How to determine the asking price for my vehicle

gp2002

I may have to sell my vehicle in the very near future and I was wondering how I go about determining the asking price. Should I go to the car dealership and ask them what they think it's worth?

As well.......if anyone could give me some information on the steps involved in selling my vehicle privately I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks

Go to a couple of dealers, and aftermarket used cars area. Ask them how much they would buy your car for in cash.

If they say 400,000. Then your real car price is about 480,000 or 500,000.

Next check the newspaper for a similar year and amount of mileage. They will show the selling price.

Go to a used cars area, that you haven't gone to before, and pretend that you are buying a car with similar specs to your car. Of course, don't drive your car LOL, that would be utterly weird.

Take their selling price - their buying price = Your private selling price.

Cheers

• Like 2

This website

https://www.redbookasiapacific.com/rbcert/index.php?lang=en&cc=th

gives you very accurate information; THB 100 per query and you need a credit card. Used it various times - spot on. Forget about the local dealers as they live on a margin. The lower for you the more margin for them ;-)

Depends also on the vehicle. Limos etc. are easier in Bangkok, trucks and fancy buggies etc. in Phuket, Pattaya. Good Luck! 

Try selling private, dealers really do offer lowball prices.One2car as already stated has a good selection.

This website classifieds, Craigslist and Bahtsold are a good start to also gauge prices plus to advertise, however be prepared for the idiot emails offering 50% advertised price and never wanting to call only email.

If you live in a prominent position, "For Sale" sign on the car in Thai especially and English with the phone number will get numerous enquiries and from people locally and that can actually view.  

Have heard recently in Pattaya that Foreigners selling vehicles also need a residence letter from immigration along with the signed transfer form which seems stupid to me, so maybe be prepared for that.

My other question is this:

I have one more year to pay on my car loan. What must I do in order to sell the car? Can I sell it and then pay off the remainder of the loan or do I have to pay off the loan first?

Thanks again

In my case, I was allowed to pay the entire remaining loan amount off instantly, and the book sent to me within a few weeks if I remember correctly. Contact the leasing department for more detail. If Nissan, then contact Nissan leasing. for example

I have one more year to pay on my car loan. What must I do in order to sell the car? Can I sell it and then pay off the remainder of the loan or do I have to pay off the loan first?

Thanks again

If you lucky to transfer the loan,you may save yourself the penalty,that normally(?) is around 50% of remaining interest+ the balance of course....

What vehicle, what age, how many owners, what condition and how many kms on the clock ?

Ford Escape

1 owner

Excellent condition in and out

28,000 kms

Are any of the electrics still working ?

Everything works great!

Great information so far everyone........thank you!

Not stated which area you are in or how much research you are prepared to do but larger cities usually have public auctions of 'repo' bikes and cars - Take a Thai speaker along to an auction for an insight into what dealers and others pay

Edited by Capt Rob

Thanks again

You have to pay off you loan first, there will be some penalty because the credit company will lose some of its expected income.

Be advised it will not be easy to sell your car.

I saw many advices on this forum.  The fact is, credit company's who will give loans for second hand car can give you the exact value of your car.

Mostly they do not take in consideration any extra's, optionals on the car for there calculations.

They also take in consideration which car brands are more popular.   Unfortunely Ford is not in high demand at the second hand markets.   And its very hard to sell a car of only 3-4 years old with still a high value.    It is not easy to find customers who will be able to borrow many 100.000 's for a 3-4 year old cars and pass the finance company application.   Many times it is more easy and cheaper to buy a new car with the offerings from the car dealers in combination with the finance company's which work together with the dealers.  

I was in the market for a second hand car (budget 400 K, I wanted to pay 200 K cash and 200 k loan), I was refused.   So we went out to a dealer, gave deposit of 200 K, bought a new car from 800 K,  the loan was approved within a few hours and at very low interest. 

Friends of mine, had to wait over 6 months to sell a European car from 3-4 year old car which costed new 1.8 million finally they sold it for only 650 K. The value of the car was still about 800-850K.

Good luck.

Thanks again

You have to pay off you loan first, there will be some penalty because the credit company will lose some of its expected income.

Be advised it will not be easy to sell your car.

I saw many advices on this forum.  The fact is, credit company's who will give loans for second hand car can give you the exact value of your car.

Mostly they do not take in consideration any extra's, optionals on the car for there calculations.

They also take in consideration which car brands are more popular.   Unfortunely Ford is not in high demand at the second hand markets.   And its very hard to sell a car of only 3-4 years old with still a high value.    It is not easy to find customers who will be able to borrow many 100.000 's for a 3-4 year old cars and pass the finance company application.   Many times it is more easy and cheaper to buy a new car with the offerings from the car dealers in combination with the finance company's which work together with the dealers.  

I was in the market for a second hand car (budget 400 K, I wanted to pay 200 K cash and 200 k loan), I was refused.   So we went out to a dealer, gave deposit of 200 K, bought a new car from 800 K,  the loan was approved within a few hours and at very low interest. 

Friends of mine, had to wait over 6 months to sell a European car from 3-4 year old car which costed new 1.8 million finally they sold it for only 650 K. The value of the car was still about 800-850K.

Good luck.

Thanks for that. Needless to say it doesn't sound too encouraging.

Remember, the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it....

It's a buyers market right now unfortunately for you..!!

But just get an ad in the classifieds, if you need to sell, and see what happens. Sometimes the right person is looking and wants your motor :)