Google Maps with Street View introduced to Laos

webfact

Google Maps with Street View introduced to Laos

laos-google-street-view-wpcf_728x413.jpg

VIENTIANE: -- Google yesterday introduced in Vientiane Google Maps with Street View, an innovation that will change the way Lao people and visitors from around the world view and experience the country and its culture.

“The Internet has become a valuable source of information for people around the world that are interested in visiting our country,” said Mr Phoukong Chithooplok, Director General of Cooperation and Planning Department, Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications.

“We believe that Street View imagery of Laos will create new ways for people around the world to experience Laos, and by doing so help create better awareness of this country and attract more tourism,” said Product Manager of Google Mr Divon Lan.

Google will begin driving cars mounted with special cameras in Vientiane to collect imagery for Google Maps with Street View. By bring street View to Laos, Google hope to create a new way of showcasing Lao’s unique culture to the world while helping strengthen the country’s already burgeoning tourism trade.

Google cars specially fitted with cameras will begin driving and taking street-level photographs of public locations across the country are starting with the Vientiane Capital. This activity represents a long-term investment with the objective of capturing imagery across Laos over the next few years.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/google-maps-street-view-introduced-laos/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-24

Wouldn't it be nice it Thailand would get over there fear and let them in here. I would love to have them do a street view of our house in Khon Kaen,so I could let the fokes back home were we live and what the house looked liked,but I guess that is just wishful thinking.

Yeah!!! Finally!!! NSA, CIA and Secret Service hittin' the streets of Laos. We all will feel so much safer and in-formed... thumbsup.gif

What do you mean finally. They have been there for all the years I have gone to Laos and that dates back to when there was still a French Legion Mess in town.

Wouldn't it be nice it Thailand would get over there fear and let them in here. I would love to have them do a street view of our house in Khon Kaen,so I could let the fokes back home were we live and what the house looked liked,but I guess that is just wishful thinking.

Street view is a great way quickly to find great places to rob, possible entry points, neighbors distance, etc.

My home is on private property, the public area ends at the street curb. Come in here with your cute camera car and leave without the camera and maybe even the car, if you can walk. Hospital pick up optional.

PS... take your own photo and send it to relatives; radical idea, I know, but it will work.

fear of what - they did Thailand 2 years ago at least

• Like 1

We live in the Uthai Thani province.

Google have made videos/photos of all the main roads and the street views are now available.

Recently they updated the 30 year old satellite views of our area and we can now see our homestead from above (that we built 7 years ago).

I'd imagine they'd still be working on the full Thailand street view and satellite updates..

I believe you can ask them to erase views of your property if you have a valid reason.

There is Google Street View in Thailand. There has been for years.