so I think buying, for me, is the best way to go. Aside from this site: http://www.joediveramerica.com/scuba-diving-gear, do you have other sites or local shops that you can recommend? About the kind of BCD, my old BCD was a jacket but I'm open to trying a different as long as it's comfortable and not that expensive. I'm not really into high-end brands, as long as it fits well into my body then I'm fine with it.

The problem with the website you mention is that some of the brands sold there will not be serviceable here. With BCD's less important than with regs, but still.

You can also check Divesupply, they sell e.g. Subgear, the B-brand from Scubapro, and they have Seacsub as well, which also makes some good BCD's. Divesupply is in your area.

Or you're welcome here in Phuket to enjoy my personal advice and opinion :)

The problem with the website you mention is that some of the brands sold there will not be serviceable here. With BCD's less important than with regs, but still.

You can also check Divesupply, they sell e.g. Subgear, the B-brand from Scubapro, and they have Seacsub as well, which also makes some good BCD's. Divesupply is in your area.

Or you're welcome here in Phuket to enjoy my personal advice and opinion smile.png

Yeah, I agree with you on that. Though I like the stuff in http://www.joediveramerica.com/scuba-diving-gear but I will take your word for it. Where is Divesupply located? I'm kinda new here so I'm still finding my way around, I will need your help on that too, if you don't mind.

"Or you're welcome here in Phuket to enjoy my personal advice and opinion" <--- this would be great! Sure! Would love to meet and know fellow divers in Phuket. Are you free next weekend?

Or you're welcome here in Phuket to enjoy my personal advice and opinion smile.png

Yeah, I agree with you on that. Though I like the stuff in http://www.joediveramerica.com/scuba-diving-gear but I will take your word for it. Where is Divesupply located? I'm kinda new here so I'm still finding my way around, I will need your help on that too, if you don't mind.

"Or you're welcome here in Phuket to enjoy my personal advice and opinion" <--- this would be great! Sure! Would love to meet and know fellow divers in Phuket. Are you free next weekend?

Divesupply on Phuket does wholesale only, afaik their shop in Bangkok sells to everybody. tel. 02-354 4815

I'm here in the shop every day, so you're always welcome :) And of course I'd love to help you with your new BCD.

Divesupply on Phuket does wholesale only, afaik their shop in Bangkok sells to everybody. tel. 02-354 4815

I'm here in the shop every day, so you're always welcome smile.png And of course I'd love to help you with your new BCD.

That would be greatly appreciated :) I'll give you a buzz when I go to your shop, prolly next week. Thanks again!