Reducing Road Noise

wowjudo

Hello

Does somebody know any good shops that can help to reduce the excessive road noise on my 2013 honda accord ?

It mainly occurs if you drive faster than 60km/h. Im almost sure its the tires (michellin pilot sport 3) but they are actually reviewed and stated as one of the most silent one of michellin. so changing it wont really help alot

there must be some way to make it more quite

Road noise only occurs when driving on rough road surface (not necessarely uneven or having potholes)

Also would it be worth to get the Tein street advanced shock absorber kit ?

cheers

I have a newer Honda also, and road noise is a noted part of the Honda experience (all models), along with a better driving feel than Toyota or Nissan.  However, it has been covered on here, and you can go to youtube to see all the ways of adding extra wheel well and underbody sound insulation etc..  I've never done it, but maybe someone of the forum has?  changing out tires helps to to get the quietest tires you can buy.

Seems strange how a brand such as this (enter A.O.P) would not test for road noise as such before putting up for sale. 

No wonder car manufacturers keep spending money upgrade their audio systems in vehicles to drown out the engineered in noise...

• Like 1

Seems strange how a brand such as this (enter A.O.P) would not test for road noise as such before putting up for sale. 

No wonder car manufacturers keep spending money upgrade their audio systems in vehicles to drown out the engineered in noise...

Yeah, I've never understood why Honda doesn't invest to make their interiors quieter to match Toyota and Nissan.  Ford and Mazda seem to have found the perfect balance of driver feel and interior noise reduction.

• Like 1

The best shop to help you with the road noise in your Accord is a Nissan dealership. Second best is a Toyota dealership.

All Accords are horrifically noisy, and always have been - if Honda can't make them quiet, I can't see some corner shop doing much better.

It's a uniquely Honda trait to make obscenely noisy interiors..

No-one's ever been able to have a normal conversation in an Accord at 100km/hr. What's even worse though, is that the City actually does better than the 2-3x more expensive Accord..

First improvement to Civic and Accord is fit Mich Premacy from new. The Honda Thai Bean Counters are often spotted in cheap tire outlets buying rubbish.The City isnt as bad though.On cement roads they are grim,tarmac ,bit better ,but still a case to give the clown who passed em off a god Arse Kicking.Or could it be a All New Honda lead up.The Silent Runner?..That would be a First.Toyota and most others have All New every Year by adding a 500Bht bit of plastic.How can they get away with this All New Cobblers i wonder.coffee1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi wowjudo, mate ive  no experience with Hondas but I had an old holden ute which I painted the floor, inside of the firewall, and inside door skins with body deadener(5ltr paint can of black tar looking stuff), it helped with the heat transferring up from the big ass exhausts under my seat and doors helped the door speakers sound a little better, also did make it a lot quieter inside from engine and road noise,did stink for a week or two but went away, any panel beater shop should have it. I don't think shock absorbers would make much difference from my experience 

Edited by mha noi
  • Like 1

I saw a Honda Accord Hybrid in the Big C mall in Phitsanulok the other day.  By the time you get it on the road there isn't a lot of change out of 2 million.

The tyres where like stripes of licorice wrapped around the rim!

• Like 1

One reason the manufacturer might skimp on sound deadening is that it is very heavy. Everybody is looking for performance and fuel economy and weight is the enemy of both of these. Honda have historically manufactured their machines with a great deal of mechanical integrity but do compromise in some areas.  

Tyres are a major factory, standard size premium tyres will be noticably quieter than poor quality ones or low profile tyres as fitted to aftermarket wheels.

I saw a Honda Accord Hybrid in the Big C mall in Phitsanulok the other day.  By the time you get it on the road there isn't a lot of change out of 2 million.

The tyres where like stripes of licorice wrapped around the rim!

Think they are a bit cheaper at Makro.

Regarding Noise, if you go to a Trim Shop,that does Leather Seats,there is allways one chap who can remove the roof lining and fit those sticky sound pieces in. That makes a big difference.That Drum noise when it rains has gone.

It is called Dynamat, my Maz 3 makes too much noise for my liking so am having the roof, doors and floor done.

i was thinking of doing:

- Change to new tyres (mich. primacy 3 st)

- Add insulation to the doors (dynamat or w/e those things are called)

- optional: giving the wheel wells another layer of the rubber spray 

Not sure if its is a good way but its sure not a cheap solution so im struggeling if its worth.

Also been thinking of getting tein street advance shock absorbers.

i was thinking of doing:

- Change to new tyres (mich. primacy 3 st)

- Add insulation to the doors (dynamat or w/e those things are called)

- optional: giving the wheel wells another layer of the rubber spray 

Not sure if its is a good way but its sure not a cheap solution so im struggeling if its worth.

Also been thinking of getting tein street advance shock absorbers.

So you want a quiet car with teeth rattling suspension...... allrighty then.

i thought tein street advanced can be optimized for good comfort driving ?

What, more sloppy/comfortable than fitted by the OEM ? one usually fits aftermarket adjustable coil over's for performance reasons, not to replicate the OEM stuff.

But hey it is your money so up to you. Edited by Spoonman

Well im not that experienced with suspension. Just thought i wanted it more plush over the bad roads at higher speeds. Thanks for the advice didnt knew that those aftermarket companies are all racing oriented only

So no advice for something smooth and plush ? Im not sure what the gen9 accord uses in term of suspension but sometimes i think the whole car will tear apart on rough roads (very instabile feeling)

Edited by wowjudo

I had dunlops on my honda once - they were the quietest I had but more quickly. I have Michelin PS3 now - these are brilliant in the wet, but seem a little noiser than other brands I've tried. They have a 520 treadwear rating though, so will last a long time. 

How much does full dynamatting cost? 

For my Maz 3 it is about Bt10,000 for material.

Has it made much of a difference?

Still awaiting material to arrive from the USA but on other vehicles I have done it has made a huge difference.

For my Maz 3 it is about Bt10,000 for material.

Has it made much of a difference?

Still awaiting material to arrive from the USA but on other vehicles I have done it has made a huge difference.

lets say you only insulate the doors and wheel wells. would that help alot or not worth if i wont go for the "full package" ?