If you fill out your house address on your arrival card

A TM28 should not be needed unless you move. The TM30 once should also be enough.

The immigration office up here does not ask for either one.. Just did my extension application there this morning.

thanks, I was hopin you'd wander by. just to be safe , we are planning on taking a TM30 into the police station when we arrive.

Neither my tiirak (who is the registered owner of our house) nor I have bothered completing either form upon my return from my annual trips to Europe - and, to date, we've not had that dreaded 3AM knock on our front door.

Edited by OJAS

Well neither my tiirak (who is the registered owner of our house) nor I have bothered with either form upon my return from my annual trips to Europe - and, to date, we've not had that dreaded 3AM knock on our front door.

you can mail it in

The have been people in the past that tried to give immigration a TM28 form and they didn't want it.

I can assure that if you tried to give either from to your local police office there is a good chance they will not even know what it is for.

ours know about the tm30 as a number of guys have been reporting in for years

So if I change hotels after a few days during my next visit I will need to go an fill out tm.28 and visit the local immigration office and get it signed etc?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I don't think immigration is going to be chasing people down for not doing TM28 forms. Most hotels report your presence after you check in.

do you then have to fill out a form TM28 for immigration once you arrive at your house? Or just a TM30 by the registered owner?

The requirement to make the notification with the form TM.28 depends on the type of permission to stay you have. See the penultimate paragraph of Section 37 of the Immigration Act, which exempts all foreigners who have a temporary permission to stay for this requirement.

The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as
prescribed by the Director General.

There is just one little problem: nobody knows what the "conditions as prescribed by the Director General" of the Police Department mentioned in the above paragraph are and what the Ministerial Regulations referred to in Section 34(15) say. A medal to the first member who posts the links to these two documents or a scanned copy of them.

• Like 1

So if I change hotels after a few days during my next visit I will need to go an fill out tm.28 and visit the local immigration office and get it signed etc?

I don't think immigration is going to be chasing people down for not doing TM28 forms. Most hotels report your presence after you check in.

Well, according to the OP that's exactly what just happened. Yes, hotels send their form, but as I understand it you also have to send yours.

You are responsible for reporting your own address via a TM28 according to existing rules which up until now have been rarely enforced....

This is completely separate from your address on your arrival card, or your hotel provider / housemaster report (TM30) or your (TM47) 90 day report if on an extension of stay....

Edited by mxyzptlk

You are responsible for reporting your own address via a TM28 according to existing rules which up until now have been rarely enforced....

form tm28 seems to be for a CHANGE of province. if you go directly to the address given on the arrival card, you are not changing province

OK AJD, I stand corrected

Update:

Just had a look at the TM28 and it says

FORM FOR ALIENS TO NOTIFY THEIR CHANGE OF ADDRESS 

OR THEIR STAY IN THE PROVINCE FOR OVER 24 HOURS 

Not arguing, just saying what the form says
Also it says change of address and not change of province
Edited by mxyzptlk

Neither my tiirak (who is the registered owner of our house) nor I have bothered completing either form upon my return from my annual trips to Europe - and, to date, we've not had that dreaded 3AM knock on our front door.

I don't really see immigration officers knocking on doors at 3am

SO...  If you change address  OR  stay in another province longer than 24hrs ... you must file a Form TM28.

Got it.

'nuff said

~

I had my say on the latter condition yesterday - that's straight out of Nazi Germany. I get the logic behind most of Immigration's requirements, but what is this obsession with knowing exactly where aliens are at any given point in time ? I can only assume that various druggies and other criminals have done a runner and proven hard to track down in the past, but are those people ever going to toe the line anyway ? I'm not even sure this madness stops with foreigners - when I mentioned the need for us to carry a copy of our passports at all times - granted, an old rule now being enforced - I was reminded that Thai people have to have their ID card on them at all times. We're also talking about a country where the Police have ridden roughshod over the general populace for many years while a corrupt judicial system caters to those with money and power. 

