Arizona execution takes two hours

webfact

Arizona execution takes two hours

FLORENCE: -- US death row inmate Joseph Wood has died after an execution in Arizona took nearly two hours to kill him.

Wood, a double murderer, was executed by lethal injection.

His lawyers filed an appeal for an emergency stay of execution, after he had been "gasping and snorting for more than an hour" in the death chamber.

They argued the extended execution process violated Wood's right to be executed in the absence of cruel and unusual punishment.

Wood was convicted of the 1989 murders of his girlfriend and her father
The execution should have taken 10 minutes, his lawyers said, but Wood, 55, gasped more than 600 times before he died.

It began at 13:52 (20:52 GMT), and Wood was pronounced dead at 15:49, one hour and 57 minutes later, according to the Arizona attorney-general's office.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28457460

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-24

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very civilised....NOT.

I am not against capital punishment. I do believe it should be instantaneous. The anguish of waiting for the sentence to be carried out is enough agony for anyone to endure I would imagine. Not sure if this would happen in any other nation around the world?

• Like 1

Maybe they need to start a 360 degree mentoring program! There are many inmates on death row who could tell you how to kill someone in 2 seconds. Maybe an opening for some death row consultancy here. How hard is it? Potassium Cyanide - bam game over within 20 secs.

• Like 1

Maybe they need to start a 360 degree mentoring program! There are many inmates on death row who could tell you how to kill someone in 2 seconds. Maybe an opening for some death row consultancy here. How hard is it? Potassium Cyanide - bam game over within 20 secs.

I'm with you on this. No doubt the use of Potassium Cyanide would be deemed as inhumane!

I'm with you on this. No doubt the use of Potassium Cyanide would be deemed as inhumane!

Potassium Cyanide was used in the U.S. for decades in the gas chambers to generate the poisonous gas "HCN" (Hydrogen Cyanide).

• Like 1

Wonder if those lawyers considered the manner of deaths that their clients victims suffered?

Life's a bitch but Karma will get you.

Hi

They were not obliged to take that into account. It had already been taken into account in the trials, the verdict and his execution. He still has a right to have it done in a certain way by the same law that convicted him.

TL

• Like 2

Wonder if those lawyers considered the manner of deaths that their clients victims suffered?

He was sentenced to death, not tortured to death; sad country.

By the sounds of it he was sentenced to death then tortured to death.

Have to agree with you, he put his ex through hell and shot her , after her pleading for him not to.... What a death ....

Actually, I think what ever method is used by the killer should be used on them, turn about is fair play.

Having got that out of the way. Put them in an Altitude Chamber, pump out all the Oxygen and they just go to sleep and die of Anoxcia/Hypoxia. The effects was demonstrated during my USAF Flying days. Very quick and not too unpleasant.

De-Capitation, Firing Squad is cheapist way. They probably think Hanging is cruel and unusual.

Honestly, I do not care too much, you do the deed you get the penalty. If you know ahead of time you have nothing to complain about. I am sure most criminals know what the State they are in uses to execute.

Very civilised....NOT.

I am not against capital punishment. I do believe it should be instantaneous. The anguish of waiting for the sentence to be carried out is enough agony for anyone to endure I would imagine. Not sure if this would happen in any other nation around the world?

The jury is out as to whether capital punishment should be instantaneous or even painless - after all, it is punishment.

For a better understanding and big picture view of the morality surrounding capital punishment in the USA, watch the following video

pt1-5 wai2.gif
  • Like 2

I am not an eye for an eye guy but they h are on death row because they have taken at least one life most likely in terrible circumstances

So the agony in waiting to be executed shouldn't be a factor in them getting a pardon

I doubt any one who humanely murdered a single person would ever get the death penalty eg turning life support off or giving them thesame stuff they use to execute people

Ever notice the liberal media never gives the details of how the murderer killed his victims? We are quick to go to war to impose democracy on countries that don't really want it and when democracy is used to let the voters approve of capitol punishment the media, lawyers, and politicions do everything they can to overturn the voter's decision. Thank God this killer will never kill again. Don't rest in peace but go directly to hell.

• Like 1

It is when I read things like this I am glad I believe in karma. Those that insist on torturing people in this manner thinking they are doing good will at least reap the consequences for that sometime.

• Like 2

I am not an eye for an eye guy but they h are on death row because they have taken at least one life most likely in terrible circumstances

That is not true.

Just look at the Joe Dick trial in Florida, or the West Memphis 3. With Damien luckily freed from death row after 18 years.... there are likely thousands of innocent people on death row in America.

I want referring to innocence or not, just referring to the fact that to get on death row, assuming you are guilty, you had to do some pretty horrible stuff, so the agony of waiting for death row shouldn't readout be a big deal

There is a way to kill people that is fast and helps them. However it gives them a high when dying and they go peacefully. But people don't want that it must be painful else dying is not seen as punishment. I believe it was with some sort of gas like carbon mono oxide. I remember having seen a documentary about it. I will look it up basically it was way to kill someone with gas and they would die in Euphory instead of pain. But then it was not painfulll enough for the pro dead group. For me dead is dead.

I don't get why its so hard to actually find a drug and administer that is going to kill you instantly, there are heaps to choose from

Except due to political correctness the drug companies have started to refuse to supply the ones they used previously which were quick.