New Travel Insurance for inbound visitors

xen

Just for your information , i found this in the Sydney Morning Herald this afternoon. Sounds like it is  a way to encourage tourists and to have them come with basic travel insurance cover . For 15 to 30 days cover, the basic is 1400 baht . Even i could afford that.

http://www.muangthaiinsurance.com/th/insurance/travel/enjoytravelthai

It is underwritten by Alliance which is not a good recommendation in my experience  but others may have had a better experience with them than myself.

Read the coverage conditions (as you should)  for a chuckle . It does not cover anybody if the you are get thrown into prison, arrested or brawling amongst other types of behaviour . Obviously trying to get a better class of tourist.

• Like 1

It doesn't seem to exclude being on a bike . There also is not listed any pre-existing medical conditions either which is very strange.

Not  being  covered for Food poisoning is a strange exclusion too.

Exclusions are as they are listed in the small print .

Exclusions for loss of life, dismemberment, loss of sight or total permanent disability from accident.
This insuring agreement does not cover 
1. Any Loss or Injury arising from/or in consequence of the following causes: 
1.1 Action of the Insured while under the influence of alcohol, addictive drugs, narcotic drugs to the extent of being 
unable to control oneBs mind. The term Cunder the influence of alcoholD in case of having a blood test refers to a 
blood/alcohol level of 150 mg percent and over. 
1.2 Suicide or attempted suicide or self-inflicted injury. 
1.3 Parasite infections except pyrogenic infection, tetanus, or rabies from a wound or cut suffered as
a result of an accident. 
1.4 Medical treatment or surgical treatment except the necessary treatment for the injury which is covered under this 
insurance policy and occurring within the period of this insurance policy. 
1.5 Miscarriage and abortion. 
1.6 Food poisoning. 
2. Loss or Injury which occurs: 
2.1 While the Insured is racing of all kinds of car or boat, horse racing, all kinds of skiing including 
 jet skiing, skate racing, boxing, parachuting (except for the purpose of life saving), while boarding or traveling on 
 the balloon or glider, bungee jumping or diving with oxygen tank and breathing equipment under water. 
 2.2 While the Insured is taking part in a brawl or taking part in inciting a brawl.

You do need to look at the policy yourself .

Interesting. The premium table lists an "annual trip" at 12,000 baht for the better coverage option. If you come and go frequently (at least once every 60 days), it's a damn sight cheaper and in many ways better cover than my current BUPA coverage taken out locally in Thailand. And no age groups either up to age 70, which is even more suspicious.

One wonders, though, how and where (into a foreign bank a/c?) they would pay any claim.

Interesting. The premium table lists an "annual trip" at 12,000 baht for the better coverage option. If you come and go frequently (at least once every 60 days), it's a damn sight cheaper and in many ways better cover than my current BUPA coverage taken out locally in Thailand. And no age groups either up to age 70, which is even more suspicious.

One wonders, though, how and where (into a foreign bank a/c?) they would pay any claim.

I presume you mean Bupa health?

If so, that will cover you for medical treatment in Thailand, the here mentioned insurance is a travel insurance. With a standard travel insurance it will repatriate you asap, after that you're left on your own or with your own health insurance.

No, BUPA coal mining. What do you think?

Since cover includes "Medical expenses from accident and sickness" up to 1 or 2 million baht it seems highly likely treatment might take place in Thailand unless you need the "Emergency medical evacuation/repatriation and/or repatriation of mortal remains". Read the policy before posting. Then you might see the word 'medical'.

Since cover includes "Medical expenses from accident and sickness" up to 1 or 2 million baht it seems highly likely treatment might take place in Thailand unless you need the "Emergency medical evacuation/repatriation and/or repatriation of mortal remains". Read the policy before posting. Then you might see the word 'medical'.

Well, since Bupa can offer you both health and travel insurance a very normal question IMO. Your answer though is not.

The impression i got of this policy and perhaps i am jumping to conclusions here, but  some weeks ago there was talk of the government (and persumably some partners)  putting a low cost travel insurance together so tourists who have mishaps  can use Thai hospitals without the Thai hospital system incurring great costs .