What exactly do the landlords pay per unit of electricity in Pattaya?

infinity11

OK in serviced apartments here in Pattaya you will usually pay around 10 Baht per unit. This is usually the set up and fits in nicely with Thai business ethics. The person you see behind the counter or the ''BOSS'' will be self employed either fully or partially.

Fully

If for example the building has 30 rooms and each room uses 3000 baht per month in electric. 1500 will go to the electric company and the other 1500 will go to the ''BOSS'' giving him a monthly salary of 45,000 baht. This is usually the scenario in good locations.

Partially

The ''BOSS'' will get a basic wage and his bonus is tied in with the electric and level of occupancy which are both symbiotic with regards to net monthly income. Both examples serve to achieve one goal and this is the more rooms that are occupied the more money the ''BOSS will earn.

As the owner of the building this makes good business sense in my opinion.

OK in serviced apartments here in Pattaya you will usually pay around 10 Baht per unit. This is usually the set up and fits in nicely with Thai business ethics. The person you see behind the counter or the ''BOSS'' will be self employed either fully or partially.

Fully

If for example the building has 30 rooms and each room uses 3000 baht per month in electric. 1500 will go to the electric company and the other 1500 will go to the ''BOSS'' giving him a monthly salary of 45,000 baht. This is usually the scenario in good locations.

Partially

The ''BOSS'' will get a basic wage and his bonus is tied in with the electric and level of occupancy which are both symbiotic with regards to net monthly income. Both examples serve to achieve one goal and this is the more rooms that are occupied the more money the ''BOSS will earn.

Was there really any need to introduce "Thai business ethics" into the equation? It's profit ethics and would happen in any country where it is allowed to happen. Foreign landlords are quite happy to get into this (extra) profit making side of renting too. That's why back in Australia (and I'm sure it's the same all over the world), renting is governed by strict regulations in an effort to keep landlords honest (and renters too). Rental bonds are paid to a 3rd party.

My previous landlord (British) justified it by explaining to me that I'm using his electrical appliances (they were fully furnished apartments), so consider the extra charge a "wear and tear" charge. Unfortunately I had a problem with an airconditioner not working properly (which he didn't fix) and it was really sucking electricity, which sucked, because my bills were usually over 4000 baht per month.

The takeaway here is for new comers to understand landlords will generally charge what they can get away with. Ask before you rent and walk away if you consider the per unit cost is too high.

For low consumption users, a higher per unit cost would probably be ok. There are many factors to consider, such as how much you like the apartment, how long you intend to stay and your electricity consumption habits.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

In the house we pay this month 3000, B for 660 units including Vat Taxes etc . That is 4.5B a unit and we have 2 air conditioners running all night and 1 all day.

In the UK the electricity is so expensive it is cheaper to buy air tickets to Thailand!

Edited by laolover88

Fully

Partially

Was there really any need to introduce "Thai business ethics" into the equation? It's profit ethics and would happen in any country where it is allowed to happen. Foreign landlords are quite happy to get into this (extra) profit making side of renting too. That's why back in Australia (and I'm sure it's the same all over the world), renting is governed by strict regulations in an effort to keep landlords honest (and renters too). Rental bonds are paid to a 3rd party.

My previous landlord (British) justified it by explaining to me that I'm using his electrical appliances (they were fully furnished apartments), so consider the extra charge a "wear and tear" charge. Unfortunately I had a problem with an airconditioner not working properly (which he didn't fix) and it was really sucking electricity, which sucked, because my bills were usually over 4000 baht per month.

The takeaway here is for new comers to understand landlords will generally charge what they can get away with. Ask before you rent and walk away if you consider the per unit cost is too high.

For low consumption users, a higher per unit cost would probably be ok. There are many factors to consider, such as how much you like the apartment, how long you intend to stay and your electricity consumption habits.

This is usually the set up and fits in nicely with Thai business ethics. As the owner of the building this makes good business sense in my opinion.

What are you insinuating old chap??????????

