Buying Land In Northern Thailand

My thai girlfriend has recently expressed interest in buying a 7-rai piece of land, for rice cultivation & poultry, in the northern thai province of Phayao. I am thinking of buying the land as a present for her and her family. My concern is not being cheated(as I'm a farang) and wanna know the PROCESS of buying land in this part of Thailand. For the land, I intend to put it in my girl's name.

The land in question has been initially offered at 280,000 baht (@ 40k per rai) but has since been bargained down to 210,000 baht. Currently, the land is being used for rice cultivation, duck and "Pla Duk" rearing.

Is 210,000 a fair price to pay in this part of Thailand?

Thanks. I look forward to your inputs.

Cheers,

Bankerboy

Where we stay in Issan, farmland ranges in price from about 15k - 35k per rai.

Prices depend upon a number of factors -

Is the land next / close to a road?

Is there electricity close by (or coming soon!!)

The people selling the land's financial situation - do they need the cah quickly?

As you say it the land obviously has a pond within it - this is a benefit - as it costs a little to have it dug out in the first place.

I would ask about other land for sale nearby and this will give you an idea of prices.

However it sounds a reasonable price for a fairly small investment.

Hi Bankerboy!

Well u sure are right to inquire before u buy the land.

Well, my wife is from Ban Dok Bua in Phayao, and we have the whole family staying there. I myself am an Indian Staying with my wife and kids in India. I could arrange for some of her relatives to help you with the Price troubleshooting in case u want. I can be reached at [email protected].

This way u can be sure that u will get the ACTUAL CORRECT Price for the land that u want to buy.

Where we stay in Issan, farmland ranges in price from about 15k - 35k per rai.

Prices depend upon a number of factors -

Is the land next / close to a road?

Is there electricity close by (or coming soon!!)

The people selling the land's financial situation - do they need the cah quickly?

As you say it the land obviously has a pond within it - this is a benefit - as it costs a little to have it dug out in the first place.

I would ask about other land for sale nearby and this will give you an idea of prices.

:o Thanks craftRobin & uComservices!

Your comments are appreciated!

The land in question;

- is located in Ban Pong, Phayao

- is adjacent to the road,

- electricity poles are by the roadside

- and the people seems quite needy of the money(i guess coz Songkran's nearby)

- there is also a pond, as Im told, as they rear "PLa Duks"(snakeheads).

While I can be very careful, i am skeptical abt their land titles & ownership document that come with it. Anyone know what kind of documents one signs & gets from the purchase of the land? Im told by a colleague that one needs to do a transfer at their provincial land office to do the title deed transfer while im told by another thai it can just be done at the presence of another third party witness.

The price is A-ok with me. Just dont wanna conned into buying something to find out later that i dont actually OWN it.

Bro ucomservices, Thanks for the offer of using our relatives to chk on the prices. Dunt wanna make them go thru all the trouble. BTW, which part of India are u residing? I've been recently to Mumbai & Delhi and its very nice, interesting and looks very livable now. esp. Mumbai, its changed a lot since my last 10 yrs i was there.

God Bless,

Bankerboy

:o Thanks craftRobin & uComservices!

Your comments are appreciated!

The land in question;

- is located in Ban Pong, Phayao

- is adjacent to the road,

- electricity poles are by the roadside

- and the people seems quite needy of the money(i guess coz Songkran's nearby)

- there is also a pond, as Im told, as they rear "PLa Duks"(snakeheads).

While I can be very careful, i am skeptical abt their land titles & ownership document that come with it. Anyone know what kind of documents one signs & gets from the purchase of the land? Im told by a colleague that one needs to do a transfer at their provincial land office to do the title deed transfer while im told by another thai it can just be done at the presence of another third party witness.

The price is A-ok with me. Just dont wanna conned into buying something to find out later that i dont actually OWN it.

Bro ucomservices, Thanks for the offer of using our relatives to chk on the prices. Dunt wanna make them go thru all the trouble. BTW, which part of India are u residing? I've been recently to Mumbai & Delhi and its very nice, interesting and looks very livable now. esp. Mumbai, its changed a lot since my last 10 yrs i was there.

