Dash Cam SD card, how big?

dagling

I haven't seen a dashcam that would accept a SDXC 64GB+ card yet... All the ones I've seen are micro SDHC, which maxxes out at 32GB.

Also it depends on whether you are recording at 720P or 1080P. I'd say 16GB for 720P, 32GB for 1080P.

As IHMO says it depends on the resolution you are recording.

I have 16gb cards which is enough for me at high resolution.

If you want to recorded a whole journey then get a bigger card (32gb max as far as I know) But to me it's only the last few moments before an accident that will be important.

biggrin.png

I find the size of the SD card is like the size of the HDD you would choose for your laptop, etc. You have to ask yourself, 'For how long of a period of time do you need your dash cam to keep its recordings?'  A 4GB SD card records for a proportionally less length of time than 16GB, 32GB and 64GB SD cards. In the dash cam, depending on how you set it, when the end of a SD card's recording space is reached, the dash cam will either stop recording or begin to record over - loop - what has already been recorded.

In addition to the 'Size' of the SD card, you must also select a 'Class' .

The dash cam I bought, the DOD LS330W dash cam, (a 'sister(?)' brand to the model IMHO bought), has great features and works well with certain 64GB sized SD cards, specifically, the Adata Class-10 64GB brand SD cards. I use 64 GB SD cards for their ability to store and record long hours (>10 hrs) periods of driving per SD card.

I set my dash cam to record at the 720p/60fps rate.

I have a Vision drive dash cam with a 32 GB card. It records the whole time the ignition is turned on. It records Incidents during this time as well, if the car hits a bump or there is side, front or rear impact. When it records an incident it records 10 seconds prior to the incident and up to 60 seconds after the incident, this is stored on the card.

If you want to keep this incident or recording of the accident change the card. If there are no incidents, it is set on a loop and will record over any incidents for the whole time you are driving.

Edited by OZEMADE

I think it would be helpful to the OP if anyone gave some figures as to how much time a certain size of sd card can record.

visiondrive-models-and-specifications-8-

close_big.png

closebox.png

May be it's just me, but I can't make out of all that info how many minutes a 32Gb  memory card can record.

If you click onto the link and go to the (ask us) on the left hand side, they will answer all your queries.
www.visiondrive.net.au

Wouldn't it be easier if you, who I presume owns a dash cam, just tells us what size memory card you have inserted and how many minutes recording at which resolution that holds ?>
These are the details for my dash cam (please note that when using WVGA, the picture is pretty unclear). Another thing is for high quality video recording a class 6 memory card is recommend (the higher the number the better)

■ 1080p (1920 × 1080 pixels) at 30fps, save about 1.86 hours in a 8GB micro SD card (256MB for each video file)
■ 720p (1280 × 720 pixels) at 30fps, save about 4.13 hours in a 8GB micro SD card (256MB for each video file)
■ WVGA (848 × 480 pixels) at 30fps, save about 9 hours in a 8GB micro SD card (256MB for each video file)
■ 720p Dual (1280 × 1440 pixels) at 30fps, save about 2.06 hours in a 8GB micro SD card (256MB for each video file)

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

32gb class 10 now cost 490 baht, so why even bother to post this useless question ?

Just buy 32gb which is the maximum that cams accept.

Actually several brands now will take 64GB MicroSDXC cards now.  Just a couple of examples below, more out there:

The DOD LS430W is a car Digital Video Recorder (DVR) with GPS that mounts to the windshield to record video and audio while driving. Over 8 hours of 1080P high definition video can be recorded with a 64GB microSDXC memory card.

RoadHawk HD -  While it comes with a 8 GB SD card, it supports up to 64GB SDXC memory. The bit rate is configurable between 4 and 12 Mbit/s, so at maximum bit rate and with a 64GB card you get nearly 12 hours of continous recording capacity before the loop recording starts to overwrite the oldest files.

If you click onto the link and go to the (ask us) on the left hand side, they will answer all your queries.

www.visiondrive.net.au

Wouldn't it be easier if you, who I presume owns a dash cam, just tells us what size memory card you have inserted and how many minutes recording at which resolution that holds ?>

Mine is a Vision Drive VD5000W. I can click it onto the windscreen and remove it easily to a second vehicle if required. It works in Thailand and Australia. You only have to change the date and time line when you travel. 

I have a 32GB card, Resolution 1280 X 720.

I drove from Phuket to Lop Buri on the same card, it had not looped/written over itself a distance of 1250 Kilometres, approx 16hrs with food and fuel stops.

32gb class 10 now cost 490 baht, so why even bother to post this useless question ?

Just buy 32gb which is the maximum that cams accept.

Actually several brands now will take 64GB MicroSDXC cards now.  Just a couple of examples below, more out there:

The DOD LS430W is a car Digital Video Recorder (DVR) with GPS that mounts to the windshield to record video and audio while driving. Over 8 hours of 1080P high definition video can be recorded with a 64GB microSDXC memory card.

RoadHawk HD -  While it comes with a 8 GB SD card, it supports up to 64GB SDXC memory. The bit rate is configurable between 4 and 12 Mbit/s, so at maximum bit rate and with a 64GB card you get nearly 12 hours of continous recording capacity before the loop recording starts to overwrite the oldest files.

I stumble corrected.

• Like 1