Pheu Thai 'to boycott Reform Council'

webfact

Pheu Thai 'To Boycott Reform Council'
By Khaosod English

14061053781406106024l.jpg
Pheu Thai party members at the Army's Happiness Festival in Bangkok on 22 July 2014.

BANGKOK — The ruling party of the former government will not send any members to join the "National Reform Council" outlined in Thailand’s new interim constitution, sources inside the Pheu Thai Party say.

The junta’s newly inaugurated 2014 Interim Constitution calls for the appointment of a 250-member National Reform Council that will propose political, economic, and social reforms to ensure that Thailand can become a "true" democracy.

According to sources, Pheu Thai leaders have concluded that even if their members are appointed to join the reform council, they will only manage to constitute a minority.

Deputy secretary-general of the Pheu Thai Party Chavalit Wichayasutthi said he thinks it’s unlikely that Pheu Thai members will ask to participate in the 35-member Constitution Drafting Committee either.

Mr. Chavalit explained that no one will want to join the committee, which is tasked with penning a permanent charter, because the 2014 Interim Constitution prohibits the committee members from running for political office for two years.

The military junta ousted the elected government led by Pheu Thai Party on 22 May. Since the coup, a number of Pheu Thai Party supporters have attempted to protest the junta and the military takeover, but their resistance has been stamped out by authorities.

However, prominent Pheu Thai Party members have urged their supporters to cooperate with the military rulers. Some of them, such as Veera Musikapong and Suphon Attawong, even participated in the army-organised "Return Happiness to the People of the Nation" fair in Bangkok yesterday.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1406105378

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-07-23

The cynic in me would suggest that the PTP reforms would only be carried out where they could control the reforms, and exactly what was reformed and how these reforms would be implemented ....

Achieving a consensus with others doesn't appear to be on the agenda.

Edited by sandmike
  • Like 2

I hope this report is mistaken, or premature.

Ms Yingluck was willing to promise reform after the elections, which she expected to go her way, her party cannot simply pretend that the need for reform has disappeared, because "even if their members are appointed to join the reform council, they will only manage to constitute a minority".

Their ideas are still valid, and nobody should expect to be able to dictate the reforms proposed, through having a majority. They're not in-power now, but their arguments are still worth hearing, aren't they ?

PTP's refusal to participate in reform would be as wrong as the Dems' refusal to take part in an election, and as short-sighted.

No ideas of political party members are worth hearing nor are they allowed to participate in this group.

The Democrats refusal to participate in that corruption infested election appears to have had good vision since the PT were booted out partially because of that election fiasco. Had the Dems the shortsightedness to participate then the coup likely would not have happened and we would still have PT corrupt officials milking the country.

Thank god the Junta had put restrictions on the media. I have had a 2 month holiday from reading about their constant negativity, broken promises, intimidation of anyone and anything that goes against their agenda and the narrative that is all to predictable of putting themselves first before the people of Thailand. The Junta have resembled a democracy more than the PTP every did and now this media blanket has been lifted somewhat 2 days later the PTP are being reported again with their negativity as if they had not missed a beat. Holiday over.

"Mr. Chavalit explained that no one will want to join the committee, which is tasked with penning a permanent charter, because the 2014 Interim Constitution prohibits the committee members from running for political office for two years"

Fortunately Mr Chavalit, not everyone has the same selfish, self absorbed and insolent mindset that you and members of the PTP have and after reading the article that highlighted the benefits and perks the ministers get for the rest of their life after holding office I can see exactly why this statement was made. Which on a side note explains why the PTP rotated ministers through parliament more akin to a child's game of musical chairs than putting the right people in the right jobs and keeping them there (again contempt for the voters). They really do not change.

I swear the PTP love coups. They adore them. They must. Apart from the fact that if they could keep their terrorist movement in check , this reform will make coups obsolete. This reform will benefit the people. It will tackle corruption. It will tackle abuse of power and ensure the strengthening of checks and balances and laws to allow the perpetrators to be more effectively investigated and removed from their position. It will force governments to be transparent. This can only be good for the people, for the tax payer. These are the people the PTP purport to embrace by constantly spouting their dedication to them and the country. The PTP should use this opportunity to say "No more coups" and get involved to ensure it does not happen and this reform committee is the perfect opportunity to vent their ideas on stopping coups. This can be done through reform. Alas though, everything the reform process is rectifying is what the PTP have abused. The reform process is to stop them abusing power. If anything it is not pro democracy reform. It is an anti PTP reform and that can only be a good thing.