God Bless,

Bankerboy

The owner of the land in question should have a land title deed with a copy at the provincial land office. If you purchase the land, you should always transfer at the provincial land office to make it official. At the same time, they can verify the legitamacy of the title deed.

If you purchase the land, you should always transfer at the provincial land office to make it official.
This is also where tax and fees will have to be paid so agreement on who is paying them needs to be established.

My thai girlfriend has recently expressed interest in buying a 7-rai piece of land, for rice cultivation & poultry, in the northern thai province of Phayao. I am thinking of buying the land as a present for her and her family. My concern is not being cheated(as I'm a farang) and wanna know the PROCESS of buying land in this part of Thailand. For the land, I intend to put it in my girl's name.

You are cheated,...

But it is a gift, isn't it, so why bother?

:o

My wife is from Maung Phayao. Phayao is a very poor province with much natural beauty and truly great people. Having said that often people sell their land for things like a new motorbike or a car. It's a lot better than the old practice that Phayao province is known for... selling their daughters.

Most land in the north has it's corners set from arial surveys and as such you should have the physical corners agreed to by the adjacent landowners before you purchase the land.. Don't take the "it goes to that bush over there" as the truth, because it probably isn't. Title Deeds are given only for areas which have been surveyed. For areas which have not been surveyed, there are other documents for land possession such as evidence of the possession of the right to utilise the land or other interests in the land. These documents are called "Nor Sor Sam (3) and Nor Sor Sam (3) Kor". Unlike the Title Deeds, these Nor Sor documents are issued to show the possessors' exploitation of the land. These documents do not provide ownership rights, as Title deeds do, but they can still be registered for transfer of the lands for which they are issued. i think you can find out at the provincial office in Maung Phayao, the manager speaks very good english so he will explain things to you if you ask. BY the way you as a farang can't own the land or inherit it, there is a work around if you are interested PM me and I'll clue you in.

It might also be a good idea to use a lawyer it will probably cost you about 10 to 15,000 Bt. The problem is I don't know any that speak english well in Phayao so you might have to deal with someone in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.

200,000 bt is not too bad for 7 rai.. maybe a bit high but a lot depends on the lay of the land and any buildings, power, roads, drainage, water etc.

Later

Martin

Dear Bankerboy,

I would suggest that if you want to give your wife or girlfriend a present, that she and her family finds out the necessary information. I suppose she is Thai. It is much easier for her, because she speaks the language.

The only thing for you to do is to give her the money. The price of the land will be related to the kind of land title on it.

Good luck with the rice-farming and poultry. It will be nice to have visitors and be able to tell them 'now you are eating rice cultivated on the land I gave to my fiancee and the chicken you are eating grew up on her land as well.

Maybe you can work sometimes on the land as well. It gives a great feeling.

Good luck!

L.

Dear Bankerboy,

Do you now that you, aside of the 'iron buffalo', the 'rot thai', now also can buy light harvesting machines? The engine is a little bit smaller than the ones of the 'rot's', but they work great.

I am not sure if you are an American or a European. In the latter case you might prefer to join the collective system of farming in the village. Then you just have the hardships and enjoyment of 'tam ngan' which has not only the connotation of 'working' but also of 'partying' in the sense of doing things together.

But you can also try to show the people of the village how things can be done better than they ever did before. If it doesn't work out (and you were not too loud about going to do things better) you stll can join the village community.

Don't approach your fellow farmers with the attitude ' I am an American and the productivity on our rice-fields is ten times higher than on yours' (even if it under certain circumstances is true). Present yourself as a person who wants to learn, show a humble attitude towards your fellow farmers.

And if you can introduce new technology, do it together with your neighbour and give him the credits.

Please don't understand me wrong, but I have seen many good-willing Americans being too loud about everything in their own country. Farmers are conservative, in America, in Europe and also in Thailand.

