Two Japanese tourists injured in train derailment in Ratchaburi

Lite Beer

I wonder sometimes about some farang posters on TV..I could understand if they live in Europe or North America & never come to Thailand..being ignorant would be normal.

Thailand has old train track & the infrastructure definitely needs upgrading...but then so does many countries.

Nice list here since 2010 of world train accidents. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_accidents_%282010%E2%80%93present%29

The US ...According to the Federal Railroad Administration, in an average year in the United States, more than 3,000 train accidents occur leading to death, injury and property damage.

National statistics show that every two hours there is a train accident in the USA. Almost all of these accidents involve some type of property damageand in some cases injury and death. http://railroadclaims.com/railroad-accident-statistics/

Canada has over 1000 train accidents a year.

2,068 significant railway accidents were reported in 28 EU countries in 2012 . http://www.smartrailworld.com/blog/2013/10/22/collisions-and-derailments-on-eu-railways-on-rise-in-2012-but-lowest-death-toll-recorded-since-2006

Thailand is a 3rd world country..it doesn't have the resources of North America or Europe..

Train fares are cheap here..ok old track..old trains...been the same for years.

If everything about Thailand is bad I wonder why some farang live here.

I have taken the train many many times in Thailand..for the price I have no complaints.

Maybe if they quadruple the fares & fix the tracks everyone will be happy...

somehow I doubt it.

I think you are missing the point. Of course there will be more reported accidents in Europe and North America when you consider the infrastructure involved and also the way accident reporting even minor incidents are dealt with.

I worked in a job where preventative maintenance was a core part of my job almost throughout my entire career. It wasn't something that was ignored until things went wrong. I have a German friend who has worked here in the Far East and Middle East for many years as a mechanical engineer and this was his biggest compalint. Why do anything, it's working isn't it. He has been asked many times to resume working for a large agricultural machinery supplier here in Thailand but just a simple thing like taking a car from the car pool involves a major inspection and several hours of work before he will even take a car out on the road. No oil in the engine, no spare tyre, existing tyres unroadworthy etc. I listen to a long list of complaints each time all, why do anything it's working.

There are people paid to do these jobs, whether it's the klong choked with weeds, the ferry with too many passengers on board, it's not even a question of there being no laws there are plenty of them in place it's just the attitude to enforcing them. I have a Thai police friend senior rank who will not even travel on the BTS who expressed the same reservations to me so it isn't just us farangs who are concerned about this attitude.

• Like 2

I know the state rail is always hard up for cash but may I suggest an economical mode of track inspection vehicle that could be deployed in hundreds of locations where track inspections are required.

post-63954-0-67351700-1406506141_thumb.j

• Like 2

The Eastern and Oriental Express, very over priced.

You do realize that the Eastern and Oriental Express is NOT a commuter train. Right?

It is a luxury train and a trip into the past when travel, service and leisure were synonymous. It is akin to sailing on the QE2 or a flight on the Concord. Expensive, yes, but well worth the experience.

For the record, I have done all three. Worth every penny.

• Like 1

I din't know there was a sleeper service, or any express service. between SIN and BKK.

It is not a commuter service. It is a luxury train for tourists. Last time I went it was 100,000 baht for the cheapest one way ticket, and that was some years ago.

It is also not an express service. It takes about 3 days to get from Singapore to Bangkok. Of cource, that involves some lengthy stops along the way for sightseeing.

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 1

"The train service from Ban Pong to the Nam Tok station in Sai Yoke district was temporarily suspended pending maintenance."

I think its a bit late in the day for maintenance. The preference for doing something only when it is broken is truly remarkable here.

Amazingly, there actually is a Thai word for "maintenance". I looked it up. It exists.

It must one of those "inactive posts". cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The Eastern and Oriental Express, very over priced.

You do realize that the Eastern and Oriental Express is NOT a commuter train. Right?

It is a luxury train and a trip into the past when travel, service and leisure were synonymous. It is akin to sailing on the QE2 or a flight on the Concord. Expensive, yes, but well worth the experience.

For the record, I have done all three. Worth every penny.

I think Concorde came off the rails too.

