Singapore Recommendations

alexth

Can't help you with a travel agent, i normally book my flight down to Singapore online...........i use AirAsia but there are other carriers.

Hotel wise comes down to your budget..........Marriott is A1 for position if you want to be on Orchard road but runs 6-7000 baht/night.

A better bet budget wise would be the Allson Hotel its only 3 stops on the MRT from the Marriott and does an excellent inclusive breakfast buffet........cost approx 3000 baht/night.

Similar price and area is the City Bayview.............although the breakfast is not up to the Allson standard.

I've tried all 3 of the above and have no complaints...............i use AsiaRooms (google it) to book the hotel they seem the most competitive.

Rates to go are another site which offer last minute booking (within last 20 day before departure) although they do not include the tax and service charges in their quotes so take care when booking.

Another well recommended hotel is the Hotel Rendezvous at 3800 baht/night.

If you want something cheaper then you need to look in the Geylang area (red light district) where rooms can be had for as little as 700 baht a night.

Alex, what for would u want a travel agent for a trip to SG ? its the most easy thing to do by urself..... so many airlines, so many options for accomodations in any price range....

if u give more details on how much u wanna spend for a night I may be able to give u a couple of recommendations.... same goes for the airlines....

and the SG tourist board is very professional, you can get a plethora of brochures and folders....

I am in SG 2-3 times a year (its a pleasant oasis in South-East-Asia and has a nightlife Bangkok can only dream of, though more pricey) , and will be there again in late July for a few days (couldnt resist to book the ZERO-Baht-ticket with airasia's promotion in December last year), if u need any assist, lemme know.....

Alex, what for would u want a travel agent for a trip to SG ? its the most easy thing to do by urself..... so many airlines, so many options for accomodations in any price range....

if u give more details on how much u wanna spend for a night I may be able to give u a couple of recommendations.... same goes for the airlines....

and the SG tourist board is very professional, you can get a plethora of brochures and folders....

I am in SG 2-3 times a year (its a pleasant oasis in South-East-Asia and has a nightlife Bangkok can only dream of, though more pricey) , and will be there again in late July for a few days (couldnt resist to book the ZERO-Baht-ticket with airasia's promotion in December last year), if u need any assist, lemme know.....

My main problem is that I don't have a credit card (this is the main reason for travelling to Singapore, getting a credit card with HSBC) and since I don't have the credit card, there are dozens of offers on the internet that I can not reach and I know that prices from the travel agents are cheaper than the ones you pay at the reception in the hotel. Just need a decent safe flight and I was thinking about the Méridien or Marriott. Some tips on the nightlife would be highly appreciated though :D:o

My main problem is that I don't have a credit card (this is the main reason for travelling to Singapore, getting a credit card with HSBC) and since I don't have the credit card, there are dozens of offers on the internet that I can not reach and I know that prices from the travel agents are cheaper than the ones you pay at the reception in the hotel. Just need a decent safe flight and I was thinking about the Méridien or Marriott. Some tips on the nightlife would be highly appreciated though :D:o

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the cheapest ticket with a BIG NATIONAL CARRIER is GARUDA at the moment, they stop in SG on their way from BKK to Jakarta. The return-fare is about 3.000 baht plus Taxes and surcharges, will set u back around 5.500-6.000 Baht probably.

another option is to buy an airasia-ticket using CASH. they have ticket-counters at many TESCO LOTUS, for example the ON NUT-branch. lately I bought a last-minute-ticket there which could not be booked in internet anymore (must be at least 24 hrs b4 departure).... they are more than happy to accept cash.....

as for the hotels in SG: when u arrive at SG airport there are excellent hotel-booking-counters at all terminals (however I dont know about the new low-cost-terminal, but only TIGER is using this one), and they offer VERY VERY good rates for all categories of accomodation. those counters are open 24/7...... u pay 10 SG$-deposit and then the rest of the amount at the hotel.... very convenient....

if u still prefer to use a travel-agent: buy the Bangkok-Post Monday to Friday and in the classifieds-section u will find plenty of offers for many 2 or 3 days packages to any Asian destination..... but thats certainly the more expensive way....

Edited by AsiaWolfie

If your budget stretches to it then the Marriott is highly recommended...........you couldnt get a better location right on the crossroads of Scott Road and Orchard Road.

Breakfast buffet is excellent and included in room rate when you book through AsiaRooms (not sure about other agents)

Nothing better than having a beer in the Crossroads cafe which is open air and located just outside the lobby of the Marriott.............watch the world go by. :o

Basement of Marriott has disco/club in it with free entry to residents of Marriott.

No doubt you can book it through a travel agent if a lack of credit card is going to present a problem.

Thanks to you all for the info. I bought my ticket with AirAsia and made reservations for Le Meridiene, it's on the Orchard Road and booked through excelloz.com. The hotel looks great and I've always had very good experiences with Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Hope everything will be ok.

Thanks,

Alex

just a note...

Cathay Pacific has a sale to Singapore.. I believe it's still going on.

RT business class from BKK is 9.500 plus tax (about 11,400). I don't think they have reduced economy fares, but it's worth checking out.

just a note...

Cathay Pacific has a sale to Singapore.. I believe it's still going on.

RT business class from BKK is 9.500 plus tax (about 11,400). I don't think they have reduced economy fares, but it's worth checking out.

Thanks, thohts, but I have already purchased my ticket with AirAsia, 6.500 THB. Thanks, anyways.

And who says AirAsia is cheap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rip off merchants, better get into the gym pretty ###### quick to get yourself fit and ready for the boarding procedure

Maybe, I've had loads of bad experiences with the cheap things, the truth is that a friend reccomended me AirAsia and I thought that I should give it a try. Anyway, as long as it's safe, it's ok for me.