What bike to buy for trips to Isaan

Topdeck

After 6 long years I have finally got my house were I can move in an live in it except for doors, but they are being made now, so I am looking for inspiration as to which bike to buy to one ride around Isaan enjoying the sights and two riding the 650 km to Bangkok for my flights to UK for work twice a year. My initial thoughts were on a Cb1300 and then I thought about reliability and parts, so I am throwing this subject open to the forum bike riders to put me and my 200,000 baht in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my D6503 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Road King Classic. Been as far north as Chiang Rai, as far south as Phuket/Krabi. As far west as Moei and as far east as Mukdahan. The original seat needs to be changed though unless you have a lot of cushion that I don't have.

Road King Classic. Been as far north as Chiang Rai, as far south as Phuket/Krabi. As far west as Moei and as far east as Mukdahan. The original seat needs to be changed though unless you have a lot of cushion that I don't have.

And that's within his price range !!! WOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

ER6n for 130-150k

Versys for 170-200k

09-11 will be cheaper than 12+ as Kawasaki did a lot of changes.

Other numbers to consider, First class will run you about 10-12k/year

Tires will run you 12-14k. They will last about just as long. and fuel is about 1bt/km

I would say with maintenc they will run you about 2.5b/km

Cb500 is less bike for about the same money, just newer

CB300/Ninja300 could also be a possibility. Better mpg, cheaper tires and start off around 120-140k depending on age (Ninja 300 has been out for a year, CB is brand new).

Of course you could always go with one of the older bikes like CBs, XJs, steeds, viragos etc etc, but you will not find many off the shelf parts making maintenance a bigger hassle. 

• Like 2

Love my Honda Forza for all around operational performance; enough power to pass safely and climb hills, good comfort, nice hole under the seat for storage, within your price range.  Not a high powered road warrior, but can get out of its own way when needed.  Go anywhere in Issan you want to go, but agree with the previous response; take the train or plane to go to work. 
  • Like 1

I own a Honda PCX 150 and it serves me very well in greater Chiang Mai.  If I had been buying now instead of 2 years ago, I would have gotten the Forza.  Same scooter design, but the single cylinder is twice the displacement at 280cc.  Very comfortable and a lot of storage room. Cost is about 180,000 Bhat.  

• Like 1

I'm in Chiang Mai, and for the better part of 3 years I traveled all over the north and north east on CBR's, both the f/i 150cc and 250. Then, due to some medical problems, I had to give up the sports bikes for a while.  I bought a Forza, and while it's not what I'm used to, all in all, it's a great bike.  Very comfortable riding  position, with variations on where you can place your feet.  Took it on a short trip to Lampang along with a friend who rented one for the day, and have no complaints.  As previously mentioned, good storage under the seat, and if you slap on a good sized box on the back, you can haul quite a lot.  It would have no problem doing the 650 klm trip to BKK, and do it easily on the body.  My son uses it on the weekends when he's home from teaching, and I have a new PCX for "backup", and for my wife to use.  It doesn't have the speed or "excitement" factor of my 250 CBR, but all in all, a great highway touring bike. 

Now, having said all that, my health is improving and come Christmas time, I'm going with the new CBR 300 or Ninja 300.  Haven't decided which yet, but I've still got time. Will rent each for a week and see which one is more to my liking.

You want to be comfortable as possible.  Speed is not important.  I would say comfort and ease of handling. It gets very hot and sunny, but the roads are usually very good.  I have done lots of traveling on mountain/trail bikes, and believe me, they are not made for what you will be doing 99 percent of the time. Plenty of stowage, good footpads, best tires for the rain (street bike) ...and the ability to lean way over in an emergency turn/maneuver.  I would go for the ABS system. Personally, I don't like leaning forward over a football gas tank, as my back and forearms suffer.  Cruising/touring bike is the best. No need to be setting speed records.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

Anything you like as long as it's NOT one of those ridiculously noisy HDs.

Have some respect for people and keep your exhaust under 90dB.

what a stupid comment , on a HD the cars around you know where you are ... on a singer sewing machine no one has a clue where you are , back to the topic IMO in the price range a second hand TMax 500 ... great bike and has storage , auto and handles like a sports bike ...

I would go with a Honda because that is the most popular bike so the repair and parts should be easy. I have a Honda wave 100 cc and it is enough power to pass and lead the field but I wish now I have a 125 cc for more power. The Honda Phanthom is a nice looking bike at 200cc and 225 cc. They don't make them anymore but you can get a good used one. Also if you are traveling to Bangkok from Chiang Mai you can take the night train and they will load your bike on the train with you. I hope this helps. 

good luck

Try the CB 500F or  the 500x, I have the 500F very comfortable on long rides plenty of power, but looking at buying the CB650F. All made in Thailand so no worries about spare parts,  plenty of 2nd hand (even mine) 500's on the market now following the introduction of the 650F. have a look at the Honda Bigwing site 

• Like 1

I would go with a Honda because that is the most popular bike so the repair and parts should be easy. I have a Honda wave 100 cc and it is enough power to pass and lead the field but I wish now I have a 125 cc for more power. The Honda Phanthom is a nice looking bike at 200cc and 225 cc. They don't make them anymore but you can get a good used one. Also if you are traveling to Bangkok from Chiang Mai you can take the night train and they will load your bike on the train with you. I hope this helps. 

good luck

You can have my Honda Phantom for a song. 150cc and 2 stroke, it cannot take a steep hill in 34 degree temperatures  without overheating.  Then again, it is the older model. There are four strokes with electric starts.  Mine is a dinosaur.