I wonder sometimes about some farang posters on TV..I could understand if they live in Europe or North America & never come to Thailand..being ignorant would be normal.

Thailand has old train track & the infrastructure definitely needs upgrading...but then so does many countries.

Nice list here since 2010 of world train accidents. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_accidents_%282010%E2%80%93present%29

The US ...According to the Federal Railroad Administration, in an average year in the United States, more than 3,000 train accidents occur leading to death, injury and property damage.

National statistics show that every two hours there is a train accident in the USA. Almost all of these accidents involve some type of property damageand in some cases injury and death. http://railroadclaims.com/railroad-accident-statistics/

2,068 significant railway accidents were reported in 28 EU countries in 2012 . http://www.smartrailworld.com/blog/2013/10/22/collisions-and-derailments-on-eu-railways-on-rise-in-2012-but-lowest-death-toll-recorded-since-2006

Thailand is a 3rd world country..it doesn't have the resources of North America or Europe..

I have taken the train many many times in Thailand..for the price I have no complaints.

somehow I doubt it.

I think you are missing the point. Of course there will be more reported accidents in Europe and North America when you consider the infrastructure involved and also the way accident reporting even minor incidents are dealt with.

I worked in a job where preventative maintenance was a core part of my job almost throughout my entire career. It wasn't something that was ignored until things went wrong. I have a German friend who has worked here in the Far East and Middle East for many years as a mechanical engineer and this was his biggest compalint. Why do anything, it's working isn't it. He has been asked many times to resume working for a large agricultural machinery supplier here in Thailand but just a simple thing like taking a car from the car pool involves a major inspection and several hours of work before he will even take a car out on the road. No oil in the engine, no spare tyre, existing tyres unroadworthy etc. I listen to a long list of complaints each time all, why do anything it's working.

There are people paid to do these jobs, whether it's the klong choked with weeds, the ferry with too many passengers on board, it's not even a question of there being no laws there are plenty of them in place it's just the attitude to enforcing them. I have a Thai police friend senior rank who will not even travel on the BTS who expressed the same reservations to me so it isn't just us farangs who are concerned about this attitude.

I wasn't trying to say traveling by train in Thailand is safer than the US or Europe..just that even in the western world with all the pre checks,expertise & resources..there are still train accidents for various reasons...such as train going too fast,human mistakes,mechanical fatigue etc.

But also because as in the OP that isn't very informative ...2 japanese tourists are slightly hurt in a train derailment...slightly hurt?..what's that? sore arm?..broken leg?..a bruise?

So because a incident happens in Thailand the ....posts that chances of train accident is 90% ......to fixing the train rails with Japanese & prisoners referring to the Japanese Railway war camps 70 years ago,.....Thai management need to be replaced with Farang etc.

Walking across the road in Thailand is less safe than western countries...if one didn't know that ..before they came to Thailand..or once they are here..would be idiotic.

I have traveled the railways in Thailand for over 20 years..never been in an accident..could happen on my next trip..who knows...

I chose to live here...it's about expectations...if you want the same as your home country...it's not going to happen..

If you want safe travel..there's planes..but then you have to get to the airport somehow..cars ,motorcycles,vans buses..

Stay in your room..don't go out..to be safe....

If you have high expectations that you will be 100% safe in Thailand.....you probably will be disappointed.

Where I live back home..there are bears n the woods...if you walk in the woods & a bear might kill you..what do you do?...kill all the bears...don't walk in the woods?

Life is a risk...flying to Thailand is a risk just in the air..once you'r hear..there's danger everywhere.

If you don't know the risks..or won't accept the risks.

I'll still travel Thailand trains...chances of getting eaten by a bear back home or a train accident in Thailand is still slim.

How many Thais were injured? Oh, we don't care about them; only the foreign tourists.

I was thinking exactly that when I read the article. I skimmed it again, sure that I missed the information about other passengers, such as, "There were no other injuries," or, "Fifteen other passengers were also taken to hospital."

Goofy reporting.

