Zenfone 5 vs Imobile IQX

Hi all,

In the market for a phone around the 6000 baht mark. Can pick up the zenfone 5 (4 too small) at the local tesco for that price, or go imobile iqx slim 2 for 200 baht more. I want to use the phone as my primary with heavy internet use and movies. No games. Tesco is just so loaded with choices its hard to decide. Any reason not to go with the zenfone? It looks great.

Also this is not actually tesco but a little booth by the escalators with "don't give a crap" staff. Should there be any reason to expect bargaining would get me a case or extras with the phone?

Thanks!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Zenfone uses an Intel chipset there are some apps that don't work but they are getting fewer. The zenfone 4.5 is also out now. Personally If they are your choices I would go Zen. Be aware that an LTE version of the zen5 is coming that uses the snapdragon 400 chip. No problems with that at all. Same as my current Moto G ( another option for you) can get on Lazada.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I ended up opting for a Zenfone 4 because the Zenfone 5 in the flesh is massive (to me) and Zenfone 6 plastic demo looked like a tablet, worried as I had previously committed to the spec of Zenfone 5 after spending far too long reading reviews that at half the price the Zenfone 4 might struggle I neednt have any concerns, I suspect its just iphone 5s and s5 users that feel the Atom chip is slow, safe in the knowledge the 25k price was worth it. The zenfone 4 just flies and Ive no issues with apps I use (gmail, hipchat, chrome browser, playerfm, hackernews etc..) so if the size is bearable the Zenfone 5 should be a safe bet (faster atom chip, more memory etc..).

A thing to consider is Zenfone are 4.3, with upgrade coming soon to KitKat (committed), and potentially Android L (unconfirmed), where as all iMobile I seen where 4.2.1. I would suggest with a hint of bias the Zenfone, companies that knock out phones every week (i.e. there must be 20+ current iMobile in tesco) are probably unlikely to see software upgrade at the major 4.x level as certification and testing would be prohibitively expensive

Edited by matt111

I ended up opting for a Zenfone 4 because the Zenfone 5 in the flesh is massive (to me) and Zenfone 6 plastic demo looked like a tablet, worried as I had previously committed to the spec of Zenfone 5 after spending far too long reading reviews that at half the price the Zenfone 4 might struggle I neednt have any concerns, I suspect its just iphone 5s and s5 users that feel the Atom chip is slow, safe in the knowledge the 25k price was worth it. The zenfone 4 just flies and Ive no issues with apps I use (gmail, hipchat, chrome browser, playerfm, hackernews etc..) so if the size is bearable the Zenfone 5 should be a safe bet (faster atom chip, more memory etc..).

A thing to consider is Zenfone are 4.3, with upgrade coming soon to KitKat (committed), and potentially Android L (unconfirmed), where as all iMobile I seen where 4.2.1. I would suggest with a hint of bias the Zenfone, companies that knock out phones every week (i.e. there must be 20+ current iMobile in tesco) are probably unlikely to see software upgrade at the major 4.x level as certification and testing would be prohibitively expensive

Did you get the old 4 or the newer 4.5?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought an Asus Zenfone 5, ฿5,990 at my local shop, I have seen it on line for as much as ฿1,000 cheaper, but the service I get from the local shop is worth ฿1,000 to me. So far I like it very much, I had an IQ6 and it's not in the same league as the Zenfone 5. The Zenfone 5 is just over all better quality. My IQ6's screen went all funny after a little more than a year, and almost from new the touch screen never worked smoothly.

If anybody has a Zenfone 5 I have a couple of questions. 1 it doesn't seem to have a menue button, what does one do to enter an apps menus? 2 does anyone know how to change the clock to 24 hour format? THANK YOU.

Edited by Issangeorge

If anybody has a Zenfone 5 I have a couple of questions. 1 it doesn't seem to have a menue button, what does one do to enter an apps menus? 2 does anyone know how to change the clock to 24 hour format? THANK YOU.

Isn't the middle button on the screen the menu button!

http://m.tech.firstpost.com/reviews/asus-zenfone-5-review-a-smartphone-to-dethrone-the-moto-g-227321.html

4.4 you change clock in the menu!

Edited by casualbiker

The middle button takes you to the device menus, not the individual app menus. So far I only have one app that it has caused a problem and I found a fix. I could not find away to change the clock to 24 hour format and I would really like to do that. Working all my life for the airlines, I got use to the 24 hour clock. So far today I have been on battery power only for just under 8 hours and still have 33% of the battery left. My usage has been about 50% heavy usage and 50% standby. The usage has included GPS, 3g, and WiFi. My IA6 would have died by now. Of course in any device longevity is important, and that is yet to be determined, but I think after having a pre galaxy Samsung smart phone, and a BlackBerry, both around ฿20,000, and then the IQ6 at over ฿8,000, I may have finally found a phone that does everything I want and at a good price also.

Edited by Issangeorge

Casualbiker, thank you so much, I feel really stupid now, it was so easy to switch to 24 hour, I don't know why I didn't see it before. As for the app menus button, my IQ6 had a button on the left where the return button is. I have found that for most apps the problem doesn't exist the menus is as you say. It is only my Paiboon ThaiDictionary that I had the problem with, but I found a work around. I just got my 15% BATTERY Warning alarm, and I have been using the phone for around 9 hours now, of which 5 hours have been Facebook and internet surfing, all on either 3G or WiFi. My IQ 6 would have died 4 hours ago. This is a great phone.

• Like 1

Just purchased a Zenphone-5 myself today at Power Buy, Siam Paragon: B5,990. Had to try several retailers, many were out of stock. While the salesgirl was completing my sale, two more were sold. I guess word has gotten out.

Lazada is selling an imported model online for B500 less but not worth the hassle.