Edited by Equalizer

The standard, if there is one, seems to be about 4.7 per KWH. I have a friend on the dark side that when he developed his property he had to install power poles, wires, and a transformer for 240,000 baht. Now when neighbors want to tap into his transformer, he installs a meter and charges them 12 per KWH until he makes his money back. Either pay him, or buy your own transformer, wires, and poles. Oh, and have them installed. Seems like you do have a choice. In the city, it is a different matter entirely.

If your renting, the landlord can charge you "ANY" amount per unit of electricity they want if you are on a lease or any other agreement.

Maybe, but price charged per unit must be clearly stated in the rental contract.

Also true for water, phone, Internet...

Everything extra you have to pay for your apart must be in the contract, with their conditions & prices.

If you have to pay some extra yourself, it must be stated in the contract too.

Edit: Just received a new bill: 495.31 Baht / 123 Units = 4.03 B/kWh . Center Condo near Wat Chai.

Edited by Pattaya46

If your renting, the landlord can charge you "ANY" amount per unit of electricity they want if you are on a lease or any other agreement.

Maybe, but price charged per unit must be clearly stated in the rental contract.

Also true for water, phone, Internet...

Everything extra you have to pay for your apart must be in the contract, with their conditions & prices.

If you have to pay some extra yourself, it must be stated in the contract too.

Edit: Just received a new bill: 495.31 Baht / 123 Units = 4.03 B/kWh . Center Condo near Wat Chai.

Do you really think it matters what's on the contract and what "must" be on there? Good luck taking whoever to court to get your money back.

This is still the jungle here, we must not forget that.

There are still plenty of advantages living in the jungle. The advantages can go both ways.

If the meter is supplying only your apartment/house and was supplied by and is read directly by the PEA/MEA meter reader then you only pay what is on that bill. The landlord cannot take that bill and add to it and give it to you.

If, however the landlord has a single meter (provided and read by PEA/MEA) supplying several units and then has his own meters for individual apartments/houses then he can resell the electricity to you at an increased price.

Wife has several rental properties on a single PEA meter and charges each renter 5 baht/ unit based on each units own meter reading. (Actual PEA cost total bill divided by units is usually around 4.5-4.7 baht so do not think 5baht is extortionate.)[/quote Seriously? Landlords renting apartments and house's CAN charge you any amount per unit of electricity they want if you have a lease or any other agreement. In my case I rent a apartment in Nakhon Ratchasima and my per unit started at 6 baht per unit to 10 baht that I am paying now. My lease says I pay 6 baht but it doesn't matter what it says..the S.O.B. can still get away with it no matter what I say or do.

The point is, is that the owner of a condo usually pays a certain amount per m2/year for services e.g. elevator, security, pool, communal used electric, maintenance, etc.

If THAT is the case, you should receive the bill from the EGAT directly through the owner.

If that is NOT the case, and the condo is rented out by some dodgy management, all the services as mentioned above will be paid from the top-up on electric and water and possibly wifi-services.

I'm a landlord and also a homeowner! For Electric it is slightly higher for a apartment building and a personal house but not too much difference. My apartment the Utilities charges me with tax and etc.. like 4 baht.. my other charges 10 per unit so one would think we are making six baht a unit? The area is rented by Thais and there are no A/C in the place so only fans and from tenants moving in and out I noticed not all the lights bulbs although they are not burn out? All their bills are low but what upset me is I'm still running at a loss since a pump was put in to increase the water pressure to the units so the freaking thing is using up units since what the tenant use and what my bill from the Utility does not add up.

One thing about A/C, you got to keep them clean so what I do personally is open the unit and wash the screens every week and getting everyone use to not needing to turn the A/C down to 18 which basically cost you a mint to run? I play mind games in the past and I tell them it can't go any lower but in fact I had rise the level each few days now our A/C at night is set at 27/28 it is just all in the mind? if you want a lower bill before renting ask for the unit cost and ask the owner how often are the unit service.

Yes, that isn't done where the majority of us come from but we are not home!