I think that most of the " negative posts " about Thailand's fantastic Railway are actually posted by the " expats " who have probably never even travelled by train in Thailand.These types i would describe as the " non adventurous " type of farang that perhaps very rarely leave the house/condo into the " outside world ". ( perhaps stuck indoors all day watching " Richard & Judy " and facebook "...)

Its a great " outdoor lifestyle with glorious sunshine " here in Thailand and there really is no better way to travel than "by train "

farang jaidee wai2.gif

somehow I doubt it.

I wasn't trying to say traveling by train in Thailand is safer than the US or Europe..just that even in the western world with all the pre checks,expertise & resources..there are still train accidents for various reasons...such as train going too fast,human mistakes,mechanical fatigue etc.

But also because as in the OP that isn't very informative ...2 japanese tourists are slightly hurt in a train derailment...slightly hurt?..what's that? sore arm?..broken leg?..a bruise?

So because a incident happens in Thailand the ....posts that chances of train accident is 90% ......to fixing the train rails with Japanese & prisoners referring to the Japanese Railway war camps 70 years ago,.....Thai management need to be replaced with Farang etc.

Walking across the road in Thailand is less safe than western countries...if one didn't know that ..before they came to Thailand..or once they are here..would be idiotic.

I have traveled the railways in Thailand for over 20 years..never been in an accident..could happen on my next trip..who knows...

I chose to live here...it's about expectations...if you want the same as your home country...it's not going to happen..

If you want safe travel..there's planes..but then you have to get to the airport somehow..cars ,motorcycles,vans buses..

Stay in your room..don't go out..to be safe....

If you have high expectations that you will be 100% safe in Thailand.....you probably will be disappointed.

Where I live back home..there are bears n the woods...if you walk in the woods & a bear might kill you..what do you do?...kill all the bears...don't walk in the woods?

Life is a risk...flying to Thailand is a risk just in the air..once you'r hear..there's danger everywhere.

If you don't know the risks..or won't accept the risks.

I'll still travel Thailand trains...chances of getting eaten by a bear back home or a train accident in Thailand is still slim.

Sorry but I still think you are missing the point. Of course there are still going to be accidents wherever you are. Life is a risk the moment you step out of your house. My point is that we minimize those risks often learning from the bad experiences of the past. However if you are responsible for some machinery, infrastructure etc and are paid for that responsibility then waiting for it to go wrong before you do anything is going to lead to injury and loss of life. Only a short time ago the Bangkok Post posted a picture of a klong completely choked with weeds. The point of that article was that it is no good waiting for a flood to do something about that. Just as the Bangkok Metropolitan authority now takes preemptive action with their drainage system or at least we are assured that they do. I think you will find that there are people responsible for such work who fail to do it and I am not just talking about the poorly paid guy who goes along the track.

That's the problem with Thailand...they are the only country in the world that has train derailments & accidents.

June 12 ..The Transportation Safety Board says fatigue caused a wheel to fail on a freight train that derailed earlier this year in northern New Brunswick, sparking a fire that burned for days. http://www.ctvnews.ca/hot-topics/Tags/Train%20derailment

Only one thing worse than a tired wheel and that is no tracks at all.

Yes, iphad, we do get your point.

Never been on a train in Thailand and i never plan to get on one, for this very reason.

Go on, get a life and get aboard a train. Be adventurous. Do you travel by car or other public transport? Rhetorical question, but I am sure you get my drift.

I have travelled from BKK to the Cambodian border by train ( 2nd class I think - 100bht) no problem - just so slow that it could never fall over!

The whole countries in disrepair !

2010 flood damage to footpaths in bangkok still haven't been fixed ,most dangerous footpaths in the world to walk along,

Yingluk and her corrupt associates have left the place in ruins !!!

The roads are a disgrace !

Money needs to be spent on infrastructure ,not holidays for polititions.....

The army took over a bit too late ,but at least they are forcing the police to do their jobs,maybe now they can fix the rest of the problems Yingluk and her poxy brother created with their incompetancy.....

How many Thais were injured? Oh, we don't care about them; only the foreign tourists.

But, according to the daily hype in the English Language press (ie: the daily lunatic schemes for luring tourists), that seems to be largely, and sadly true.