CTH this season

Pattaya Pat

Does anyone know if there are going to be any changes to the formatting etc this season? Not saying it needs to be changed but just wondering. Is BluE still about on here?

I FINALLY got a bill from CTH this week, first one since last July, thankfully it was only for a month but they billed me an extra 200 baht for an extra box even though I only have one, so the missus called them up and they told her not to pay that one and they will send out a fresh one, lol.

Come on you rip roaring goal scoring mighty IRONS!

Looks like this topic is off to a flying start !tongue.png

Reported today that CTH and GMM have a struck a deal to merge. I'm not sure what the ramifications might be regarding EPL viewing.

Same article indicated that CTH lost $3.5 billion baht last year.blink.png

Reported today that CTH and GMM have a struck a deal to merge. I'm not sure what the ramifications might be regarding EPL viewing.

Yes, hopefully it will stay on topic now.

No surprise they lost a stack of dough is it, they only have 2 years left now of the PL, unless they win the rights again.

That's because they paid the PL up front.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I got it. Seems that they may have done a little better if their billing department wasn't shambles. Maybe the merger will give them some much needed infrastructure.

Not possible to tell whether they are in trouble without knowing what the writer meant by "lost" - a hugely inexact term.

Scudamore's ringing endorsement of CTH 18 months ago as a quality TV signal peddling outfit has been repeatedly rubbished ever since.

Anyone got CTH for free? No? Labour to fix billing problems is relatively cheap. I'll bet their financial problems are much to do with poor/optimistic financial forecasting and not charging enough in the first place. I did wonder how they could afford to pitch it at 60% of the True price.

They have at least survived a year and I "got away with" taking the one year deal thank goodness. Reckon I'll go onto the monthly deal from now onsmile.png 

Not possible to tell whether they are in trouble without knowing what the writer meant by "lost" - a hugely inexact term.

Scudamore's ringing endorsement of CTH 18 months ago as a quality TV signal peddling outfit has been repeatedly rubbished ever since.

Anyone got CTH for free? No? Labour to fix billing problems is relatively cheap. I'll bet their financial problems are much to do with poor/optimistic financial forecasting and not charging enough in the first place. I did wonder how they could afford to pitch it at 60% of the True price.

They have at least survived a year and I "got away with" taking the one year deal thank goodness. Reckon I'll go onto the monthly deal from now onsmile.png 

I think CTH are in a desperate state,when you take into account the reported 200 million US they paid for the EPL rights for 3 Years,plus the 14 Billion Baht they borrowed from the Bangkok Bank to start off.
Then you have the long running thread (can't think of the name) Bangkok Blues excellent contribution that over 75% of the posts are complaints about the service,the billing department etc etc.
They would need a lot more than the 500,000 subscribers they have to break even with the debt they have incurred starting this service up
And at the moment it's a case of 2+2 =3 with CTH
  • Like 1

CTH have also joined forces with WETV.If you go into WETV's CM office the logo sits proudly on the wall behind behind the reception desk.The CTH logo is also on the WETV web site but just don't ask the staff a CTH question, as I did, they haven't got a clue.

We only took out a years subscription with CTH as I couldn't see them going the distance and I still don't.

CTH are a shambles,the web site is useless and the fb page is a waste of space. You would think after a year they might have sorted it out.

I hope the Bangkok Bank has plenty of guarantors in place. 

I thought you were cancelling yours PP whistling.gif

Oh look, it's the traitor. How about replying to the post rather than the poster?

So after all that complaining we had to endure, you never cancelled like you said were going to ? rolleyes.gif

I think that deal was done about half way through last season jd, thus the reason why we were able to get the GMM sports channels.

Oh look, it's the traitor. How about replying to the post rather than the poster?

