parking a car long term up on blocks....

Having never done this before...whats best place to place the blocks on the front end.....got a pic of the undercarriage, but cannot upload just yet.

For a vigo 4wd pickup.

There seems to be a few different points of support you could put it.....

Won't have axle stands....so blocks it is.

Looking under there yesterday, there is a Y shaped arm from the wheel, which is below the spring area....that looked the best area, but as it moves up and down in those joints, it looks like the wheel will hang down a lot, will have to lift it a lot to get it up clear of the floor.....does this sound right ?

What do you call long term?

I have a Isuzu V-Cross in Thailand, I leave it from 4 to 6 months at a time whilst back home and have done so for the last 10 yrs. I also have an Isuzu D-Max in OZ and do exactly the same to it as explained below. 

I fill the tank up, this stops condensation forming in the tank over time, blow the tyres up to 50PSI this eliminates flat spots, let them back down on your return.

Lock it up, disconnect the battery terminals and all is well.

• Like 2

Won't have axle stands....so blocks it is.

Looking under there yesterday, there is a Y shaped arm from the wheel, which is below the spring area....that looked the best area, but as it moves up and down in those joints, it looks like the wheel will hang down a lot, will have to lift it a lot to get it up clear of the floor.....does this sound right ?

No !!  place your wood blocks ( wood good) under the axles as you would axle stands, google it.biggrin.png

^ I'll post a pic later as does not seem to be anywhere such as you mention to do this....

And for post above above....long term as in ....much longer than 6 months....possibly year or 3, but maybe trip back inbetween...who knows.....we don't

I would get a deep clean on it and spray with wd40.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

good idea....getting it spray cleaned prior to parking, so can get them to pay more attention to underneath.

But based on those pics of front end, where to sit the blocks exactly

Close to the front wheel so there's no suspension travel.

For pete sake do you live anywhere near Sukhothai I'll come and do it for you. laugh.png laugh.png

• Like 1

lol...no, long way away.

Dont be concerned...i have a fair idea, just never done it before for long term and want to make sure in right spot as wont be back to change it for awhile.....just that the undercarriage has changed some what...or because it is an auto, never had an auto 4wd before....to all the ones I had many moons ago.....dont believe ever had one with that forked arm.

and I ain't a mechanics arsehole, so that might explain it a little...

Edited by Showbags

Still say sell it. You will be better off.. I presume it's under cover?

Is there a subliminal message in the title or somethin ?.......

Yes, it is locked up in a shed....a very good shed too.....shed not for sale either

Edited by Showbags

Still say sell it. You will be better off.. I presume it's under cover?

Is there a subliminal message in the title or somethin ?.......

Yes, it is locked up in a shed....a very good shed too.....shed not for sale either

Block in this area , under the lower control arm , so the wheel is staying in it's normal operating position , just high enough to keep the tyre off the ground . Give her a good bath before you go , deodorizer in the cab , change the oil and disconnect the battery .

• Like 2

Thanks for that AR.....exactly what I wanted as was not sure if to put it on the top of the Y section, across the 2 joints, or where the Y junction meets.

Might not have time to change the oil, but a service was just 5k ago.

An engineer friend told me 2 extra things to do....do not put the hand brake on, can seize and as you said, change the oil but use a 100% synthetic one...no idea why or what the diff is to normal oil used.

Also going into the aircon place today to seal off an area down there somewhere where rats get into the filter area...

Edited by Showbags

You should be doing oil every 5k.

German fellow I know sez he used to work for Audi. Reckons 50,000 km oil change interval. No problem ... :-D

One extreme to the other.laugh.png

18000k or 1 year for a late petrol car.

12000k or 1year for diesels.

To stay on topic change the oil and filter when you get back and drive it off the blocks.biggrin.png

German fellow I know sez he used to work for Audi. Reckons 50,000 km oil change interval. No problem ... :-D

One extreme to the other.laugh.png

18000k or 1 year for a late petrol car.

12000k or 1year for diesels.

To stay on topic change the oil and filter when you get back and drive it off the blocks.biggrin.png

Remember to put the wheels back on ........ presuming you took them off!

Yeah I reckon the Audi might be using a bit better oil than an old clunker Vigo.... but I'll call bullcrap on the 50k oil change though.

• Like 1

5k is usually the fanatic mechanical backgrounded owners....10k is no problem for the norm.

Mine now done 190k's and changed every 10 and still runs like new...5 is overkill in my opinion and a pile of wasted oil into the environment for nothing.

• Like 1

Yeah I reckon the Audi might be using a bit better oil than an old clunker Vigo.... but I'll call bullcrap on the 50k oil change though.

5k is usually the fanatic mechanical backgrounded owners....10k is no problem for the norm.

Mine now done 190k's and changed every 10 and still runs like new...5 is overkill in my opinion and a pile of wasted oil into the environment for nothing.

That's me . But I have always worked in harsh remote conditions , it's not only about changing the oil ,

servicing a vehicle every 5K enables me to check other things as well , such as belts , tyres , air filters etc

I have worked on vehicles ( Toyota's ) that have done 500k and still running sweet , I doubt that could be achieved by servicing every 10K