The most important thing the PTP narrative shows me is that it is not coups they don't like. What they don't like is when the coups affects there ability to make obscene amounts of money. As thaksin had shown in 1992, when coups allow them to make obscene amounts of money they embrace them like a mother with her new born child. They just happen to be on the wrong end of them of late.

<EDIT> I love the minority excuse. They seem to think they will be ignored because that is what they did with all minorities in parliament and most in Thailand. That is how they honestly see democracy and minorities. Fortunately majority rule and minority rights will be part of this reform.

Nicely summed up.

+1

• Like 2

"Mr. Chavalit explained that no one will want to join the committee, which is tasked with penning a permanent charter, because the 2014 Interim Constitution prohibits the committee members from running for political office for two years."

Deprive the country of our valuable guidance for two years, just because we provide valuable assistance and guidance in a committee? What would the country do without us being in a political office rolleyes.gif

I believe the democrats also boycotted the reform council but for other reasons. They did not want to be there or else they would be blamed for legislation people would not like. Correct me if I was wrong but was that not the gist of it. ?

Thank god the Junta had put restrictions on the media. I have had a 2 month holiday from reading about their constant negativity, broken promises, intimidation of anyone and anything that goes against their agenda and the narrative that is all to predictable of putting themselves first before the people of Thailand. The Junta have resembled a democracy more than the PTP every did and now this media blanket has been lifted somewhat 2 days later the PTP are being reported again with their negativity as if they had not missed a beat. Holiday over.

"Mr. Chavalit explained that no one will want to join the committee, which is tasked with penning a permanent charter, because the 2014 Interim Constitution prohibits the committee members from running for political office for two years"

Fortunately Mr Chavalit, not everyone has the same selfish, self absorbed and insolent mindset that you and members of the PTP have and after reading the article that highlighted the benefits and perks the ministers get for the rest of their life after holding office I can see exactly why this statement was made. Which on a side note explains why the PTP rotated ministers through parliament more akin to a child's game of musical chairs than putting the right people in the right jobs and keeping them there (again contempt for the voters). They really do not change.

I swear the PTP love coups. They adore them. They must. Apart from the fact that if they could keep their terrorist movement in check , this reform will make coups obsolete. This reform will benefit the people. It will tackle corruption. It will tackle abuse of power and ensure the strengthening of checks and balances and laws to allow the perpetrators to be more effectively investigated and removed from their position. It will force governments to be transparent. This can only be good for the people, for the tax payer. These are the people the PTP purport to embrace by constantly spouting their dedication to them and the country. The PTP should use this opportunity to say "No more coups" and get involved to ensure it does not happen and this reform committee is the perfect opportunity to vent their ideas on stopping coups. This can be done through reform. Alas though, everything the reform process is rectifying is what the PTP have abused. The reform process is to stop them abusing power. If anything it is not pro democracy reform. It is an anti PTP reform and that can only be a good thing.

The most important thing the PTP narrative shows me is that it is not coups they don't like. What they don't like is when the coups affects there ability to make obscene amounts of money. As thaksin had shown in 1992, when coups allow them to make obscene amounts of money they embrace them like a mother with her new born child. They just happen to be on the wrong end of them of late.

I love the minority excuse. They seem to think they will be ignored because that is what they did with all minorities in parliament and most in Thailand. That is how they honestly see democracy and minorities. Fortunately majority rule and minority rights will be part of this reform.

While I agree with what you wrote, somehow I feel, if the situation was reversed, the Dem's as a party would be doing the same (i.e. with dissenting opinions). It just all feels like politics as usual to me.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Aww.. Come on! The two year prohibition I can see would scare away politicians, but surely they have some non-running supporters to stand in their stead? Is having a minority voice unimportant?

From what I have seen of Thai politics from the last twenty years, having a minority voice is the same as having no voice at all--but this is still no reason to totally boycott the process and be left out altogether..

I again urge the government to make a super majority necessary for the most important decisions, but again a winner-takes -all argument comes into play.

Neither side wants any supermajority votes -- it would make decisions necessitate negotiations.

Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

Aww.. Come on! The two year prohibition I can see would scare away politicians, but surely they have some non-running supporters to stand in their stead? Is having a minority voice unimportant?

From what I have seen of Thai politics from the last twenty years, having a minority voice is the same as having no voice at all--but this is still no reason to totally boycott the process and be left out altogether..

I again urge the government to make a super majority necessary for the most important decisions, but again a winner-takes -all argument comes into play.

Neither side wants any supermajority votes -- it would make decisions necessitate negotiations.

Amazing Thailand.

Please, explain this in the same wording, loud and clear, to the people you must know inside the PTP, as, for once, IMO, what you're writing makes sense...