Woman weighing 300 kgs admitted to Chiang Mai hospital

webfact

Woman weighing 300 kgs admitted to Chiang Mai hospital
The Nation

30239900-01_big.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- A 300-kilogram woman who is unable to walk was admitted to the Maharaj Nakhon Chiang Mai Thursday morning. The hospital dispatched an ambulance to transport Nokkaew Saensomparn, 31, from her home in a squatter community in Chiang Mai's Muang district.

Officials spent about half an hour preparing to transport the woman to the ambulance. The first adjusted the walkway then used dozens of large blankets to make a stretcher.

Nokkaew said she was glad that doctors stepped in to help her. She hoped to lose weight and to be able to walk again.

Assoc Prof Doctor Somsak Chaowisitseri, the hospital director, said doctors would first look into the complications of her obesity before planning a weight-loss programme. The doctors would also wait for the woman to be sufficiently fit for an operation designed to help her lose her weight, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Woman-weighing-300-kgs-admitted-to-Chiang-Mai-hosp-30239900.html

[thenation]2014-07-31[/thenation]

Fat exploitation at its finest.  So much for patient confidentiality.

Maybe the Hospital is providing it's treatment for free and the media that evolves is a part payment ... who knows.

Let's not discuss things we don't know for sure about.

BTW ... 300 kgs ...  w00t.gif

Either way it is still vile!

• Like 2

Maybe the Hospital is providing it's treatment for free and the media that evolves is a part payment ... who knows.

Really David!!

"Maybe..............who knows"

followed immediately by

"Let's not discuss things we don't know for sure about"

w00t.gif w00t.gif

I thought it was a government hospital.

I thought it was a government hospital.

It is.  It's the teaching hospital for Chiang Mai University.  More commonly known as Suan Dok hospital.

This report indicates 200kG.  Also note the last sentence as to how it is being paid for.

Medical help for 200-kg woman

A 200-kilogramme overweight woman who was left to be taken care of by her elderly mother was on Thursday moved out of their shanty home in downtown Chiang Mai to Maharaj Nakhon Chiang Mai hospital for medical treatment.

Several hospital workers helped move 30-year old Ms Nokkaew onto an ambulance and then driven to the hospital.  The operation was closely supervised by Professor Dr Wattana Naveecharoen, dean of the Medical Science Faculty of Chiangmai University.

Ms Nokkaew has been living with her mother on a modest 600 baht monthly pension from the Socialo Security Office plus another 200 baht donation from sympathetic neighbours since her husband abandoned her years ago.

It was reported that she has not been able to move for the past two months.

Dr Chanachai Chantharakid of Tropical Diseases Department of Chiangmai University said that the patient would first be closely examined and then subjected to strict diet regime to reduce her weight.

Whether she needs surgery to reduce weight or not depends on her health condition and whether she has other complications or not, said the doctor.

But all her medical expenses will be covered by the Suan Dok Hospital Foundation.

[thaipbs]31 July 2014[/thaipbs]

• Like 1

Unfortunately we are like to see more and more of this as Thais like a large part of the worlds population grow bigger and bigger.

Its not just fast food its the volume of sugar being consumed these days plus less and less manual labour.

The slim thais ladies which were probably 95% of the thai female population are disappearing faster than I would like.

So true. I have noticed this happening too.

Unfortunately we are like to see more and more of this as Thais like a large part of the worlds population grow bigger and bigger.

Its not just fast food its the volume of sugar being consumed these days plus less and less manual labour.

The slim thais ladies which were probably 95% of the thai female population are disappearing faster than I would like.

So true. I have noticed this happening too.

A very large metal crate of 1kg bags of sugar at our local Big C supermarket has to be replenished every 2 or 3 days says a guy who works there.

I was going to comment thus: And I thought I was a fat lump of lard at 90 kilos. But I changed my mind and had another beer, and burger instead. Seriously, I hope this woman gets the right treatment for her condition - not to be able to walk is really terrible, let alone what her heart is like...

"Dr Chanachai Chantharakid of Tropical Diseases Department of Chiangmai University said that the patient would first be closely examined.."

so it sounds like it may be a tropical disease......

odd - I thought it originated in the USA

Edited by bangon04

Poor woman, we don't know the reason, it could be Thyrroid problems or other medical condition,,or just the wrong food and it's escalated over the years, at least she is in the right place now.

All the best and hope things work out for you.

