15 Phuket beach businesses appeal to court for protection from demolition

webfact

15 Phuket beach businesses appeal to court for protection from demolition
Alasdair Forbes

1406697098_1-org.jpg
Restaurants at Kamala Beach fighting for survival.

PHUKET: -- About 15 restaurants and massage shops have survived the great knock-down at Kamala Beach – for now.

More than 60 businesses along Kamala Beach were knocked down at the beginning of July, but the 15 claim that their businesses are on land with SorKor 1 papers, and are therefore legal.

They have lodged an appeal with the court for a stay of execution while the authorities check the papers.

The business owners believe they have the right to do business on the land because they are in the same area as two hotels that border the beach, the Novotel and the Courtyard by Marriott, which have been proven to have legitimate papers.

At a meeting at the Kamala Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor) offices yesterday afternoon (July 29), Vice Governor Jamroen Tippayapongtada ordered the Kathu District Officer and the Marine Department to check the borders of their land.

V/Gov Jamroen told The Phuket News that the OrBorTor had already posted orders to knock down the structures because the buildings “don’t have a permission to build because the SorKor 1 paper is not yet proved legal”.

“We can’t conclude what to do to them at this point. The business owners have requested the court to protect them temporarily [from demolition]. So, we must wait until August 16 to see what the court will decide.

“I have asked the Land Department to check their papers to see whether they are legal or not, and the Marine Department to check the borders. We will see on August 16 what happens.”

Kittipong Teeranatthapong, a Deputy Prosecutor of the Phuket Provincial Court said, “If the court grants their request for a temporary stay while the papers are checked, it means that the court sees a possibility that the land papers are legitimate.

“But if the court decides not to grant their request, they will probably lose eventually.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/15-phuket-beach-businesses-appeal-to-court-for-protection-from-demolition-47610.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-30

• Like 1

“I have asked the Land Department to check their papers to see whether they are legal or not, and the Marine Department to check the borders. We will see on August 16 what happens.”

Isn't this one of the same departments who have been issuing all the illegal documents in the first place???

• Like 2

These reports seem the same as always.

They raise more questions than they answer.

But it just seems to be the way here.

I ask my wife a few questions, simple ones on the bits and pieces that I didn't catch with my limited Thai.

The normal straight forward person would ask these questions in a given situation but there is just no answer.

If I persist I am bad. Yes maybe its just my wife but the news items are the same.

Why does the news not say that the official was asked but said no comment? At least we may then be able to have some respect for their intelligence.

Life goes on

• Like 1

I remember the little horeshoe of Thai restaurants on Nai Harn, before everyone and his dog got in on the act. If they'd've been subject to summary demolition, I would've been very sad to see them go. So it's the bandwaggon jumpers who've spoiled this for everyone else.

It's all very well and nice to have them gone from somewhere like Patong, where there are plenty of beach road resaurants anyway. But regulation would've improved what looks like being a blanket and thermos on the more out of the way beaches (I'll miss stopping off for a halfway break at Mai Kao for instance. I mean seriously, what harm were that little Thai oriented handful doing? and nothing else about).

'Sledgehammer' 'nut' 'crack'.

Ok. Bring it on coffee1.gif

• Like 1

These reports seem the same as always.

They raise more questions than they answer.

But it just seems to be the way here.

I ask my wife a few questions, simple ones on the bits and pieces that I didn't catch with my limited Thai.

The normal straight forward person would ask these questions in a given situation but there is just no answer.

If I persist I am bad. Yes maybe its just my wife but the news items are the same.

Why does the news not say that the official was asked but said no comment? At least we may then be able to have some respect for their intelligence.

Life goes on

My wife too, is no Sherlock Holmes, but she is very blissful. Ignorance is bliss they say. She gets in a state of suspended animation on some very core questions. Translation not explainable.

Now she is into Facebook and needs help with English spelling and I turn into the zombie.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"the Novotel and the Courtyard by Marriott, which have been proven to have legitimate papers."

NOPE, they just paid a lot of money.

That statement about the Novotel may not be true. There are a number of Novotel units on the beach that are clearly illegal. I doubt that's been decided yet. I don't see the Marriott in violation.

I remember the little horeshoe of Thai restaurants on Nai Harn, before everyone and his dog got in on the act. If they'd've been subject to summary demolition, I would've been very sad to see them go. So it's the bandwaggon jumpers who've spoiled this for everyone else.

It's all very well and nice to have them gone from somewhere like Patong, where there are plenty of beach road resaurants anyway. But regulation would've improved what looks like being a blanket and thermos on the more out of the way beaches (I'll miss stopping off for a halfway break at Mai Kao for instance. I mean seriously, what harm were that little Thai oriented handful doing? and nothing else about).

'Sledgehammer' 'nut' 'crack'.

Ok. Bring it on coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

The problem is you can't pick and chose which ones go or stay. Given one meter, it will be 10 meters next season. Nothing on the King's beach except sand is the only way to play it. Good riddance.