When I came to this board, I couldn't understand why many seemed so bitter re Thailand - I still think some have let it completely cloud their perspective, but I'm beginning to see where that bitterness can creep into one's attitude. I know this isnt Australia and I left that country behind the day I got on the plane, but for a country with the illusion of so much 'freedom', Thailand - whether under military rule or not - still has the vestiges of a medieval fiefdom complete with peasants and overlords, It might be different if I had any trust in the Thai police farce at all, but sadly I have none - the prospect of allowing them to pore over my passport does absolutely nothing for me, particularly when I doubt that many of them even know the ruling about foreigners reporting to them when they leave their province,

It was one thing to be cautious about leaving the country pre August 12, another to be told I cant leave Chonburi Province without feeling like a parolee. If that makes me a bitter old fart, so be it - this is one aspect of the crackdown that leaves me cold. Happy to discuss it further with those who actually do report to police in Bangkok each time they need to leave their beloved province simply to visit the capital

• Like 1

OK AJD, I stand corrected

Update:

Just had a look at the TM28 and it says

FORM FOR ALIENS TO NOTIFY THEIR CHANGE OF ADDRESS 

OR THEIR STAY IN THE PROVINCE FOR OVER 24 HOURS 

Not arguing, just saying what the form says
Also it says change of address and not change of province

at the bottom of the form, it specifies a change of address or ANOTHER province

หมายเหตุ ๑. ย้ายที่พักต้องแจ้งภายใน ๒๔ ชั่วโมง
Your local police station must be notified of any change of address within 24 hours.
๒.ไปอยู่ต่างจังหวัดเกิน ๒๔ ชั่วโมง ต้องแจ้งภายใน ๔๘ ชั่วโมง
A stay in another of over 24 hours must be reported with 48 hours of arrival in that place

SO...  If you change address  OR  stay in another province longer than 24hrs ... you must file a Form TM28.

Got it.

'nuff said

~

I had my say on the latter condition yesterday - that's straight out of Nazi Germany. I get the logic behind most of Immigration's requirements, but what is this obsession with knowing exactly where aliens are at any given point in time ? I can only assume that various druggies and other criminals have done a runner and proven hard to track down in the past, but are those people ever going to toe the line anyway ? I'm not even sure this madness stops with foreigners - when I mentioned the need for us to carry a copy of our passports at all times - granted, an old rule now being enforced - I was reminded that Thai people have to have their ID card on them at all times. We're also talking about a country where the Police have ridden roughshod over the general populace for many years while a corrupt judicial system caters to those with money and power. 

When I came to this board, I couldn't understand why many seemed so bitter re Thailand - I still think some have let it completely cloud their perspective, but I'm beginning to see where that bitterness can creep into one's attitude. I know this isnt Australia and I left that country behind the day I got on the plane, but for a country with the illusion of so much 'freedom', Thailand - whether under military rule or not - still has the vestiges of a medieval fiefdom complete with peasants and overlords, It might be different if I had any trust in the Thai police farce at all, but sadly I have none - the prospect of allowing them to pore over my passport does absolutely nothing for me, particularly when I doubt that many of them even know the ruling about foreigners reporting to them when they leave their province,

It was one thing to be cautious about leaving the country pre August 12, another to be told I cant leave Chonburi Province without feeling like a parolee. If that makes me a bitter old fart, so be it - this is one aspect of the crackdown that leaves me cold. Happy to discuss it further with those who actually do report to police in Bangkok each time they need to leave their beloved province simply to visit the capital

Bitter old fart..... Nah, surely not you worldly wise...lol

The have been people in the past that tried to give immigration a TM28 form and they didn't want it.
I can assure that if you tried to give either from to your local police office there is a good chance they will not even know what it is for.

Have had exactly this experience. The police station had no idea what it was for. Also my house owner is a policeman, and he's never filed a TM 30. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.