Edited by slipperylobster

Thank a lot for all your very helpful comments. After driving the route from Khenmarat to Bangkok, I know the roads very well and whatbtype of drivers use it. Mostly camacazee bus and truck drivers. So as big and load a bike as possible, comfortable and withers much overtaking power as possible, which is why I was looking at the big muscle bikes of yesteryear. Now it is interesting people as swayingbmore towards the modern 500/650 bikes.

Also depends on age, I am in my 30's and was comfortable going from Chumpon to Chiang Mai in a day o my Ninja 650. This was my daily driver as well around Chiang mai. You are more upright than you would think.

It is nicer than the 500f or r, has dual discs in the front and alot more grunt. Due to the Honda 650 it has dropped in resale value, just like the 500's.

The 500x might be a decent choice due to comfort level, but as I said in my first post, I would get a Versys over it. These are also coming down in price, but are quite a bit more expensive than the 500x

Ignore anyone who is telling you to get a scooter or take a bus/train. They fail to realize you actually enjoy the ride.

While I prefer Kawa to Honda, I would strongly consider the shops around you. Getting a Versys while having no Kawa shop around you means finding a reputable big bike shop, but even then this will hurt resale because it was not serviced at kawa, This goes for Big Wing as well.

I would also like to correct my math in the first post.

say you do 12k/year on a kawa

Insurance is ~1b/km

fuel is ~1b/km

Tires ~1b/km

3 oil changes and filters, 1 spark plug change, other things like sprockets/chain sets are 6k

so around another 1-1.5b/km

Expect to pay 4-5b/km for a newer Honda or Kawa 500-650

Got myself a 2nd hand Honda CB500X. Great seating position for comfort, enough power, cheap on gas, great handling, good for long trips.

If you don't mind the extra money and if you are tall enough, you can take a look at the Kawa Versys 650. Great touring bike as well.

Don't worry too much about repairs and spare parts. You will find good mechanics for big bikes all over Thailand. Check with the bike clubs.

Please consider ABS a must.

http://www.cb500x.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=dce22361e01340cb96f6f54c32c1a99a;action=forum

Thank a lot for all your very helpful comments. After driving the route from Khenmarat to Bangkok, I know the roads very well and whatbtype of drivers use it. Mostly camacazee bus and truck drivers. So as big and load a bike as possible, comfortable and withers much overtaking power as possible, which is why I was looking at the big muscle bikes of yesteryear. Now it is interesting people as swayingbmore towards the modern 500/650 bikes.

My leo vince slip on was ungodly loud when I got it up to 7k+

don't have a decent video of me revving mine, so here are two videos of others

http://youtu.be/WrevzpnUUNY?t=1m40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n1HknPI1BU

Decent, but still don't compare to real life.

It was great riding it in Thailand, bright Kawasaki green and loud as hell. Thai's on scooters actually looked my way before pulling out in front of me.

Hell, I would blip it while lane splitting to let people know I was coming.

I can send you picture my bike. It comes with premium coocase box.

I started with a CBR150 but that was too slow so I upgraded to a CBR400.

The CBR400 was perfect size IMO for Thailand but since it's older, it spent more time in the shop getting fixed than the time I spent riding it so I bought a 2002 CBR929.

The CBR929 has more power than I can use to be honest. 150hp is overkill for Thailand's roads and it's harder to get through traffic with a bigger bike. Also, bigger engine means more fuel.

I would get a newer 300cc-600cc if you want a fun bike. Sports bikes are not comfortable for road trips though!

Why not get yourself a 'muscle bike' if you're an experienced biker ?  Don't worry too much about spare parts and repair. These bike don't break down every day.

Google will help you find any spare part.

what a stupid comment , on a HD the cars around you know where you are ... on a singer sewing machine no one has a clue where you are , back to the topic IMO in the price range a second hand TMax 500 ... great bike and has storage , auto and handles like a sports bike ...

What a stupid comment. You seem to like making lots of noise just so that cars know where you are. I don't know how you drive a car but I use my eyes first and ears second. A pedestrian makes almost no noise and if I relied on my ears to know where they are I'd have killed hundreds. On the motorcycle wear bright/reflective colours to aid in making you visible. Noisy HDs riding around inner city with their 100+ decibels disturbs people. Show some respect.

I am woken at least twice a week in the middle of the night when a 6 house away neighbor arrives on his HD revving and revving it while he waits for his GF to open the gate. If the noisy bike doesn't wake me the barking dogs, who are also woken with the noise, do.

Get a crf 250l and hit some of the dirt trails as well. I wouldn't be riding to Bkk from issan, just fly or take the bus.

Moto from Isan to BKK twice a year? Even of you are a world class rider- it's not a matter of if but rather a matter of "when" you will get in an accident. Buss, private taxi, or fly to BKK. I wouldn't let that discourage you from going on road trips though. We used to ride from Phnom Penh through Thailand and back.

What a stupid comment. You seem to like making lots of noise just so that cars know where you are. I don't know how you drive a car but I use my eyes first and ears second. A pedestrian makes almost no noise and if I relied on my ears to know where they are I'd have killed hundreds. On the motorcycle wear bright/reflective colours to aid in making you visible. Noisy HDs riding around inner city with their 100+ decibels disturbs people. Show some respect.

I am woken at least twice a week in the middle of the night when a 6 house away neighbor arrives on his HD revving and revving it while he waits for his GF to open the gate. If the noisy bike doesn't wake me the barking dogs, who are also woken with the noise, do.

sounds like you have other issues ....bigger than the HD noise ...i feel for you .... perhaps buy a HD and get a smile back on your face , when you ride u barely hear the noise !!!

• Like 2

Kawasaki er6n seems to fit price and style has anyone had much experience with them, but I am still being swayed by the dinosaurs cb1300 etc there is a nice one on Hd-playground at present.