Edited by thailand49

have a lease or any other agreement. In my case I rent a apartment in Nakhon Ratchasima and my per unit started at 6 baht per unit to 10 baht that I am paying now. My lease says I pay 6 baht but it doesn't matter what it says..the S.O.B. can still get away with it no matter what I say or do.

Some strong negotiation may be in order. You've been there for a long time, so the landlord expects you want to stay and takes you for granted. Perhaps if he finds out you're looking for a new place with cheaper electricity he may reconsider. Now, during the quiet season is the best time to look and the worst time for him to lose you.

If however you have a nice place at a good price, then just consider the higher electric as rent.

I'm a landlord and also a homeowner! For Electric it is slightly higher for a apartment building and a personal house but not too much difference. My apartment the Utilities charges me with tax and etc.. like 4 baht.. my other charges 10 per unit so one would think we are making six baht a unit? The area is rented by Thais and there are no A/C in the place so only fans and from tenants moving in and out I noticed not all the lights bulbs although they are not burn out? All their bills are low but what upset me is I'm still running at a loss since a pump was put in to increase the water pressure to the units so the freaking thing is using up units since what the tenant use and what my bill from the Utility does not add up.

One thing about A/C, you got to keep them clean so what I do personally is open the unit and wash the screens every week and getting everyone use to not needing to turn the A/C down to 18 which basically cost you a mint to run? I play mind games in the past and I tell them it can't go any lower but in fact I had rise the level each few days now our A/C at night is set at 27/28 it is just all in the mind? if you want a lower bill before renting ask for the unit cost and ask the owner how often are the unit service.

I know one thing for sure, you can come up with all the excuses in the world, but I wouldn't pay you 10 baht/unit. That would never happen.

All those communal costs are the costs of running a good building and keeping happy tenants. They should be included in the rent, not charged per unit as part of the electric bill. If you have a nice establishment with everything (water?) working well, you can charge more rent.

If there's a problem with water pressure, that's your problem. It's part of your responsibility to supply water to your apartments.

You can get away with it here as long as people are willing to pay you, but there's no need to keep making excuses for profiteering on electric bills. Try the same logic back in your home country. There's a reason why there's laws against this back at home.

So if I'm a tenant who likes to live in an icy cold apartment and I use, for example, 1200 kWh per month. You're going to make a profit of 6360 baht per month from me. Why are you trying to get people to turn up their thermostats when it means you'll make less profit?.... probably because they're complaining about their electricity bills because you're charging more than double the actual cost.... so to keep them quiet you're suggesting they try to use less units of electricity. Isn't that nice of you?

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

The standard, if there is one, seems to be about 4.7 per KWH. I have a friend on the dark side that when he developed his property he had to install power poles, wires, and a transformer for 240,000 baht. Now when neighbors want to tap into his transformer, he installs a meter and charges them 12 per KWH until he makes his money back. Either pay him, or buy your own transformer, wires, and poles. Oh, and have them installed. Seems like you do have a choice. In the city, it is a different matter entirely.

I owned my own 3 phase transformer and the contract i had with the electric company forbade me to sell electricity. i bet his says the same.

Edited by wolfmanjack

First of all.....landlords are trying to make extra money on electricity if you agree to pay them...not directly to the supplier...(once i was charged 20bht per unit ...in pattaya)

Second of all is higher usage and tariff goes higher ...coffee1.gif

First of all.....landlords are trying to make extra money on electricity if you agree to pay them...not directly to the supplier...(once i was charged 20bht per unit ...in pattaya)

Second of all is higher usage and tariff goes higher ...coffee1.gif

Which has already been explained numerous times and a very useful Metropolitan Electricity Authority online calculator link offered by Tywais (Thanks!) in post #8. It's worthwhile keeping this handy for the next "how much does electricity cost per unit thread smile.png" which pop up quite often.

The differences in tariff are however very small for normal usage. It's under 5 baht/kWh even at very high consumption.

