Teachers told not to panic about visa and work permit crackdown

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The sooner all the illegal treachers are caught and arrested the sooner law abiding teachers salaries will increase

That won't happen. The Thai teachers will object.

Also, don't forget, the laws of supply and demand don't work here in Thailand.

Bravo Karen! You hit the nail right on the head. I've got an MBA and I have been shaking my head for the last 8 years that none of the 'laws' of free market economics seem to apply here. I've read estimates that over 30% of all residential housing is vacant. Probably higher now because there is a huge building boom now for houses that will never be lived in and apartments that will never be rented. In America, a vacancy rate over 6% equates to a collapse in the housing market and values. The average house here is so expensive compared to the average Thai wage that housing costs are proportionally higher for Thais than for people living in Manhattan or London. Yet house after house sits vacant. 8 year old used cars sit unsold on car lots with price tags that are over 80% of what those vehicles cost new. It is an amazing place!

Edited by majhiggins

Agree 100% with you connda regarding schools that offer to provide a WP.

My own position is that the school provides the paper work and i pay for my own WP.

In my opinion it is better for a teacher to search for schools that do not pay for a Non B as well as the WP.

Target reputable schools and do not try and be smart by being illegal one day you'll get nabbed.

I'm with you 100%.  I used to pay for my own WP. 

The problem with the system could be corrected if prospective NES teachers educate themselves regarding this issue.  It might be worth attempting to submit an formal article to Ajarn.com for publication dealing with this problem.  I'll have to give that some thought and do some research.

Edited by connda

Forgive me if I happen to offend ...
but shouldn't teachers have the said documents or be in the process of obtaining them....in order to legally teach.
IMHO. If you are neither of the above but teach.....get your paperwork sorted ASAP.
Consider the Inspector's words as a 'shot across the bow' and ample warning.
It shows he is aware of such practices

You are correct in what you say, but there is another side of the story. I have had several friends who were teachers, who wished to do everything "by the book" and have the correct visa and work permits, yet the Thai schools that they taught at consistently bungled them up as far as their visas went. The schools promised visas and work permits but then did not follow through and hold up their end of the deal, or they were helpful and assisted the foreign teacher in obtaining the correct visas and wp's at first but when It came time to renew they drug their feet, the teachers were then forced to chose....do they just quit and leave or do they try to stay on and teach while using incorrect visas. (sometimes the school directors actually encourage them to "just go ahead and get a tourist visa while we work on getting the correct documents for you".

They become caught between the students and the laws in a way. Some of these teachers really love their jobs and their students and feel forced to do what they do as far as their visas go. (and no...I am not a teacher, I haven't been blessed with that ability!)

..."drug their feet" ...? 

Sorry...the term "drug your feet" describes someone who is or has performed a duty or task, but did so slowly or grudgingly. But if you research the use of the word "drug" as used in the past tense of "drag", you will find that it is not correct English and is used in the Dialect of those who live in the Southern U.S., The correct form of the word should actually have been "dragged". I stand corrected.

Edited by Lee4Life

Why so much hate towards teachers? Do your children go to these schools? Are they taking jobs from Thai's? I bet most teachers that are not paying taxes would gladly pay 2 or 3 times the taxes to be here legally.

Why not focus on the real problems with Thailand? Like people being slaves on fishing boats, the large amounts of prostitution, the buying and selling of dogs for food, the thousands of rice sacks that have been refilled with dust, the poachers killing elephants and other animals, the insurgency down south where monks, teachers, and police are constantly killed, the trash on the streets and beaches, the government situation, the blah blah blah. These are the REAL problems, and only a few of them...

because no matter how much we rant,we don't matter. Power to the immigration officer, the ashes of the dead in their stupas on the temple grounds have more influence than us,that's just the way it is.

By getting rid of the fakes, and increasing wages

Might as well wish for world peace and a cure for all known diseases, whilst your at it..........

Yep hes a blow hard just as I thought.

Not at all. Just a concerned parent that doesn't like people doing a job they can't do

This time next year visa's will be just as lax as they always were. Wait for the dust to settle.

Wait a wee bit longer until the next (s)elected government is established, just my hunch.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This time next year visa's will be just as lax as they always were. Wait for the dust to settle.

Wait a wee bit longer until the next (s)elected government is established, just my hunch.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think this time will be different.

The previous crack-downs just lasted a month, or so, then it was business as usual.

If they keep this policy whilst the army is in power, probably over a year, then this policy will become "business as usual".

Edited by KarenBravo

Good idea. First though. Kick out these so called teachers that are not in any way or form a teacher.

Weren't you the poster getting all hysterical over what turned out to be a troll post in the visa forum from someone saying they'd been refused entry and was stuck at Suvanabhum? Post after hysterical post of 'how do I work around my 28 day rotation'? Almost in tears you were. Since then you've been on here constantly berating those who find themselves unsure of how, whatever as yet unspecified, dictum, will affect others? The relief seems to have gone to your silly sanctimonious head.

By getting rid of the fakes, and increasing wages

Might as well wish for world peace and a cure for all known diseases, whilst your at it..........

Yep hes a blow hard just as I thought.

Not at all. Just a concerned parent that doesn't like people doing a job they can't do

So you have a child in the government school system?

So concerned you're willing to help organize the 70-90+k instead of 30k?

Which is what a fully accredited teachers wants and gets.

I'm saying probably not.

So you're not so concerned after all and just want gold at a bronze price.