I had really liked my Lenovo P-780 purchased 6 months ago...especially the 4000 mAh battery that lasted 3 days but the 4GB internal memory was way to insufficient and it is packed with native apps that can't be moved to SD memory.

Battery life is my only real concern with the Zenphone-5...time will tell.

I haven't actually used it as a phone yet as I did not realize it required a Micro-SIM....I'll have to change that over (yet again) tomorrow.

So far, it seems pretty slick. It connected nicely to Wi-Fi and apps downloaded swiftly. If I experience anything noteworthy I'll report it here.

Has anybody found a local retailer selling the Asus case for the "5"? Nobody I asked in BKK had any for sale. I found 2 cases online from AliExpress; one that appears the same as the Asus model with the circular window ($5.78) which I ordered and one that looked pretty generic, maybe with a stick-on back. Knowing AliExpress, the case won't arrive for more than a month so if I can source one locally, I'll buy it. Every time I've used a smartphone without a case cover over the display, I get pocket calls...very annoying.

Edited by dddave

I'm no expert on this topic . I'm about to purchase new cell myself. Zenphone certainly looks great. If you do gaming i would prob avoid the intel atom. My Lenevo 920 (6 month old) is in for repair. The on off button situated on top, was always in trouble.

Check out the imobile IQ-X3

Very impressive specs and tessco have it at 5990baht. Was 8500 when released.

I had an IQ 9.1 (fell over broke it) but that was nice phone. Camera so so.

Zen phones wont be discounted for some time yet.

I'm no expert on this topic . I'm about to purchase new cell myself. Zenphone certainly looks great. If you do gaming i would prob avoid the intel atom. My Lenevo 920 (6 month old) is in for repair. The on off button situated on top, was always in trouble.

Check out the imobile IQ-X3

Very impressive specs and tessco have it at 5990baht. Was 8500 when released.

I had an IQ 9.1 (fell over broke it) but that was nice phone. Camera so so.

Zen phones wont be discounted for some time yet.

Only problem with i-mobile is the Android upgrades they don't seem to understand the concept!!!

Only problem with i-mobile is the Android upgrades they don't seem to understand the concept!!!

It's not only an I-Mobile problem, but a problem with all the cheap phones, powered by "Mediatek" chipsets.

Mediatek just doesn't release any drivers (or source) for newer Android versions (except for their new Octacores probably)

BUT: they are easily to root and a custom recovery is possible.

I have an Asus Fonepad too, it got only a few patches, but never an Android version upgrade (even it was promised by Asus).

Ok'ish device, but a pain in the ass to root (which is usually lost with the next patch), a locked bootloader, so no custom roms or recovery.

Never again a device with locked bootloader.

However, the two I-mobile 9.1 which I've bought recently for 4900Baht each, are great value for the money.

Fortunately they are not preloaded with tons of crap, like the Samsung phones.

Edited by Turkleton

Turkleton, would you mind telling me where you got the imobile Q 9.1. As i posted i had one and liked it and subsequently killed it. Tesco has them at 5990. Same price they have the IQ-X3

Any thoughts on these two phones against zen 5.

Yep i have an asus phonepad. Sort of a back up phone and tablet when i travel. Was ok for the money i guess

My phone has been on battery for 6 hours now, about 70% internet use 20% phone call and 10% downtime, I still have 62% of the battery left, my IQ6 would be over by now. I've said before and I'll say again this is a great phone. I would recommend it to anyone. I sure couldn't say that about the IQ6 or IQX I had. Their battery life was terrible their touch pad very inconsistent and their specs not as good. My Zenfone 5 has 2GB RAM 16GB RON and will take a 64GB micro card, all for ฿5,990, I find it hard to believe an iPhone or Galaxy would be any better at 4 times the price.

Edited by Issangeorge

Turkleton, would you mind telling me where you got the imobile Q 9.1. ..

There was a promotion at Tesco a few weeks ago.

4990 Baht, IF you own a Tesco "Member card", otherwise 6990Baht.

post-158247-0-75411400-1408621463_thumb.

But a friend told me, that he could get it for exactly the same price (4990) at the I-Mobile store in Pattaya.

Edited by Turkleton

Battery warning after 13 hours, there is no way my IQ phones gave me that kind of battery life.

Having a Zenphone-5 problem I wanted to move some music from an SD card in my laptopcard reader to my phone....My Zenphone-5 can not connect to my laptop (Win-8.1, Classic Shell) Computer won't recognize the device.

First of all, with all my past Android 4.2 phones, one would first have to enable "USB Debugging" in Settings: Developer options.

It seems that in Android 4.3, "Developer Options" is no longer listed under "Settings"

After a frustrating search, I found there was an app on the phone called "PC LINK" that must also be downloaded onto the computer being used: www.pclink.asus.com The phone app has a submenu that lists USB debugging but the options are confusing.

One is supposed to open the app on the phone and on the computer simultaneously and be able to connect. I could not make it work no matter what I tried...true hair pulling experience. ASUS has some pop-up instructions with the pc download but they are poorly written and make no sense. When I open the PC LINK program in my laptop, it is completely unresponsive. I finally gave up and uninstalled it.

Why oh why do they insist on making formally simple and understood processes more difficult.

Ideas anybody?

I use an app called MyPhoneExplorer you can connect through WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB, I connect through WiFi. It is a free app on play store, although they do ask for donations, I haven't donated yet, but the app is so good I will. A word of caution if you are using a removable micro SD, it is under removable.

Great suggestion. Thanks, IG.

BTW, JayMart is selling the Zenphone 4.5 for just B300 more than the 4"...friend bought one yesterday. Apparently, they've jumped the gun on the release date. My friend stopped first at Power Mall in Siam Paragon where I bought mine and they were completely sold out of 5's. Told him they had sold more than 100 in an hours time.