What is this Burmese Appetizer called?

arunsakda

Somebody brought from a nearby restaurant stall

whilst we were eating some Yakitori at a friends local local place.

Very good, could not stop snacking on it.

A mixture of peanuts, salt, oil, chillies and a little cabbage.

Did not catch the name.

[attachment=276766:5710486.jpg]

Edited by arunsakda

my thai girlfriend calls it yam paamaa. It is actually fermented tea leaves and not cabbage. You can usually find it in some of the daily outdoor markets. A lot of the samlor drivers that sell foodstuffs to the burmese workers also sell packages of it. You are supposed to dice some tomato and garlic to mix with it before you serve it. My girlfriend has bought it at the talaat na (outdoor market) on Mondays and Thursdays next to the muay thai camp close to wisit road in Rawai.

I love that stuff.  Used to call it a tea leaf salad.  Only problem is, don't eat it anytime you plan to get some sleep afterwards.  I was wide eyed for several hours!

Mmm, one of my favourite Asian "salads", up there with somtam for sure. There's a similar version using tamarind leaves which is also recommended. 

This dish was a real eye opener and a great introduction to Burmese food which, although no expert, I'm generally very fond of.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also heard a lot about the burmese tea leaf salad. Anyone know a place in bangkok selling it?

Sukhumvit soi 71 seems to be a hotspot, and as far as that particular tea leaf dish goes it's likely they'll all sell it. 

My regular Burmese place (about 4 years ago now) was called Mary's Kitchen, about 1km down on the lefthand side, pretty much opposite soi 22.

A couple of others: 

http://migrationology.com/2012/01/burmese-street-food-in-bangkok-with-a-touch-of-motherly-love/

http://www.eatingthaifood.com/2011/09/panta-video-store-serving-indian-nepalese-and-burmese-food/

And I found this:

"...some of the most authentic can be found on Soi Ramkhamhaeng 24, Yak 34. Here, there’s a handful of small eateries which cater to the many Burmese students and exchange teachers attending the nearby ABAC. One of the most popular is the family-run Shwe Myanmar which has served homegrown recipes here through a khao gaeng-like set-up for around two years now". 

There used to be places around the Burmese embassy as well, Sathorn area, although I never tried them.

Good luck smile.png

• Like 1