Recommend someone to prepare/file personal Thai tax return in Ubon or Sisaket

SantiSuk

Hitherto I have not been liable to tax (Thai income not above personal tax-free allowance), so have never registered or filed. Now need to. Wife too probably.

Any recommendations? Prefer to pay more for someone who can speak English, but could get by with my Thai plus wife.

If you have a good recommendation in Surin or any other province one or two provinces away I might need to travel if no local recommendations are forthcoming.

The person I deal with is not local ( Bangkok ) and doesn't speak English, BUT seems to be very reliable ( follow up calls on my monthly filing, reminding me what I have to do and when etc. ). I E-Mail her whatever info she asks from me and a few days later get an EMS letter with papers to sign and hand in at the revenue department.

When I first started the business, I was looking for a local and preferably english speaking accountant, with no luck. A relative recommended the lady in bkk and so far she has been great.

Edit: If interested in her, let me know and I will PM you her phonenumber and E-Mail address.

Edited by NiwPix
  • Like 1

The person I deal with is not local ( Bangkok ) and doesn't speak English, BUT seems to be very reliable ( follow up calls on my monthly filing, reminding me what I have to do and when etc. ). I E-Mail her whatever info she asks from me and a few days later get an EMS letter with papers to sign and hand in at the revenue department.

When I first started the business, I was looking for a local and preferably english speaking accountant, with no luck. A relative recommended the lady in bkk and so far she has been great.

Edit: If interested in her, let me know and I will PM you her phonenumber and E-Mail address.

Thanks very much NiwPix. I'll wait and see if anyone knows someone local, otherwise I'll come back to you for the details

my wife registered me,she was already in the system from her job 1985.she just went along to the revenue office and they done it all.if you look at bank interest rates and claiming tax refunds you will see its very easy.find out from them what documents they need,eg.passport,house book,if you want to claim a tax refund from bank accounts,the bank will issue tax certificates,and your savings pass books.no need to pay anyone.

Thanks Meatboy.

As indicated in my op, I now expect to be paying tax, not reclaiming it. I have never bothered to reclaim tax suffered on Thai bank interest in this country before, because it would not save me anything on my overall world-wide taxes. I am still UK resident for tax purposes and I declare my Thai interest income to the UK taxman; I'm taxed in the UK on the gross interest, but claim a credit for Thai tax I have already effectively paid here (through deductions/retentions made by the bank). If I claimed back the tax on interest suffered from the Thai tax man I would just have to pay more to the UK taxman*. There would be a minor advantage based on higher marginal rates in the UK but life's too short to go chasing that. I guess there is lots of scope to cheat on taxes on one side of the world or the other but I have always preferred to be squeaky clean myself.

Thanks to those who are suggesting I can do it all myself. I'm pretty experienced - a retired qualified UK Chartered Accountant, and one who submits his own reasonably complex UK tax return each year. However, I thought that for Thailand the tax return would be only in Thai and/or the return had to be completed in Thai. If either of these are correct then I need Thai assistance. Happy to hear if you/others can tell me that a tax return is available in, and can be completed in, English

[*Try explaining that to a Krungsri bank poppet, who is desperate to make you divide deposits into five accounts so that interest can be paid gross - they just end up thinking you're mad and careless!]

Edited by SantiSuk

"Happy to hear if you/others can tell me that a tax return is available in, and can be completed in, English"

The form is available in English. It used to be online. See if you can locate and download it.
You have to file on the Thai version of the form.

Really easy to do. Fill out the English version. Set the English and Thai versions side by side and transfer the info from one to the other.
The forms are identical as far as item numbering, and in the same locations on both forms.

If a person still needs help, they can go to the Revenue Department and someone will sit down with you and help fill out the form.
My experience with that is that you need to take someone with you who can speak Thai and English.

I'm encouraged to go for the self-prepare route with my wife as translator.

Anyone looking who knows where the Tax Office in Sisaket is? I asked a few in the bar in Kantharalak and those who did not duck below the counter agreed that there probably was not one at Amphur level.

Your local Amphur office should have it's own tax department, or at least my Amphur has one anyway, they even have 2 or 3 staff working there I think.  They've never seemed busy when we've been to visit though, but were really helpful.

You can actually file your Thai tax online, although you should probably still initially go into the office to get your tax number/card if you'll be filing it under your name (Your wife's should just be her ID number).  When I did mine, they were really helpful and showed my wife and I how to access the website etc so that we could do it ourselves next time (Although we still continued to just go into their office each year lol, it just seemed easiest since there were never any queues and they were so helpful).

Also I'm not familiar with UK taxation law, but I'd say that so long as you filed a tax return in Thailand, even if it resulted in a tax refund, that your funds still wouldn't be taxable in the UK.  As it's about which country has the "right" to tax you on which income, if they then choose to tax you at 1%, 50% or 0%, that's upto them.  At least I think that's the general jist of how my NZ accountant explained it to me regarding my NZ & Thai tax returns (Although of course, refer to the UK/Thai double taxation agreement directly for confirmation, or check with your accountant in the UK, just to be sure).

Your local Amphur office should have it's own tax department, or at least my Amphur has one anyway, they even have 2 or 3 staff working there I think.  They've never seemed busy when we've been to visit though, but were really helpful.

You can actually file your Thai tax online, although you should probably still initially go into the office to get your tax number/card if you'll be filing it under your name (Your wife's should just be her ID number).  When I did mine, they were really helpful and showed my wife and I how to access the website etc so that we could do it ourselves next time (Although we still continued to just go into their office each year lol, it just seemed easiest since there were never any queues and they were so helpful).

