Court dismisses Thaksin suit against Kaewsan

webfact

Persons should not be able to pick and choose whether they are within the jurisdiction of the courts.  You should not be able to prosecute claims, nor defend claims against you, if you are in asbstentia.  It's a solid legal principle, which is totally lost in the archaic Thai judicial system.

Since you cannot even spell absentia, I doubt you know the first thing about absentia proceedings, or how they work in the legal framework.

And it is not a legal principle, laymans terms face that who accuses you or audi alteram partem.... meh 

Next bit of wisdom please sir?

Wow...this case moved fast through the Thai justice system....only took 7 years.

And of course Thaksin was not a "fugitive from justice" or "politically motivated actions" depending on your stance, at that time so no problem with the suit?

Interesting that the result comes now! The wheels of justice,bogged down in  -----?

Yes, there still is a problem with him being absent from the jurisdiction.  When required by the Court, he would have to make a personal appearance.  Thailand's courts frequently require party attendance at mediations and settlement conferences.  How would he engage in those?  The Court wouldn't let him appear via video conference.  Second, what about trial?  Are they going to let him testify via video conference?  Unheard of in Thailand and not even allowed for parties in any other jurisdiction of which I am aware.  The court was probably seeing if he would return in the event of an amnesty to prosecute his defamation case.  When that door was closed, they finally ruled on the merits.
The appearance rule is for defendants, not those pressing charges.
So Thaksin need not appear to continue to muzzle dissenting committee members.
Fortunately the truth did set Kaosan free.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by animatic

• 3 weeks later...

yet another frivolous Thaksin suit is dismissed today.

Supreme Court rejects Thaksin's suit

The Nation

August 14, 2014 2:38 pm

The Supreme Court Thursday upheld the Criminal and Appeals courts' decision to reject a lawsuit filed by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his divorced wife, Khunying Potjaman Na Pombejra

Fugitives from the law shouldn't be able to file lawsuits in the first place. bah.gif

I think that they should be allowed to file a lawsuit but ONLY on the proviso that they are present in the court for the hearing.

Yet another crappy lawsuit getting tossed today reinforces your reasonable requirement.