So after all that complaining we had to endure, you never cancelled like you said were going to ? rolleyes.gif

Don't worry Alfie, Postman Pat has a long history of making throw away comments and then disappearing failing to answer replies. After calling me a peasant the other day, and being admonished by others, he has not been seen since on the overstay thread. Too busy stroking his pussy Jess I suspect. SB

I've had true for a few years and was shocked last year when they didn't show the EPL. I have the True Dish and also about 4 other gadgets ( and I'm not gadget savvy!!) that act as adapters on other TVs in the house to receive the True TV to other rooms. As much as I am disappointed with the price v value of True ( 2K/ month) I have been loath to change because the " gadgets " attached to all other TVs were expensive and I am unsure if they would work with another service provider- eg/ CTH??
Can someone advise how the set up with CTH works. ? Do I have to buy a new Dish and new set top box etc ? I'm pretty useless with gadgets - so some genuine advice would be appreciated.

TV content is sourced internationally, so prices for packages can be expected to be western prices - like wine, cheese, good beer, butter etc.

TV's prices only seem expensive because we are used to cheap stuff in Thailand. Everybody seemed to think at the start that CTH, with their 1,000 baht a month (roughly) package, proved that True overcharge. If CTH fail financially I think that conclusion is shown to be unproven.

1,600 baht a month (approx - for the Gold package) is not expensive in international terms. Try paying for Sky + BT in the UK to get a semi-decent Prem coverage - about 100 quid. Even buying True Gold + CTH is half that cost and gives you substantially more.

I've had true for a few years and was shocked last year when they didn't show the EPL. I have the True Dish and also about 4 other gadgets ( and I'm not gadget savvy!!) that act as adapters on other TVs in the house to receive the True TV to other rooms. As much as I am disappointed with the price v value of True ( 2K/ month) I have been loath to change because the " gadgets " attached to all other TVs were expensive and I am unsure if they would work with another service provider- eg/ CTH??
Can someone advise how the set up with CTH works. ? Do I have to buy a new Dish and new set top box etc ? I'm pretty useless with gadgets - so some genuine advice would be appreciated.

CTH sat uses a different satellite. Dish needs to be pointed to Vietnam. As for gadgets. If they were purchased/installed by True, I think you are stuffed. They will be configured to ensure no use with other systems.

I have been very happy with CTH. Let's not forget the True shenanigans of pre-last season. I paid CTH for one year. My missus now talking to them about next monthly payment. They are not doing annual renewals at the moment it seems. Yep, their account dept is a joke, but I get my premiership In English so I am happy. For the rest of my TV viewing I use ExpatTV. Nothing like British TV for a Brit. Hate that American inspired tripe!

CTH sat uses a different satellite. Dish needs to be pointed to Vietnam. As for gadgets. If they were purchased/installed by True, I think you are stuffed. They will be configured to ensure no use with other systems.

I have been very happy with CTH. Let's not forget the True shenanigans of pre-last season. I paid CTH for one year. My missus now talking to them about next monthly payment. They are not doing annual renewals at the moment it seems. Yep, their account dept is a joke, but I get my premiership In English so I am happy. For the rest of my TV viewing I use ExpatTV. Nothing like British TV for a Brit. Hate that American inspired tripe!

So I will need a " New Dish " for CTH and a new set top box from CTH then ?  Can you receive the signal from CTH to all your TVs or only the TV that is coonected with the Set Top Box ?  What is Ex.Pat TV........is this another Dish or is it internet based ?

Don't worry Alfie, Postman Pat has a long history of making throw away comments and then disappearing failing to answer replies. After calling me a peasant the other day, and being admonished by others, he has not been seen since on the overstay thread. Too busy stroking his pussy Jess I suspect. SB

Was that your 'huge amount of money' comment for a new passport? If a 100 quid is a huge amount of money to you, then yes I stand by what I said.

And yes CTH are a 'joke' glad you agree.

Pat

Google expat TV Thailand. It is a set top box. If you only want an interest in premier league, you can watch UK match of the day on this + plenty of European footy. I have bought 3 of these for convenience in each room, but you could get away with one box and just move it around the house as it is fed by wireless internet. The new box is dual core. Never had a buffering difficulty with this latest box.

Yes new dish and box for CTH. Engineer could lay cable around the house for each room.

Was that your 'huge amount of money' comment for a new passport? If a 100 quid is a huge amount of money to you, then yes I stand by what I said.

Pat

Go back to the relevant thread and look at the £2000 and agree such is a chunk of change. Numpty! Edited by iancnx

Pat

Go back to the relevant thread and look at the £2000 and agree such is a chunk of change. Numpty!

