BRITISH VISA

Recently went to apply for Visa for wife to visit UK in September. The fee is quoted in Baht, I payed for it on my B'card and got charged $142, so an additional few quid because it was a 'foreign' transaction.

And 85 quid for a visa is THREE times what her Thai, 5 yr passport cost.

Are we being ripped off or what?

If you are being ripped off, it isn't the Exchequer that is doing it. Visitor visas are charged at about half their actual cost, unlike some other visas which include a non-refundable immigrant tax (justified by regard to future earnings).

AND, the six months starts from the day you apply for the Visa, not six months from the day you enter UK.

What a load of b...locks.

No six months from the date the Visa issued unless you ask for it to be post dated (up to 3 months) in the case of a six month visit visa.

The question of being charged in USD rather than Sterling has been discussed at length in this topic.

You will see from there that the Home Office have provided feeble excuses for this which don't hold water; but no real explanation.

As for the start date; all UK visas are valid from the later of the day the visa is issued or the date requested in the application, which can be up to three months ahead.

Edit: Basil beat me to it.

Edited by 7by7