Khao Yai - anyone ?

MrWorldwide

Where: Pak Chong or anywhere within striking distance of views like the one below

Budget : 2-3K but I'll pay more for the right place

Need: access to a store that doesnt sell beer for resort prices and a Thai market would be nice - Pak Chong seems to be the pick of the bunch, na ?

Dont need: anything resembling a bar district - I can get that 7 nights a week right here in Pattaya

Misc:  is it worth spending a night in Korat simply to be able to tick it off my list ?  

Thanks in advance.

khao-yai-national-park-7.jpg

• Like 1

Based on your limited info I'd say Pak Chong is the place for you.     We enjoy visits to Khao Yai and camp there several times a year.    Korat, well Pak Chong is pretty close so go for a visit.    I lived there for 4 years back in the late sixties/early seventies.    OK place.

do you have an upper limit on leeches per square meter? or cobras per rai or hungry tigers per human?

OK - those thoughts did occur to me, but how many truly wild places are there left in Thailand ? I just need a break from Pattaya and this looks like the 180 degree opposite of where I am right now. I've been to CM a few times and its never really wowed me - the scenery in the photo I posted does wow me. 

@Spaniel - thanks for the feedback. 

....... but how many truly wild places are there left in Thailand ? .

You would be surprised - this site www.wildlifethailand.com offers an insight into such places in just central Thailand.

do you have an upper limit on leeches per square meter? or cobras per rai or hungry tigers per human?

OK - those thoughts did occur to me, but how many truly wild places are there left in Thailand ? I just need a break from Pattaya and this looks like the 180 degree opposite of where I am right now. I've been to CM a few times and its never really wowed me - the scenery in the photo I posted does wow me. 

If you leave the city of CM there are places up north that would wow you much more than Khao Yai.

If you leave the city of CM there are places up north that would wow you much more than Khao Yai.

CM isnt a 2-hour minibus ride from BKK and I'm less impressed by the traffic up there each time I visit. Also not keen on any metropolis that has to endure a burning season - most of the world left that agrarian madness behind centuries ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

No leeches, no tigers and no (Bali-style) monkey madness - just some deer and a few docile monkeys by the side of the road. Biggest annoyance was the traffic jam created by Thais fleeing Bangkok for the 4-day break. Khao Yai is beautiful, but I wouldnt recommend that road to anyone on two wheels who doesnt have prior experience on mountain roads - there are a couple of switchbacks where the inexperienced could easily lose it. Given the steep inclines and the thickness of the undergrowth, I can only imagine that the elephants/tigers etc must live in another part of the park - the deer were grazing on a section of cleared campground and didnt appear particularly alarmed at the sight of humans - a long way from the wild adventure some intrepid hikers might have had in the past. 

FWIW, the national park itself is very reminiscent of the rainforest in the Gold Coast hinterland (O'Reillys) and around Kuranda in FNQ, but I was very glad to get back to Pattaya. Next time I need a break I think I'll just go to Rayong  :D 

Khao yai is beautiful, these days more developed. The park itself is a must. Rather than staying in Pak chong, there are MANY resorts all along the road from Pak chong to the park, and one can also stay inside the park. Also visit PB Valley and Granmonte wineries.  Visit Palio and Toscana Italian style estates.  Korat is ok, a few things to see and then there is Pi Mai nearby, worth a one day visit.