I envy you and wish you all the luck of the world!

J.

But they are great people! I gratulate you with joining them.

This way u can be sure that u will get the ACTUAL CORRECT Price for the land that u want to buy.

Hi Bankerboy!

Well u sure are right to inquire before u buy the land.

Well, my wife is from Ban Dok Bua in Phayao, and we have the whole family staying there. I myself am an Indian Staying with my wife and kids in India. I could arrange for some of her relatives to help you with the Price troubleshooting in case u want. I can be reached at [email protected].

Mr. Ucomservices,

I think it is great that you want to ask family-members to help Bankerboy to buy land for the right price. That makes every contributor to thaivisacom i a way a friend of you and your family. A friend you really want to do something for, even if you never met him or her.

Dear Ucomservives, you really show the right spirit! This is empathy, this is solidarity, this is interhuman friendship based in cyberspace!

Maybe the fiancee of Bankerboy doesn't really want to be involved in business.

I am sure Bankerboy could transfer the money directly to you and you would ask your family to take care of things, so Bankerboys fiancee would not have to bother.

It's great! On behalf of everybody: Thanks Ucomservives!

J.

My wife is from Maung Phayao. Phayao is a very poor province with much natural beauty and truly great people. Having said that often people sell their land for things like a new motorbike or a car. It's a lot better than the old practice that Phayao province is known for... selling their daughters.

Most land in the north has it's corners set from arial surveys and as such you should have the physical corners agreed to by the adjacent landowners before you purchase the land.. Don't take the "it goes to that bush over there" as the truth, because it probably isn't. Title Deeds are given only for areas which have been surveyed. For areas which have not been surveyed, there are other documents for land possession such as evidence of the possession of the right to utilise the land or other interests in the land. These documents are called "Nor Sor Sam (3) and Nor Sor Sam (3) Kor". Unlike the Title Deeds, these Nor Sor documents are issued to show the possessors' exploitation of the land. These documents do not provide ownership rights, as Title deeds do, but they can still be registered for transfer of the lands for which they are issued. i think you can find out at the provincial office in Maung Phayao, the manager speaks very good english so he will explain things to you if you ask. BY the way you as a farang can't own the land or inherit it, there is a work around if you are interested PM me and I'll clue you in.

It might also be a good idea to use a lawyer it will probably cost you about 10 to 15,000 Bt. The problem is I don't know any that speak english well in Phayao so you might have to deal with someone in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.

200,000 bt is not too bad for 7 rai.. maybe a bit high but a lot depends on the lay of the land and any buildings, power, roads, drainage, water etc.

Later

Martin

First and foremost, thanks to all, notably, Limbo, lukamar, hkthai & lopburi3, for your insights, suggestions & advice.

You guys have certainly given me more workable info that the local thais that give me 1000 different answers to my land purchase.

I have wired the money to my gal and she has in turn wired thru ATM to her mum who will purchase the land in her name.

I have collated all your suggestions and advice into a brief executive summary in my "best effort" translated Thai. Had faxed it to my gal in Bangkok who will inturn pass it to her mum in Phayao.

I will keep this forum updated on how it goes.

Once again, thank you all for your generous and insightful input.

Khob kun & Best regards,

Dr James a.k.a Bankerboy

Bankerboy

Better to have it done at land office. If 3rd party witness have village headman do. most important though is make sure the land is not SOR POR KOR.

sounds about the right price mate, it isnt a large sum either - good luck with it all.

Its nice to see you have been told accurate prices - makes me feel warm and fuzzy - she sounds like an honest girl.

Make sure its in the land office, then you can be fairly sure, everything is accurate.

I have just gone through a court battle with the Thai Government, regarding my company buying land, that was registered as a chanoet title by the government.

I was told a year later, the papers were a flying Sor Kor 1 title deeds and the paper was a forgery - so after a 10 month battle - we won :o , because the government (land department), authorised the chanoet title pillars on the land ,and did the transfer. :D:D:D

• 3 weeks later...