Also I'm not familiar with UK taxation law, but I'd say that so long as you filed a tax return in Thailand, even if it resulted in a tax refund, that your funds still wouldn't be taxable in the UK.  As it's about which country has the "right" to tax you on which income, if they then choose to tax you at 1%, 50% or 0%, that's upto them.  At least I think that's the general jist of how my NZ accountant explained it to me regarding my NZ & Thai tax returns (Although of course, refer to the UK/Thai double taxation agreement directly for confirmation, or check with your accountant in the UK, just to be sure).

I did mention that in post # 3. Sisaket's tax department is easygoing, helpful, they speak little English and nothing is impossible.

Located in the main building of the city hall, Kasikam Road. 

I did mention that in post # 3. Sisaket's tax department is easygoing, helpful, they speak little English and nothing is impossible.

Located in the main building of the city hall, Kasikam Road. 
In the main entrance of the large building behind the lawn (on the first floor)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

My girlfriend works for the revenue office and used to work in Sisaket but has transferred to a nearby province, right now she is advicing small businesses on how to properly report their taxes but still visits Sisaket regularly (I am here).

She speaks and writes very good English, communication between her and you would not be an issue, if you are looking for assistance I would be happy to run it by her and ask her if she is interested making a bath or two by assisting you.

Edited by spacemand
  • Like 1

My girlfriend works for the revenue office and used to work in Sisaket but has transferred to a nearby province, right now she is advicing small businesses on how to properly report their taxes but still visits Sisaket regularly (I am here).

She speaks and writes very good English, communication between her and you would not be an issue, if you are looking for assistance I would be happy to run it by her and ask her if she is interested making a bath or two by assisting you.

I'm always surprised how helpful members on the Isaan forum are. Can't believe that she'll make a bath, or two for SantiSuk, while assisting him. thumbsup.gif  

• Like 1

I'm always surprised how helpful members on the Isaan forum are. Can't believe that she'll make a bath, or two for SantiSuk, while assisting him. thumbsup.gif  

Took me 3 reads to get it.

Her English is better than mine :D

I need a photograph before committing to assisted bath services from your wife Spacemandtongue.png.

But seriously .....

Having made an issue out of this on a TV thread I feel a little bit stupid

The TOT guy who came to fix our internet this morning told me where the Kantharalak Tax Office is (!) and I went there this afternoon with my wife. Clearly every Amphur does have one as the dirt-small shitkicker amphur town nearest to where I live (Sri Rattana: population 500 and a dog) has one also.

So much for the combined local intelligence of the bar crowd in Pizza4Usmile.png

Feeling stupid because I don't need to pay tax, even though my interest income on Thai bank accounts is non-trivial. The 15% already deducted by the bank is more than sufficient to dispense with any tax liability until and unless I make 500-600k or thereabouts in gross interest per annum, which I may do next year but not yet. They don't seem keen to register me for tax if I don't need to pay additional tax.

My expat tax adviser tells me I need to make a statement to the UK taxman (and maybe required to evidence it) that I am registered for tax and paying the necessary in Thailand if I want to leave the UK for tax purposes ("go non-resident UK"). Let's see what happens when I say to the UK taxman "here's my bank books - see the tax taken off and I'm told that I don't need to register or do anything else here in Thailand"! Deafening suspicion I suspect.

Many thanks to all those who contributed to the journey to my (ultimately unnecessary) quest thumbsup.gif

She won't give me a bath :( I figured if she made some extra baht from a job I found for her maybe she would give me a bath or two for assisting ;)

In all seriousness I have suggested to her do some farang assiting on a freelance basis, because she knows the bureaucracy, where every office is located and her English is very, very good. I know I have taken advantage of her serveral times, for help with dealing with official issues. (mind out gutter :D)

• Like 2

I need a photograph before committing to assisted bath services from your wife Spacemandtongue.png.

But seriously .....

Having made an issue out of this on a TV thread I feel a little bit stupid

The TOT guy who came to fix our internet this morning told me where the Kantharalak Tax Office is (!) and I went there this afternoon with my wife. Clearly every Amphur does have one as the dirt-small shitkicker amphur town nearest to where I live (Sri Rattana: population 500 and a dog) has one also.

So much for the combined local intelligence of the bar crowd in Pizza4Usmile.png

Feeling stupid because I don't need to pay tax, even though my interest income on Thai bank accounts is non-trivial. The 15% already deducted by the bank is more than sufficient to dispense with any tax liability until and unless I make 500-600k or thereabouts in gross interest per annum, which I may do next year but not yet. They don't seem keen to register me for tax if I don't need to pay additional tax.

My expat tax adviser tells me I need to make a statement to the UK taxman (and maybe required to evidence it) that I am registered for tax and paying the necessary in Thailand if I want to leave the UK for tax purposes ("go non-resident UK"). Let's see what happens when I say to the UK taxman "here's my bank books - see the tax taken off and I'm told that I don't need to register or do anything else here in Thailand"! Deafening suspicion I suspect.

Many thanks to all those who contributed to the journey to my (ultimately unnecessary) quest thumbsup.gif

So much for the combined local intelligence of the bar crowd in Pizza4U

​      Now you made me spit my coffee over the notebook's keyboard and it immediately shut down.

You should have known better and asked the really old and "funner" ( a new created English word) American with the ability to smoke more in less time to blame. Or similar.

I hope you'll pay for the repair shop. Thanks in advance.

Please be aware that you can't bribe me with a cheap pizza, Aeeh, maybe with some cold beers...hmmm///