But that wasn't you that said that was it, you was specifically talking about the 'huge cost' of a passport, so let's not start making things up now. Numpty!

Anyhow, bore off and let it be.

IRONS!

So I will need a " New Dish " for CTH and a new set top box from CTH then ?  Can you receive the signal from CTH to all your TVs or only the TV that is coonected with the Set Top Box ?  What is Ex.Pat TV........is this another Dish or is it internet based ?

Yes - if you are receiving it from the CTH satellite. With the GMM (Grammy) deal only just announced it may be worth waiting to see how that pans out. If GMM are going to carry the Stadium channels (those are the CTH channels that carry the Prem League programming) then it could well be worthwhile going with GMM. If it is still functioning the same way it was 2 years ago when we all had to buy GMM for the Euros then you simply buy a box in Tescos connect with GMM (online? I don't know as I have never paid for their premium programming that has come in since) and get a local satellite shop guy to connect up your GMM box to the True dish - the True signal and GMM signal are coming from very similar satellite positions.

The other potential advantages with this approach:

* CTH are notoriously horrific in their admin. No such criticism has attached to GMM in its 2 years of operation, albeit far less people have previously signed up to pay for their existing premium content, so there is no guarantee that GMM will not be similarly overloaded if lots of people take up a new offer of Prem League content

* CTH have shocking disregard for telling customers what will be showing. GMM have hitherto been much better with their web site and a bit better with on-screen programme guides

* CTH might go belly-up if the recent reports on finances means they are cash-strapped; don't assume this is inevitable though - there is nothing that I've seen in the press (I'm a retired qualified accountant) that is conclusive either way and they could be bought-out anyway

The potential disadvantages with the wait and see approach:

* The Thai way is last-minute. We may not know until a day before the season starts what GMM intend to do with their new partnership with CTH

* I would not sign up to GMM for Prem content until I was absolutely sure that the HD signal content will be excellent. The one thing you can say about CTH is that the quality of their Stadium channels is absolutely first class to look at and signal break-up from their Vietnam satellite seems to be less interruptive than True's (don't know about GMM - I don't watch GMM much, it's in daughters' bedroom)

* If you are keeping True then you will need a separate dish for GMM I think (but you would need one for CTH anyway). 

Decisions, decisions. T'was ever thus here in Thailand.

I'll let the engineering types answer questions about how you connect, and the legality of connecting, more than one TV to one CTH box. The CTH price list includes a (reduced) price for a second TV set-up so I assume you are meant to go that route. Others may be reluctant to advise on multiple connections here if it involves copyright infringement or similar (Thai Visa has rules on this!). Someone shout if I am being unnecessarily scared of shadows tongue.png 

Others know more about expatTV but as I understand it it's internet-based and you get a box which allows for selecting programs that have run within the last week. You program the thing to download overnight what you want to watch and get good quality playback through your TV set later (or watch it live with all the quality problems of streaming). I think its about 500 baht a month. I think it picks up on Sky programming inter-alia, so may not show every Prem League game, but it could be a useful infill on Champions League matches if you want to get rid of True. Perhaps I should have left this one to the experts - I'm only reporting based on what I've picked up watching stuff from expat TV at my local Isaan bar/pizza cafsmile.png

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

Pat

Go back to the relevant thread and look at the £2000 and agree such is a chunk of change. Numpty!

But that wasn't you that said that was it, you was specifically talking about the 'huge cost' of a passport, so let's not start making things up. Numpty
I think you are thoroughly mistaken old chap. What was said, as you well know, was the cost of a passport and the associated costs would be a huge chunk of change..... In my case an emergency travel doc from the Embassy, return flights to UK, visa costs and hotels and expenses. Postman Pat, Go back to stroking your pussy! Edited by iancnx

Yes - if you are receiving it from the CTH satellite. With the GMM (Grammy) deal only just announced it may be worth waiting to see how that pans out. If GMM are going to carry the Stadium channels (those are the CTH channels that carry the Prem League programming) then it could well be worthwhile going with GMM. If it is still functioning the same way it was 2 years ago when we all had to buy GMM for the Euros then you simply buy a box in Tescos connect with GMM (online? I don't know as I have never paid for their premium programming that has come in since) and get a local satellite shop guy to connect up your GMM box to the True dish - the True signal and GMM signal are coming from very similar satellite positions.