Could be simply that she has no sense of self restraint -- like most fat people, sucking up beer, and gobbling sugar loaded sweets and simple carbohydrate "food."  Why?  Because they "like it" is the only answer I have ever gotten out of any of them.  I have zero sympathy.  For every 100 fat people, you can count the number that have a fat inducing medical condition on fewer than the fingers of one hand -- though practically all of them "claim" such a condition because they won't take personal responsibility for their lack of self control..

We never know what tomorrow will bring, our lives might all be rosey today, but that can all change for various reasons,

If it is an eating disorder, something or someone has brought this on, and it's just been a downward spiral ever since..

Like I said, in a previous post, she is in the right place now, life is precious I hope all ends well for this lady.

Please folks show some compassion....

We never know what tomorrow will bring, our lives might all be rosey today, but that can all change for various reasons,

If it is an eating disorder, something or someone has brought this on, and it's just been a downward spiral ever since..

Like I said, in a previous post, she is in the right place now, life is precious I hope all ends well for this lady.

Please folks show some compassion....

Compassion is a good thing though I really don't understand real obese people. There should be a point that you say I need to seek help or I need to change something. The real deal caused by health problems overweight people are tiny compared by those who inflict it on themselves. I have lost and kept off 25 kg, i saw myself in the mirrors and hated myself hated pictures ect. Now I keep on weight by stepping on the scales regularly and changing things if the scales go up too much.

Though I genuinely believe there are people with underlying conditions, they are not the majority. I have a thyroid problem and tests to prove it even with t4 it will not allow me to eat as much as "normal" people. But it does not mean I need to be fat.. just need to pay more attention to it and yes its harder. I am quite lean now and will keep it that way. 

But I also admit that less intelligent and poor people are more likely to be fat as you need to be smart to know what to eat and finances can also screw up your choices in general healthy food is more expensive. 

I just don't buy into the its never the obese person his or her mistake. I believe for a majority it is. I do believe for a large group it is of course harder as "normal" people and impossible compared to those skinny people that seem to be able to abuse their body and eat what they want. But in the end harder does not mean impossible. Respect for the guy below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

• Like 1

I am one of those fortunate people that I can shuffle anything down and still remain at 60 kilos, yep I know I am lucky, but I am Strict vegetarian, plus food is not a big deal for me I can take it or leave it, but I do like chocolate and sticky toffee pudding and the likes, also a few drinks when the occasion arises.

Like I said, we never know what tomorrow holds, my heart goes out to this woman, and I hope she gets herself and her life back to normal...

I am one of those fortunate people that I can shuffle anything down and still remain at 60 kilos, yep I know I am lucky, but I am Strict vegetarian, plus food is not a big deal for me I can take it or leave it, but I do like chocolate and sticky toffee pudding and the likes, also a few drinks when the occasion arises.

Like I said, we never know what tomorrow holds, my heart goes out to this woman, and I hope she gets herself and her life back to normal...

I am no vegetarian and can't eat what i want I got a weakness for chocolate ice and normal chocolate. But i just don't take it (90% of the time) tonight my gf and a friend and me will go to haagen dazs after the movies and I will resist it but its not fun when you have to restrict yourself. But I know why I do it but its never really fun to see others being able to eat and drink what they want while I can't. 

I also avoid alcohol for its calories, though there are rare occasions that I do drink. But yes my heart goes out to this woman and I hope she recovers. 

I just often wonder how people can get into a certain state is there not a day you wake up and say its enough. I know that that was exactly what happened with me. I mean once you get trouble moving around or doing stairs and stuff should that not suffice as a signal.

• Like 1

Poor woman, we don't know the reason, it could be Thyrroid problems or other medical condition,,or just the wrong food and it's escalated over the years, at least she is in the right place now.

All the best and hope things work out for you.

Could be simply that she has no sense of self restraint -- like most fat people, sucking up beer, and gobbling sugar loaded sweets and simple carbohydrate "food."  Why?  Because they "like it" is the only answer I have ever gotten out of any of them.  I have zero sympathy.  For every 100 fat people, you can count the number that have a fat inducing medical condition on fewer than the fingers of one hand -- though practically all of them "claim" such a condition because they won't take personal responsibility for their lack of self control..

You are right of coarse, if I could just get my hands on 600 baht a month plus 200 from the neighbours   to keep two people not only would I piss it up but I would probably take overseas holidays twice a year. Why don't you send her a few baht you miserable git.