Time for coffee.coffee1.gif

I would guess your landlord is paying from 5 to 7 baht per unit. I know there are 4 different meters that the electric company provides based on what type of dwelling it pertains to. The rates are different for each meter. I have have several meters installed over the years from them but not one like the one connected to a transformer which is likely that your landlord has if it is more than 7 or 8 units. If the usage is low for the month provided to the transformer it will be closer to 5 as it is progressive up to 7, this is how it was explained to my by one of my friends who works at the banglamung office.

Years ago I had a friend down in Railey bay in Krabi who had a small shop and since that ele. was generated by a generator they charged her 70 baht per unit. She would only turn lights on at night.

Just checked my bill, this month with Fuel adjustment and VAT 1 KW is 4.75 baht.

the total electrical usage was 1143 Kw, total bill 5,497 bahtj7

Ajacent house, 441 kw usage = 4.55 baht, but proportanly lower VAT and Fuel adjustment charges.Total bill 1,982

Compaired to 2 years ago almost 38% increase in electric cost. and when VAT goes up!

You also have to remember that the Owner must maintaine the power lines from the main meter to your house, plus if they own the transformer it cost them 400 baht a KVA deposit for the transformer.

Plus transformers have increased in Cost by over 50% in the last 18 months,

Copper hit a new high as did aluminum, oil is up, so insulation (on the wire) cost more.

Cable prices have also almost doubled in the last 2 years.

You figure it out, 5 baht is cheap now! plus now I have to go and pay the bill, no way to pay on line.

Try direct debit.

I know one thing for sure, you can come up with all the excuses in the world, but I wouldn't pay you 10 baht/unit. That would never happen.

All those communal costs are the costs of running a good building and keeping happy tenants. They should be included in the rent, not charged per unit as part of the electric bill. If you have a nice establishment with everything (water?) working well, you can charge more rent.

If there's a problem with water pressure, that's your problem. It's part of your responsibility to supply water to your apartments.

You can get away with it here as long as people are willing to pay you, but there's no need to keep making excuses for profiteering on electric bills. Try the same logic back in your home country. There's a reason why there's laws against this back at home.

So if I'm a tenant who likes to live in an icy cold apartment and I use, for example, 1200 kWh per month. You're going to make a profit of 6360 baht per month from me. Why are you trying to get people to turn up their thermostats when it means you'll make less profit?.... probably because they're complaining about their electricity bills because you're charging more than double the actual cost.... so to keep them quiet you're suggesting they try to use less units of electricity. Isn't that nice of you?

Where you from somewhere in the west... wait up and smell the coffee! when I read your comments you have no actual idea as to what you are talking about!

I have nothing to do with the units except paying for it to be built... you say it should be included in the rent get real? I managed a 20 unit building in the States before coming here and never once got a citation from the City or Building department and for your information in the west it can be included in your rent water but never Electric, very seldom is it ever included in the rent but there are exceptions. Here when they are build each unit has their own meter for both.

You have no idea out in the sticks and water line etc... are not the same in the City or Metro area some places you have to build tanks and bring in your own water. It is a insult to hear your B.S. and assumption because I take care of my tenants and they are all Thais very low income and even with the little rent they pay and i make sure they are comfortable better than the Thais themselves who I will general say they don't give a shit only want the rent.. this is want I complain to my wife often. The rate that is being charged is what my wife found out every building such as ours is being charged! My units are all full and when they are not I go in clean and repaint it myself each time and make sure everything is working to satisfaction I can tell you Thais give you a shit room and say " take it or leave it "

You might think your response is high and mighty but there is another size to Thailand here and that is the poor who rent for 2000 or less and if they get water they get it. When the water is cut off I truck it in at my expense and I put in the tank and pump so when the city who constantly for whatever reason cuts the water my tenants have water in the reserve tank that is brought to them by the pump. These many reasons is why I have a waiting list for my units by Thais.

These are not excuses these are facts... Good day and do me a favor don't response even if you have a urge to have the last word!

Where you from somewhere in the west... wait up and smell the coffee! when I read your comments you have no actual idea as to what you are talking about!

