Bad Honda Marketing affecting 2013/2014 model owners....

umbanda

I never liked to buy brand new cars because the instant depreciation, but last year I did. I bought a Honda 2013. One of the reasons I bought Honda was because hold well its resale value...but...Yesterday I stop by a Honda Dealer, and its are selling brand new 2013/2014 leftovers of former body style units with up to 150000thb discount.

That means...If I wants to sell my City now....I will have that amount over the normal depreciation...No good at all.

Same thing with any outdated product mate - Iphone 5 is next... how about your tv...?

Sorry..That kind the marketing doesn't happen in the US with what is called leaders cars, low priced models, only in luxury cars and models..and not with open marketing. Factories and dealers sell leftovers low priced models to rental companies at discounted prices. It is not the same game like with appliances. People do not re-sell appliances, or is worry with appliances depreciation values...at least in the US.

By the way...I was in the car business in the US for a while.....I learned now something more about the Thai market...in a hard way.

Well it's not only Honda  - I can speak for Nissan when they rolled out the new truck, all the old version like mine that were still in stock went on sale with 100k off etc to blow them out.

Pretty sure all the manufacturers do it. 

Btw, I have close friends in the car business back home - they always hand end of model year sales before the new ones came out. 

Well it's not only Honda  - I can speak for Nissan when they rolled out the new truck, all the old version like mine that were still in stock went on sale with 100k off etc to blow them out.

Pretty sure all the manufacturers do it.

when I purchased my 2014 Mazda 3 I could have had a 2013 top spec mazda 3 for 250k discount of sticker price.

One interesting exception at Honda Thailand is regarding the Honda City.  The New City had a major redesign and is noticeably different to the prior years (2008-2013).  However, they are still selling the older body style in a CNG version only.  I'm not sure how long this will go on or why it's happening.

Same thing with any outdated product mate - Iphone 5 is next... how about your tv...?

Sorry..That kind the marketing doesn't happen in the US with what is called leaders cars, low priced models, only in luxury cars and models..and not with open marketing. Factories and dealers sell leftovers low priced models to rental companies at discounted prices. It is not the same game like with appliances. People do not re-sell appliances, or is worry with appliances depreciation values...at least in the US.

By the way...I was in the car business in the US for a while.....I learned now something more about the Thai market...in a hard way.

Sorry to disappoint you but you are grossly incorrect and clearly incompetent.

Dealers around the world offer huge discounts on last years models and sell it to anyone wanting to buy.

Value on your car does not drop further 150K, it depreciates accordingly to the year.

If you want to see your car after a few months of ownership and dealer is selling with huge discount, yeah you have to offer price lower than a dealer, because they are selling brand new car and you are selling used car.-Common sense really.

• Like 1

You bought an outgoing model before the dealership sales. not there fault you could not wait.

No my friend. At that time that model in particular was just released, more than a year ago. That king of marketing with outdated cars is not common, not even permitted to dealers in the US. Will be even more loss for people that bought the updated model for 2014 just 3 months ago. In the US, new models and any incoming changes are announced way in advance, and older models are out of the show room. But..... I understand that is another market. Was a learning experience for me..and may be useful for other new people in Thailand. My fault...not enough research.

You bought an outgoing model before the dealership sales. not there fault you could not wait.

No my friend. At that time that model in particular was just released, more than a year ago. That king of marketing with outdated cars is not common, not even permitted to dealers in the US. Will be even more loss for people that bought the updated model for 2014 just 3 months ago. In the US, new models and any incoming changes are announced way in advance, and older models are out of the show room. But..... I understand that is another market. Was a learning experience for me..and may be useful for other new people in Thailand. My fault...not enough research.

Really the 2013 was a new release and less than a year later they updated it. I do not believe that for one second.

Toyota Dealers sometimes bid on a nice Customers trade in,Honda call round the trade generally, i doubt if the O/P. has lost much long term, just creating a U.S. V Thailand argument as he sees it..Im sure we would all love U.S Prices and choice.

You must be REALLY upset to have posted 2 threads on the topic are you twice as miffed in that case?

On the topic, your circumstance is why research is so important prior to purchase, while admittedly that's no guarantee against this happening, one must keep up to date with model change overs/updates, many sources around for doing that these days, not really rocket science with the advent of computers..

Edited by WarpSpeed

so Americans should pay more like you did so you are not in a disadvantaged position?  strange logic should be the reverse.

Let me get this right...a company should not clear out their stocks in order that their customers can treat a vehicle that costs less than a nice motorcycle as an investment?

You sure did work in the car business!

• 2 weeks later...

One interesting exception at Honda Thailand is regarding the Honda City.  The New City had a major redesign and is noticeably different to the prior years (2008-2013).  However, they are still selling the older body style in a CNG version only.  I'm not sure how long this will go on or why it's happening.

Hi.Probably because the latest redesign does not yet have a CNG version. Been there, asked. I'll wait.