The other potential advantages with this approach:

* CTH are notoriously horrific in their admin. No such criticism has attached to GMM in its 2 years of operation, albeit far less people have previously signed up to pay for their existing premium content, so there is no guarantee that GMM will not be similarly overloaded if lots of people take up a new offer of Prem League content
* CTH have shocking disregard for telling customers what will be showing. GMM have hitherto been much better with their web site and a bit better with on-screen programme guides
* CTH might go belly-up if the recent reports on finances means they are cash-strapped; don't assume this is inevitable though - there is nothing that I've seen in the press (I'm a retired qualified accountant) that is conclusive either way and they could be bought-out anyway

The potential disadvantages with the wait and see approach:

* The Thai way is last-minute. We may not know until a day before the season starts what GMM intend to do with their new partnership with CTH
* I would not sign up to GMM for Prem content until I was absolutely sure that the HD signal content will be excellent. The one thing you can say about CTH is that the quality of their Stadium channels is absolutely first class to look at and signal break-up from their Vietnam satellite seems to be less interruptive than True's (don't know about GMM - I don't watch GMM much, it's in daughters' bedroom)
* If you are keeping True then you will need a separate dish for GMM I think (but you would need one for CTH anyway). 

Decisions, decisions. T'was ever thus here in Thailand.

I'll let the engineering types answer questions about how you connect, and the legality of connecting, more than one TV to one CTH box. The CTH price list includes a (reduced) price for a second TV set-up so I assume you are meant to go that route. Others may be reluctant to advise on multiple connections here if it involves copyright infringement or similar (Thai Visa has rules on this!). Someone shout if I am being unnecessarily scared of shadows tongue.png 

Others know more about expatTV but as I understand it it's internet-based and you get a box which allows for selecting programs that have run within the last week. You program the thing to download overnight what you want to watch and get good quality playback through your TV set later (or watch it live with all the quality problems of streaming). I think its about 500 baht a month. I think it picks up on Sky programming inter-alia, so may not show every Prem League game, but it could be a useful infill on Champions League matches if you want to get rid of True. Perhaps I should have left this one to the experts - I'm only reporting based on what I've picked up watching stuff from expat TV at my local Isaan bar/pizza cafsmile.png

Many thanks for your detailed reply- very useful. I'm not sure whether to down True or not- but I definitely want to have access to the footy- life is not the same without it and I don't like to watch it in the bars if I can watch it at home. Like you mention- it's probably going to be a decision after the first game when we can really see which provider is doing it the best - etc. Cheers.

Pat

But that wasn't you that said that was it, you was specifically talking about the 'huge cost' of a passport, so let's not start making things up. Numpty
I think you are thoroughly mistaken old chap. What was said, as you well know, was the cost of a passport and the associated costs would be a huge chunk of change..... In my case an emergency travel doc from the Embassy, return flights to UK, visa costs and hotels and expenses. Postman Pat, Go back to stroking your pussy!

Come on you two - I bet you even support the same team despite the bickering !

Just for info, CTH Holdings own the internet streaming rights for EPL in Thailand. Unless anyone can produce a document that shows they have been granted those rights by CTH themselves, they are streaming it illegally, so are open to being shutdown should CTH decide to complain - which I'm sure they would do if they decide to offer a streaming service themselves.

I stuck with True Gold for the last year (cos Arsenal lasted in the CL until Feb - thereafter down to lethargy!), plus CTH, which is a silly combined expense of 2,900 baht a month (two True boxes). Once the CTH/GMM situation is clearer I will re-look at configuration. I have in mind:

True Entertainment + CTH + ExpatTV. Should cut the cost down by a few hundred baht with a net gain in coverage of the stuff I like - Six Nations Rugby (which Setanta on True Gold seemed to drop last winter) and more UK drama/comedy content. Might have to risk missing the odd Arsenal CL appearance. On second thoughts will also look at just CTH + ExpatTV.