I have nothing to do with the units except paying for it to be built... you say it should be included in the rent get real? I managed a 20 unit building in the States before coming here and never once got a citation from the City or Building department and for your information in the west it can be included in your rent water but never Electric, very seldom is it ever included in the rent but there are exceptions. Here when they are build each unit has their own meter for both.

You have no idea out in the sticks and water line etc... are not the same in the City or Metro area some places you have to build tanks and bring in your own water. It is a insult to hear your B.S. and assumption because I take care of my tenants and they are all Thais very low income and even with the little rent they pay and i make sure they are comfortable better than the Thais themselves who I will general say they don't give a shit only want the rent.. this is want I complain to my wife often. The rate that is being charged is what my wife found out every building such as ours is being charged! My units are all full and when they are not I go in clean and repaint it myself each time and make sure everything is working to satisfaction I can tell you Thais give you a shit room and say " take it or leave it "

You might think your response is high and mighty but there is another size to Thailand here and that is the poor who rent for 2000 or less and if they get water they get it. When the water is cut off I truck it in at my expense and I put in the tank and pump so when the city who constantly for whatever reason cuts the water my tenants have water in the reserve tank that is brought to them by the pump. These many reasons is why I have a waiting list for my units by Thais.

These are not excuses these are facts... Good day and do me a favor don't response even if you have a urge to have the last word!

(If you can't handle a response, it works better if you don't bait (and flame) the person you're replying to).

Thanks for clearing up all the confusion though.... If you'd mentioned you're renting cheap apartments "in the sticks" to Thais we could have avoided this unpleasant conversation as it's hardly relevant to foreigners renting apartments in Pattaya. Why would anyone on the Pattaya forum even be interested in that? Perhaps you could post on a provincial forum on a farming thread.

You are dead right - I don't know jack about renting out farmhouses. I'll leave you to it.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

(If you can't handle a response, it works better if you don't bait (and flame) the person you're replying to).

Thanks for clearing up all the confusion though.... If you'd mentioned you're renting cheap apartments "in the sticks" to Thais we could have avoided this unpleasant conversation as it's hardly relevant to foreigners renting apartments in Pattaya. Why would anyone on the Pattaya forum even be interested in that? Perhaps you could post on a provincial forum on a farming thread.

You are dead right - I don't know jack about renting out farmhouses. I'll leave you to it.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

I/m sure your assumptions are as stupid as you look in person! Remember this is not your country and making assumptions that the conversation pertain to only foreigners renting and paying was not noted in the post! If I'm flaming you that is exactly how I took you post response assuming because the charges was 10 baht that I was a slum lord or something as I noted to you. your response or assumption was a insult to me and that is how I exactly took it. This is a general forum where issue are discussed in Thailand! the majority of the questions and answers are related to just that and NOT TOPIC THAT DIRECTLY HAS TO DO WITH FOREIGNERS ONLY!

I/m sure your assumptions are as stupid as you look in person!

I don't know.. if quality of posts has any influence on looks, you won't be looking too hot yourself either.

This is a general forum where issue are discussed in Thailand! the majority of the questions and answers are related to just that and NOT TOPIC THAT DIRECTLY HAS TO DO WITH FOREIGNERS ONLY!

Actually this is the Pattaya forum. The general topics forum can be found here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/2-general-topics/

.. and the farming in Thailand forum here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/104-farming-in-thailand-forum/

Edited by tropo

I have own at condo in Cha-am and I am charged 4.1 bt per unit.. However tennants are charged whatever they can screw out of you. Usually in Cha-am 6 bt to 8bt a unit. A multiple owner in my building charges 6bt and most people think that is cheap and reasonable .

My wife and I recently arranged a condo/room in Huahin for 4 months. The standard price in Huahin within 2 k's of Market Village was 8 bt.. We only found one business comprising of 3 towers who charged less at 7 bt...a fair way up off soy 88 West

Like other readers I have heard stories of people paying 6000 bt rent plus 4000 bt for electricity.

The answer is it seems is that you only pay the correct amount if you have your electricity account in your name. Good luck